Alert: Argentina Squad for games in North America

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Going to be a lot of disappointed ticket-buyers.

2. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. Remember that Japan are currently a very very good team. If you saw any of the Asia Cup, you would realise that Argentina losing is truly understandable. Argentina also played a B+/A- team there. The notable feature was the terrible play of Andres D'Allessando, who interestingly was the MOTM when he thrashed the USA in one of his early caps in 2003. D'Allessandro simply got beaten down by Makoto Hasebe, and the Argentines were completely outclassed by Nagatomo, Uchida and Okazaki. (US fans may remember Nagatomo and Uchida from their great play against the US in the Olympics)

The current Argentina they are bringing over reminds me of that experimental Japan team. Argentina are testing out less established guys and playing them with their vets, and currently they are looking for a de facto replacement for Riquelme. Since the aforementioned D'Allessandro was a giant bust, I think they are now looking at Javier Pastore and Mario Bolatti, and Argentina fully intend to surround them with the A-Team. So, in a way, this is the new look Argentina A-Team.

That said, the question remains how Pastore and Bolatti are going to do against the USA. Like I said, either they are going to rise to occasion or they are going to crap the bed. As we learned in the 2010 World Cup, if Argentina's central midfield breaks down, the whole team shuts off. If we can get under the skin of the number 10 shirt, the USA can pull off a draw (Or a possible win) just like they have done against Argentina in 1999 (1-0 victory) and 2008 (0-0 draw).

In both of those results, Argentina were experimenting much the same, 8 or so A-Teamers with 3 or so newcomers. In 1999, Argentina were playing Anders Guglielminpietro and Pablo Aimar in the mid (Only Aimar really broke through) and got shut down by Reyna/Armas. In 2008, Argentina tested Fernando Cavenaghi and Lisandro Lopez. Oh wait..You don't know those guys? Yeah. Because when you crap the bed while wearing the Argentina kit, you don't get to wear it anymore (unless your name is Martin Palermo).

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Didnt bolatti just move to Internacional alongside D'alessandro? My money is on Pastore being the new heir.

Palermo got a second chance ONLY cause of Diego. But really, he deserved it. He is a legend in Argentina/for boca.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The hair apparent?

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL This guy.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Seriously. I haven't told the 110 folks on my bus trip that haven't paid me yet for the tickets.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Will this game be played on the artificial surface, or will they put in a temporary grass field?

certainly field conditions (and injury worries) might be a factor in this roster's eagerness (or lack there of) to compete in the friendly in NJ.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I would almost guarantee that a grass field will be installed for this.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    if that's the case, I hope it's being given enough time to "take" and firm up, and then hold up during the match.

10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Zanetti has been around forever.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm sure the field will have several hours to take and firm up, at least.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh yeah, its been an early warm and dry spring here in the northeast.

13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct on Bolatti. He just moved to Inter last month and has started to create a buzz. Pastore was a new face bought in by Maradona, and yes, Argentina are clearly aiming to run the midfield through him. Both get the keys to the full strength Argentina side. If they can tear up the USA, they will be in the Copa America squad and hot chicks all over the world will coo over them. If they can't, they end up in the dustbin where Fernando Cavenaghi and Guillermo Schelotto were thrown- quality players not good enough for the full squad, and the quest for the next Riquelme continues.

And speaking of Riquelme, any hope of hearing Ray Hudson calling this game? :) His homoerotic fascination with the way Argentina plays football has always given me a chuckle. :D

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They were 'Spain' before Spain! :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE"]YouTube - Argentina 25 passes goal[/ame]

But yea, I think pastore will show the best. ALthough no one will match riquelme when he was at his best for a WHILE.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why do you say that? Copa America is right around the corner and if there's one thing Argentina needs to learn between now and July it is how to get the most out of Messi.

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tiki tiki!, no tiki taka!

We been playing pass,pass,pass, then explode, for years, long before the Spanish.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBXHXY_-9k"]YouTube - Diego Maradona Argentina vs Greece 3-0 First Round World Cup 1994 Dutch commentary[/ame]

It should be an interesting game for both sides, I really looked forward to it.

1 person likes this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't you think Messi could afford a decent pair of pants.

Look at the holes in those things!

He needs to sew on some MLS team patches (or something).

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, the highest paid footballer (getting paid 30million euro yearly with salary and sponsors) in the world right now can afford better pants then that. :p

SEriously though, those are some cool jeans.

1 person likes this.
  20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cool.... Pretty cool hu? Glad you missed the entire point of what I was trying to say, but okay....

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    1 person likes this.
  23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You'd think a guy making $40M/Y could afford a skycap.

Or maybe that's Leo's money suitcase that no one else can touch.