Aren't we americans?

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by chinofan, Oct 18, 2003.

1. chinofan

chinofan New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Uruguay
    Look at this thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1712895#post1712895

Why do US citizens call themselves americans as if it were the same? I'm american since the day I was born. I like to be american but now it seems I'm not.
    If you are born in Europe then you are european I think.
    Then when you correct someone about this they feel you are some kind of fanatic anti-US weirdo. Why criticism about this isn't accepted?.
    I know you can be used to call US people americans, but it is not right. An effort should be put in changing this. This effort should come from the rest of the americans (which are the majority), it won't come from USA. Am I the only guy in the rest of America that gets pissed by this?
    People is getting used to it and it's very wrong. I belong to this continent too. It's a subtle way of saying "you don't exist".
    There should exist a word as Canada has canadian and China has chinese.

Vote Chinofan for president.

2. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    18th of the month and your medicine all ready ran out?

What are we supposed to call ourself smarty pants?Unitedstatesmen (whoops, not PC)? Unitedstatesians?

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    usians or USIANS (if you have and ego problem)

4. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    how about rednecks?

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    not in california (MAINLY MEXICANS) or florida (mainly canadians senior citizens and Sudaccas)

about: ESTADOUNIDENSES?

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming Spanish is your native language? That would make you an Americano. We're American because English is our native language :p

Seriously though...United Stater sounds stupid. We're American and North American. You're Uruguayan and South American. It's just a word...get over it. People can call themselves whatever they want. We've decided on American.

I have a friend from Costa Rica and we get in this discussion all the time. He said growing up, they were taught six continents:

Africa
    America
    Antarctica
    Asia
    Australia
    Europe

Here, we're taught seven continents:

Africa
    Antarctica
    Asia
    Australia
    Europe
    North America
    South America

Additionally, almost all of the countries in the Americas speak Spanish primarily, except Brazil, USA, Canada, French Guiana, Suriname, and Guyana. There seems to me some pan-Spanish solidarity in the Americas that doesn't really seem prevalent amongst others in the Americas. Most of the Brazilians I've spoken with don't have this whole "American" hangup thing, nor do the Canadians (I can't speak for the Guyanese, French Guianans and the Surinamites.) Like I said, it's just words...no big deal.

7. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Hah! No rednecks in Florida! Have you not been to FL?

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    well, may be some rejects from augusta, athens and atlanta that venture into the border crossing to the capital of florida or the warm of jax

9. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Very Curious...
    What the hell is a North American? What did they look like?
    From the beginning of civilization all continents had their own populations.... original and consistent. Still mostly holds true today.

AFRICA
    EUROPE
    SOUTH AMERICA
    Asia

What the hell happened to NORTH AMERICANS? Clearly every continent has its own distinctive looking peoples. Why are Europeans and Africans populating the entire adopted continent of North America? How did an entire continent of people vanish? It is inconceivable. The land had to be as populated as all the other continents. Holy crap?

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    LMAO apparently he hasn't

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

12. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard before the US is not alone in this: Countries like Brazil and Mexico have as their official name something along the same line: "Estados Unidos de Mexico" Hence, "mexicanos" and something like that with Brazil (Estados Unidos do Brazil????) hence "brazileiros"
    So please do stop the bitching and complaining (just kidding, you can keep it up if you want to :)

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Aren't we americans?

Don't they speak English in Belize? It used to be British Honduras. Also don't forget all the Caribean islands where languages other than Spanish are spoken such as Jamaica, Virgin Islands and Haiti. They aren't on a continent but then England and Iceland are considered Europe.

14. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They are called Americans, cause their country is "the United States of America" so they are Americans. You're English if you come from England, not just cause you speak english, you're Chinese if you come from China. That's the way I see it...

15. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Are you kidding. This entire continental race of humans were killed extinct? Oh my freaking god?

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not extinct, just decimated. Actually more than decimated, since that means "reduced by 10 percent." Estimates of depopulation among native North Americans (from what is now Mexico into what is now Canada) range from 50% to 90%. The causes were primarily a host of European diseases, including smallpox, mainly, which had a tremendous impact on a genetically naive population. Other causes were, of course, warfare, and the deliberate elimination of resources (most importantly the bison herds) upon which many populations depended, but the diseases did the most damage. Most, but not all, of the time the spread of these diseases was incidental.

Now, as for the question at hand:

Pretty much, yeah.

Furthermore, I don't see why you're getting so bunched up about it anyway. It's not like it's an indigenous name, is it?

17. chinofan

chinofan New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Uruguay
    I don't like that. Choose some more musical name. In spanish sound well, not in english.

Of course you can call yourself whatever you want but american already has a meaning.

You are american and north-american. You live in America.
    I'm american and south-american. I live in America.

And words shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm not saying they are not americans. Obviously they are as much as I am. What I say is that it shoudln't be used as the name of the country (USA) nor the citizens that live there, excluding other americans.

America is a continent. If you live in that continent you are american.

An italian is european.
    An egyptian (is it well written?) is african.
    A chinese is asian.
    An uruguayan is american.

I see it the same way. A black chinese that speaks eskimal born in uruguay is an uruguayan (and american).

P.S: Life would be easier being australian. :p

18. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002

19. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    This is a linguistic and cultural difference that you're learning about here at big soccer. I don't see the point anymore about getting upset about it but I can also relate as I remember years ago being in Spain and being told that a U.S. Citizen was NOT an American, but a NORTH-American. This annoyed me at the time as I saw that as less descriptive, in no way identifying me as being from the United States as opposed to Mexico or Canada. The other acceptable term, Estado-unidense, just sounded ridiculous to my ears even if it was more accurate.
    It comes down to two things. Firstly, what was mentioned in an earlier post - the fact that people from the United States are taught (from a geological-scientific perspective) that North and South America are two distinct continents, whereas apparently in other countries, apparently those of hispanic heritage, people are taught the Americas are one great continent (from a sociological-historical perspective) - i.e. America. This helps to think of each other as brothers, which I respect, because Mexicans, Central, and South Americans share a common heritage. But it is distinct from what we are taught in the United States.
    The other thing is our country is called the United States of America. It's just a lot easier to say I'm an American. Also, I may be an ignoramus, but I don't think there is another country in North or South America that has the word 'America' in it's name.

20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you missed my point.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't underestimate them...I realize that they can have more than one meaning :D :eek:

22. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    I like this thread because I've thought a lot about it.

America was the name given to the WHOLE continent, by Europeans. And I bet they did that before the English landed in the US.

North and South america are regions, just like
    -Eastern Europe
    -Western Europe
    -Sub-Saharan Africa
    -The middle east
    -South East Asia
    -Indian Sub-continent

My dad always told me that the US is the country without a name, because many countries official names are also United States ...

I think that Americans started teaching that North and South america are different countries so that they could still the name.

I heard that there is a group of people that want to change the name of "America" to a native american name (a hispanic group)
    I don't remember who they are, but that would be great :)

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Europeans don't run the show here anymore, so that's irrelevant.

The way you were taught, not the way we were taught. There's no reason we can't both be right on this one.

Maybe, but are they the United States of America? United States of Mexico, etc, but not United States of America. That is our country, that is it's name.

I'm sure "name stealing" wasn't high on the priority list.

24. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nico's point is a good one. What matters now as far as meaning goes is that America is commonly accepted to mean USA. As far as how it came to be that way, however, there was no plan to it.

25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then, of course, there's this theory:

Political Science

by Randy Newman

No one likes us-I don't know why
    We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
    But all around, even our old friends put us down
    Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?
    No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
    They don't respect us-so let's surprise them
    We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old
    Africa is far too hot
    And Canada's too cold
    And South America stole our name
    Let's drop the big one
    There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia
    Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo
    We'll build an All American amusement park there