Arena: Walker Will Get His Shot

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by sch2383, Oct 22, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/Breaking_News/page_131_60447.shtml

And our depth at the keeper spot grows...I would say Walker is number 5 at the most.

2. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Just curious...who are the 4 you would put before him? I guess the 1st 3 are obvious: Friedel, Howard, Keller, ?

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Adin Brown. TRIBE PRIDE BABY!

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This, I believe, is also a somewhat good sign that Arena and the Nats are planning something in terms of a friendly before qualifying begins, as the article talks about the MLS contingent of American keepers.

5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selling keepers can keep MLS going and going and going.

"Keepers for Sale! Get your Red-Hot keepers!"

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I swear, people must love me, because they love to turn threads into ugly arguments on which I will endlessly rant. People must love to hear me speak. :)

7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Sounds like you approve of "trolling".

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

JM and J, have a clue. Or at least a sense of humor.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's kinda hard to type right now as I'm using one hand to pat myself on the back.

On the "5 players Bruce should call up" thread and "GKs for early rounds of WC qualifying threads" I argued for Walker's inclusion.

Nice to the see the big man is listening!

That said, it's not like I really discovered a diamond in the rough. As Arena said, Walker's been (among the best GK in the league since he came aboard and the bigger news would be if he didn't cap him.

But, I still maintain that despite his performance in MLS this year, what is going to separate him from the other domestic keepers (sans Meola) is his experience in big games in hostile environments that he got playing in Chile. None of the other US keepers in MLS have every played in anything like that and that is the kind of atmosphere we'll face in Guatamala, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica and that is a clear advantage Walker has.

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I know you're kidding, but Walker has been on Bruce's for a long time. Since well-before he came to MLS.

I'm serious when I ask whether Walker wants to play for the US. Wasn't there talk about him playing for Chile awhile back? I'd think he'd a have a better chance of starting for Chile than for the US. Did this talk die? Anybody know?

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably died because he is from Tenesee or something like that and he no longer even works in Chile.

12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scoey, I would say this puts the final nail in that particular coffin...

13. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    I follow a lot of South American soccer and I do believe Walker had a chance to join the Chilean national team as he did put in the time to be nationalized there. The Chilean national team head coach and assistant coach are Walker's coaches from Universidad Catolica and there was talk of them calling him. However, Walker turned down a renewal offer from Colo Colo to come back to the States and try to get back into the US mix. I've seen numerous articles that he always wanted to play for the US, even though he felt a great affinity to Chile and how the league developed him. He still talks highly of his experiences there and I think it really shows in his play here. Glad he's hopefully going to get a shot with the USA.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you Johnny. Hope he gets his chance. He shouldn't have played for Chile, he's from the US.

15. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Excellent point.

But that still puts him squarely behind Friedel, Keller, and Howard...

Even if he tears it up in MLS and in training camp, he's most likely looking at a number 4 spot through 2006.

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    You never know if Friedel and Keller will still be playing at their current level; nor do you know if one or more of these three will be injured. So there's plenty to play for.

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    being #4 is excellent for the resume

18. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    Exactly. I'm not rooting for it, but I consider it likely that either Friedel or Keller will not find a roster spot come 2006.

19. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    He really shouldn't have. Bad Johnny! Bad!

20. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Why didn't we use this logic with Regis? Wasn't he from France???