Are you still happy with the 4-4-2 with the present Quake personel?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Aug 13, 2002.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I love the 4-4-2, especially with Dayak in the line-up and it would be even better with a Wade clone on the right. :D

2. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a total traditionalist..has to be 4-4-2

-Richard

3. megs2

megs2 New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Missouri
    Im a fan of the 3-4-3. I think the defense can get clutered with a 4-4-2.

4. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I have noticed that sometimes the D seems to get confuse on who is marking who....the mids seem to stick with their marks ok except I notice Russell will follow his guy too far thus compromising the offside trap from waaaay outside.

5. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right now I have to say 3-4-3, simply because I think most teams try to defend us by stuffing the midfield. If we slide in an extra forward, then I think it will be easier to spread the field - and the additional person up top forces the defense to respect the potential long ball.

6. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    'The one' fits the Quakes, once we get Yves.

Sean

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I'm a total traditionalist..has to be 4-4-2

That isn't traditional. If you were a real traditionalist, you would ask for the "W" formation.

8. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Until Dayak comes back healthy, I think a 3-4-3 would serve the Quakes well, with a more potent attack in DeRo, Graziani, and Landon. However, I would prefer a traditional 4-4-2, but with the current state of our defense, and the way we've been playing, I think a 3-4-3 formation could give the team a much needed boost.

9. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer a 4-4-2 especially when Dyak is healthy, but if your going to change it I would go with a 3-5-2. I don't think the Quakes have enough defensive speed to go with three in the back unless you give them a little extra support from midfield. It would still add more offensive punch with the ability to push more players into the attack sooner.

10. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thats true, and of course I don't want nets in the goals or substitutes either!!

My problem 3-4-3 is that it leaves the wings too wide open...I prefer attacking full-backs...not wing backs...and I hate 5 mids because it blocks the midfield up and results in the "wimbledon" tactic of hoofing it up to a big man in the box...4-4-2 with a wingers swapping wings and the center mids swapping positions and playing in a nice triangle or perhaps "W" formation creating a free player in the old inside right (or left) position busting open a defence...now thats poetry!!

-Richard

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    The 4-4-2 with its definition of "central" and "wing" and the current personnel is a fit. However, the 4-5-1 is intriguing...especially considering how anyone would define what LD's optimal role is in the XI.

12. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I totally agree

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We need to get YVES!!! so we can play the greatest formation ever: the 1