Are you ready for some futbol? (MNF to HDC?)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Justin O, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    NFL might move Dolphins-Chargers game

Well...a really really long shot, but it looks like they might have to move tomorrow's game somewhere due to the fires in the region. Possibly four locations are being considered, including Phoenix and (according to earlier pieces) Oakland and San Francisco. What would be the fourth? The HDC (assuming it's out of the fires' range) is available and already has a relationship with the Chargers. It's closer to San Diego and would more likely sell out than other locations, if that's important. It'd be a great influx of cash for the league, and I would derive sooo much pleasure from knowing that the NFL was paying rent to MLS for a change!

Very unlikely, but nonetheless this will be fun to keep an eye on for the next few hours.

2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
  3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just announced on ESPN's Sunday night game, the Monday Night Football game between the Dolphins and Chargers will be played at Sun Devil Stadium in Phoenix.

Looking for a link which backs this up; will post it when it's available.

On a personal note, my thoughts and prayers are with the firefighters back home in California, as well as all who have been victimized by the fires. My brother, in his duty as a forest ranger, has been trained to fight fires, and every time he goes out, I think about him and fear for his safety. On this ocassion, I'm sure he's been called up into reserve duty.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Are you ready for some futbol? (MNF to HDC?)

The thought just came into my mind-- might this weekend's opening game of the MLS playoff series between the Galaxy and the Earthquakes subject to be moved as well?

Some food for thought, folks.

5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle

Surely the air quality will be better by then. (??) If not, they could just flip flop the games so the first game is at San Jose. I guess San Jose wouldn't want to lose their "home field advantage" but who knows, maybe they'd rather play first anyway?

Or maybe they could play in Phoenix. ;)

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6782880

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, I think, might be a logical solution-- unless someone else offers to host the Galaxy's first-leg match. I'm sure that's something which the Quakes would push for.

Wild suggestion... perhaps Fresno? Or somewhere between Fresno and L.A.?