Are you hoping Baseball strikes?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SoccerScout, Jul 29, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the only one here to express these sentiments, so I'm not picking on you.

But you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, in such a comprehensive way, that I don't feel like pointing it out. Just read any website and look for articles about the labor issues. If you want to jump right into the deep end of the pool, go to baseballprospectus.com.

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically the reasons for the people who want to see a strike amount to:
    1. Baseball is boring and the players are overpaid
    2. It will help MLS (remind me how a strike in September will significantly help MLS?)

I agree with Godot22. If you don't like baseball, fine. But I don't see why you should wish for its downfall just because you don't enjoy it.

If you seriously think this would end baseball, you don't know a thing about the history of the sport. The game has survived a thrown World Series (1919), players going to fight in WWII, the treatment of black players in the 1940s, free agency, and known cocaine use in the 1980s. It'll survive this, assuming there even is a strike.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I think baseball is the most boring thing since my sister 3rd grade christmas concert. it has nothing to do with mls benefiting. it has to do with if baseball strikes it won't be on my tv anymore. they should not only strike, but disband MLB. just my opinion.

4. tolbuck

tolbuck Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    Jun 24, 2001
    toledo, oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll be happy if Fehr, Orza, Selig and Dupuy just fall into a bottomless pit and we never hear from them again.

I'll be happy if baseball's powers that be quit bad mouthing the game every time they open their mouths.

Something that bothers me-why is everyone hung up on the player's salaries? Why should you care what they earn? If salaries went down, do you think the ticket price will go down? If you believe so, I'll sell you some ocean front property in Kansas. Teams who cut ticket prices almost always stink, cannot draw flies, and cut prices in the hopes of drawing in some fans. Ticket price cuts are NEVER driven by salary.

Also, if there is no baseball in the summer, the beneficiary will by the NFL, not MLS. We will get more football talk in July than we do now. Soccer will stay in the background.

5. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    No, simply because I don't give a crap about baseball.

6. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

there is this smae attitude about football(soccer) in europe....however..if the money does not go to the players it will go to some businessman who has nothing really to do with the team and has not even lifted his arse from his chair to earn it...which would u prefur?..players or businessmen?

7. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I voted yes, as my heart bleeds for the little darlings struggling on $20m+ per season contracts. I mean, the Ferraris don't run on fresh air do they ?.

But seriously, I couldn't give a rubber duck.