Are you expecting Jesus Ferreira to score goals at the World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Oct 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Are you expecting Jesus Ferreira to score goals at the 2022 World Cup?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2022.
  1. Yes, he's good for around a goal every other game!

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. No, I am a hater who dismisses his track record of success

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. No but that's because he won't start or play much

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. No but he will do the far more important "gregg system" stuff

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  5. Gregg will come to his senses and Ferreira won't make the final roster

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Hopefully he doesn't start.

Why do we use our fastests guy (or one of them) as a false 9. Stretch the D some.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect him to score, but he will get an assist or two.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Roster numbers are out. Fereira has #9.

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Ferreira just got the #9 jersey, whereas Sargent is 24... not a jersey number that even exists on a normal 23 man roster.

"He's not really a 9"

US Soccer: "Ferreira is literally our #9"

[​IMG]

5. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent wears 24 for club so it makes total sense.

Scangg, Gacm32, gogorath and 1 other person repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Ferreira doesn't wear 9 for club, do you think Ferreira wanted to give up his club number for the #9 but Sargent didn't?
    The only one of the three forwards who wears the #9 for his club is Haji Wright.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting Jesus up top alone would be setting him up to fail. He's no physical enough nor is he clinical enough a finishier to make up for it. I hope Egg starts Sargent; who plays and against Egnlish dudes weekly and has shown improved physicality and finishing ability or Wright; who is a big guy who has shown clinical finishing while also being able to get in behind slower defenders.

Only if Egg wasn't so insistent on the 1 striker formations...

Scangg, UncagedGorilla and DCU1984 repped this.
  8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mix diskerud: americas #10

Scangg repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ferreira has worn the 9 for FCD (it's been 2 years, though). He's also worn the 9 for the USMNT and the u-23s (it's been his shirt number for the last 2+ years for the Nats). You can see his whole shirt number history here.
    Given how much he's played for the USMNT over the last 18 months or whatever, it's not surprise he got first dibs on jersey number over Sargent and Weah (and Morris, for that matter). The real surprise is that Reyna got the 7. Aaronson has worn the 11 for the US for a while, but he wears the 7 for his club and I would have expected he'd get first choice over Reyna. But, maybe he did and still chose to stick with the 11. In the end, can't tell a whole hell of a lot from jersey numbers other than who has seniority (but I'd bet the GK numbers were established by the coach). And, that Scally definitely has the least seniority of all.

beamish repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean he wears the 10 for his club and I don’t think they are going to give him that over Pulisic.

I don’t think we should read too much into the jersey numbers. Ferreira is definitely going to play this World Cup, but I also don’t think he’s starting all 3 games.

Scangg and Gacm32 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #111 Clint Eastwood, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Ferreira wore #9 last year for FCD. After signing his designated player contract, he switched to #10 to honor his father. The first father-son designated players in league history.

[FC Dallas didn't have a player wear #9 last season. Jara was #29. Pomykal wears the most prestigious number at FCD, which is #19. Bobby Rhine's number always worn by a homegrown player.]

Nice mural of Ferreira up in Oak Cliff recently.
    [​IMG]

nobody repped this.
  12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm not confident of Ferreira getting goals necessarily but I do think this question is framed all wrong. It's not a matter of whether a specific player can score goals against whatever team you want to talk about. Anyone on our roster in the right situation can score a goal. Just because you are facing a good opponent it doesn't mean that you are not going to get a clear chance and you can play a poor opponent and the ball never quite breaks your way and you get nothing. Do I think Ferriera is likely to create a chance on his own against a top team playing good defense outside of a mistake? Not really. He's more likely to create a chance for someone else which is why I think he's a bit miscast as our 9. But he can absolutely score a goal against anyone if the right chance comes to him and the key will not be, can Ferreira score? But, can the US create enough chances that we get a couple that are likely to result in goals? And do a couple of those come to Ferreira? Just because you are playing a top team does not mean the actual chances that emerge are all going to somehow be more difficult. It will be more difficult in general to get chances against top teams, but the actual quality of chances and the difficulty they bring when they come around is way more random than this idea good teams mean your chances are going to be difficult and somehow a specific striker has to be at a certain level or he has no hope of scoring because of the quality of opponent.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #113 Clint Eastwood, Nov 15, 2022
    I'm not confident in any of our #9s scoring goals.

........................didn't people watch the USMNT the last 4 years? It hasn't mattered who we've started up top. Sebastian Lletget and Brenden Aaronson were our joint leading scorers in 2021. If we take out the Grenada game against a woefully inferior opponent...........the ONLY player with more than one goal for the USMNT in 2022 is Pulisic. Walker Zimmerman has as many goals as any of our #9s.

None of the #9s has been scoring goals. So I don't know what the deal is with impassioned cases for any of the forwards that did or didn't make this squad. People can make a case for Pepi. He has zero goals and one assist in his last 10 USMNT games. So what are we talking about here?

Look at Jesus Ferreira's heat maps for FCD. For heaven's sake.........he's not really a #9 anyway. He sits very deep a lot of the time. One suspects the idea is for him to play the same role with the USMNT. Its what Berhalter wants to do. Ferreira has started 3 straight January domestic camps in almost this false 9 position. The idea is for him to sit deep and to combine/play in the most dangerous attacking players in the squad. Those are Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, Aaronson, etc. We don't have a playmaker in the group if the midfield is McKennie, Musah, Adams. Ferreira is actually playing more of a #10 role than a #9 role. If we're going to judge him on goals at the World Cup, then he'll likely fail.

If people want to see what Berhalter thinks a USMNT goal will look like, see Weah's goal against Jamaica in the road WCQer.

ArsenalMetro and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #114 KALM, Nov 15, 2022
    Goals in the Berhalter era against Elo-top 50* opposition (not counting January Camp friendlies):

2019: vs Ecuador (Zardes)
    2019: vs Chile (Pulisic)
    2019: vs Venezuela (none)
    2019: vs Mexico-GC (none)
    2019: vs Mexico (none)
    2019: vs Uruguay (Morris)

2020: @ Wales (none)

2021: @ Switzerland (Lletget)
    2021: vs Mexico -NL (Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna)
    2021: vs Canada-GL (Moore)
    2021: vs Qatar-GL (Zardes)
    2021: vs Mexico-GL (M. Robinson)
    2021: vs Canada-WCQ (Aaronson)
    2021: vs Mexico-WCQ (McKennie, Pulisic)

2022: @ Canada-WCQ (none)
    2022: @ Mexico-WCQ (none)
    2022: @ Costa Rica-WCQ (none)
    2022: vs Morocco (Aaronson, Weah, Wright)
    2022: vs Uruguay (none)
    2022: vs Japan (none)

*Going by the ranking of each opponent at the end of each match.

Final Tally
    Pulisic - 3
    Aaronson - 2
    McKennie - 2
    Zardes - 2
    Morris, Lletget, Reyna, Moore, M. Robinson, Weah, Wright - 1 each

Anyway, my answer is no, I'm not really expecting this.

ArsenalMetro, beamish, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #115 xbhaskarx, Nov 15, 2022
    Not ideal...

Final Tally
    Pulisic - 3
    Aaronson - 2
    McKennie - 2
    Zardes - 2
    Morris, Lletget, Reyna, Moore, M. Robinson, Weah, Wright - 1 each​

At first I thought this said "given how well he's played for the USMNT" but upon re-reading it I see it says "given how much he's played for the USMNT".... quantity over quality!

16. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    How many times are people going to freak out about numbers before they realize it doesn’t really have any correlation on how or who plays? Jesus is #10 for Dallas, he plays the 9, Pulisic is #10 always. Sargent has worn 24 for his club and for country before. Can people stop griping about anything and everything? We’re talking about numbers people!!

17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't know about anyone else, but I am not "expecting" any of our players to fail in their roles. There are a few players that I definitely would have left home, but I am going into this with hope. I have seen enough players step up and perform far above what I would have expected and then there have been those that have underachieved.

I am choosing to be optimistic this time around. It isn't a logical choice I know but it is a conscious choice and I'm going to stand by it until I'm wrong.

So, assuming Jesus gets time on the field, I am expecting him to score or at least play an important role. If Sargent, or another plays, I am expecting them to step up as well.

gogorath repped this.
  18. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    “I don’t want him score 5 goals. I want him playing like a forward in the system.”
    This is the comment Gregg said about Pepi before last game. But it may answer why he took Ferreira instead of Pepi.
    Yes. Ferreira doesn’t score the goals but he plays like a forward in Gregg’s system. Pepi is just opposite that he scores the goal but not playing as forward in the system.

19. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, even I wouldn't put Arriola ahead of Ferreira... and that's before factoring in Arriola not even being on the roster!

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really chose Jesus Ferreira over Reyna, Musah, Aaronson, Weah, etc. etc.

ESPN: Top U23 players for each team at the World Cup

Jesus Ferreira, 21, FW, United States / FC Dallas
    With 18 goals from 33 games to his name for FC Dallas, Ferreira was crowned MLS Young Player of the Year and made a solid mark for the USMNT when he netted four times against Granada (5-0) in June. In addition to being lightning-quick and a sharp finisher -- no angles seem beyond him to test the goalkeeper -- he is particularly skilled at finding the right positions in the box for cutbacks and can also drop deep to provide a link with the midfield. His roaming, confident style and direct running make him hard to defend against.

grandinquisitor28 repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wingers - 8
    Center mids - 3
    Strikers - 3
    Centerbacks - 1
    Fullbacks - 1

Total Football™

23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    High comedy. What were they thinking? I guess, best chance to start at striker, maybe score some goals.

It's just wild they'd choose him of all people, so silly.

Hoping he makes it to Europe in '23, but right now, he's behind a gazillion 23 and unders on the roster, his spot there is pretty ludicrous.

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No. I do not expect Ferreira to score goals. In fact I do not "expect" any US player to score (at least on the field) to score any goals.
    I keep hoping there will be something, almost anything, that will make it seem possible that we will score but all the news and all the platitudes spouted by people at US soccer seems to reinforce the lack of production that I expect from the current US squad under Berhalter.

I will be VERY surprised if we score and I will be even more surprised if we score more than 1 or 2 total in the entire tournament. Further should we actually win a game that will be more surprising and if we advance from the group my level of surprise will nearly max out.

If we win a match in the knockout rounds that will be all it takes to make my surprise meter peg its little hand and even wrap it around the post that shows maximum.

I have zero expectations, except poor performance, for the US side but I think my heart might survive a trip as far as the final four but any further and I will probably need medical supervision. ;)

25. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Frankly, I don't know who I would choose as the US' top U23 player, but it wouldn't be Ferreira...and I like him more than most I think.