Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It’s hard to find fault with his passing in his stats. Using the FBref comparison tool, I compared Xhaka, Locatelli, Neves, Zakaria and Kamara. They all complete 88% (Neves) to 93% (Locatelli) of their passes. Kamara complete 91% of his passes, including 91% of both his short and medium range passes and 72% of his long range pass. Xhaka had the best long range pass completion numbers at 83%, everyone else was between 71 and 75%. But the most interesting number may be the progressive passing distance per 90 minutes. Locatelli topped this category at 421 meters per 90 minutes, followed by Xhaka at 366 meters 90, Kamara at 293 meters per 90, Neves close behind at 290 meters per 90, and Zakaria at 175 meters per 90. Locatelli and Xhaka’s passing stats, particularly their progressive passing stats are a cut above, but Kamara’s compare favorably with Neves’ stats and are better than Zakaria’s.

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know enough about Kamara to comment, but Neves and Zakaria are pants.

3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Neves is Xhaka 2.0. I really want Arsenal to change the way they play through the midfield and it’s not going to happen with Neves. He like Xhaka will sit and ping balls down the field. I’m hoping the United rumors are true.

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2404 chjoak, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    So, playing around with FBRef and looking at various guys that we have been linked to in the past, are currently linked to, are said to be available or I just think could be attainable and comparing them to Xhaka in an effort to find someone that at a minimum should bring exactly what Xhaka brings. Below are the guys that stood out to me...

Numbers are in per 90 averaged over the last 3 seasons

PPD - Progressive Passing Distance
    P% - Passing %
    SP% - Short Passing %
    MP% - Medium Passing %
    LP% - Long Passing %
    PuP - Passes Under Pressure
    GCA - Goal Creating Actions
    Tk - Tackles
    Int - Interceptions
    Prs - Pressures
    Tch - Touches
    SDr - Successful Dribbles
    PDD - Progressive Dribble Distance

Name - PPD - P% - SP% - MP% - LP% - PuP - GCA - Tk - Int - Prs - Tch - SDr - PDD
    Xhaka - 360.5 - 86.5 - 90.9 - 91.1 - 73.5 - 11.4 - 0.14 - 1.99 - 0.77 - 14.1 - 85.2 - 0.62 - 143.9
    Grillitsch - 311.3 - 86.3 - 88.7 - 91.0 - 78.5 - 11.6 - 0.26 - 2.40 - 1.83 - 17.1 - 75.5 - 0.84 - 163.3
    Fabian - 325.4 - 89.3 - 91.8 - 92.9 - 83.5 - 13.3 - 0.41 - 1.85 - 0.91 - 18.6 - 88.4 - 1.13 - 182.1
    Bennacer - 306.3 - 85.6 - 91.7 - 90.3 - 67.5 - 10.2 - 0.27 - 2.99 - 1.70 - 22.1 - 74.0 - 2.04 - 143.7

While a few others looked good in other various areas, I am assuming that we really need to replace Xhaka's progressive passing first and foremost so I eliminated guys who weren't atleast close to his numbers there. Also took out anyone over 26 yo.

My favorite option based solely on the numbers is Fabian Ruiz from Napoli. Doesn't bring as much as some of the others defensively but the offensive contribution is very solid.

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at other numbers than those above and focusing a little less on progressive passing, a few other guys who stood out based on stats...

Leandro Paredes
    Bruno Guimaraes
    Eduardo Camavinga
    Joan Jordan

6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Ha, I threw out £35m for Odegaard yesterday. Assuming Wheatley is right, this would seem to have a high probability of happening.

£35m for Odegaard, £50m for White, £17m for Lokonga, and £8m for Tavares, that's £110m total. Assuming the Ramsdale rumors are legit, that's up to £140m or so and still need to buy a CM.

Tifo did a Neves to United video. Maybe I can speak something else into existence: Camavinga to Arsenal for £25m.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am still skeptical Odegaard being available. There has been a lot of smoke around that in the last few days, but it doesn't really make sense to let him go when Modric turns 36 in September, and they are basically going to sign no one other Mbappe (if that becomes a possibility).

We can't be strung along until deadline day, then end up loaning Coutinho because he is the only one available. Give Odegaard's entourage and Madrid a week to get back to us with a final decision, then we need to move on. Our first league game is in 2 weeks.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't seem insane. But probably dependent on RM getting Mbappe and having to raise outgoing funds to cover that, and also depending on how greedy RM needs to be in the Odegaard sale. Something tells me if this happens it happens very very late.

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's goal, but that would be good business if true. Don't see how it works without Xhaka leaving.

13. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I think Xhaka is gone, just a matter of whether Roma or Arsenal are the ones to blink.

I guess I had the wrong Lyon midfielder not named Aouar. Defensively, much more of a tackler than an interceptor. Really good long passing distribution and ball progression but not a goal scorer.

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I believe he was on Arsenal’s radar a couple of seasons ago.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was. opted to join Lyon over us 2-3 yrs ago.

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As crazy as time dilation works right now, it was last season. He joined them January 2020 which is when we were looking at him. They got him for 20M Euros. Good bit of business for them.

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1420823757313150984 is not a valid tweet id

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Feels like football manager in real life this

daedalus and cantona94 repped this.
  20. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bruno is an interesting target for sure. Can't say I know anything about him beyond these statistical looks.

He's at least in the same age profile as our other targets, and should cost a lot less than either Neves or Locatelli.

This is a clear differentiation between Arteta and Pep though. While Pep collects these 8/10 hybrids, Arteta is very committed to having a deeplying playmaker in his side.

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Legit offer? Or bluffing to get Roma to pay up? Giving Xhaka a new contract would be a huge mistake.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know. If he was willing to pay for pancakes and free satellite TV then it might be worth the price.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm skeptical too but it's not like Madrid doesn't have a history of doing stupid shit, confusing what they want with what they need.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    From what I've read pretty much everyone is for sale at Madrid at the right price and if the deal can be done quick.

The only thing is selling Martin Odegaard doesn't really help them much as he is likely not on big money, compared to offloading people like Isco or Jovic

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope this isn't real. It's time to move on. Xhaka is solid but he has shown that he cannot be consistent in the EPL. It's time to try and find someone else that can make us better.

That said, I have an uneasy feeling that it is legit.

CarlosKaiser repped this.