Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If anything, this shows how poor of a manager Arteta is.

How can Rodgers take Saliba's lesser-rated partner Fofana and start him and get 5th place? Yet Arteta can't trust Saliba to start for us? It doesn't make sense.

So Arteta can only get us top four if he has a team filled with 50M players? He can't make it work with a 30M defender?

It also shows how poorly run our club is. Asset management should be one of the KPI for our manager. Arteta should be told to make it work with appreciating assets like Nelson, Saliba, and MArtinelli.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If Hector goes for 20m that means he is basically done at top level

He's only 26 which should mean this is his peak value

Even with Corona devaluation it is pretty concerning

daedalus repped this.
  3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He peaked at like 22. It happens more than you'd think.

Super Llama repped this.
  4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would be elated with 20m for him. He’s been below average for years now.

I would love to understand what Arsenal think they’re doing with the Ben White stuff because I can’t personally divine the logical reasons for it. The only things I can think of are: 1. Maybe Ben White is gonna be moved to CM? And 2. Maybe they think of Saliba as a LCB which I believe is more where he played at Nice. Either of these tenuous reasons is still highly problematic

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  5. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    eems like Arteta learned more than we give him credit for from Fraudiola.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I hoped someone would be dumb enough to spank big money on him

7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I really don’t get it. White is an incremental improvement, at best. £50m for a defense that allows 35 goals next season vs 39 this season. Spend a little less on Kamara or
    Tchouameni to shield the defense and you probably see a bigger improvement in goals allowed and you have filled one of the positions where Arsenal currently have no depth.

Spend the money on an attacking mid that provides 8 to 10 goals and 10 to 15 assists and you may get 70 goals scored next season instead of 55. It makes no sense.

cantona94 and chjoak repped this.
  8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last summer would've been the time for that, sad we didn't do the PSG deal then

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don’t get this white obsession

at least offload a centre half before we go in

right back shouldn’t be hard to improve as hector has been shite. Shame niles doesn’t want to play there as he looked good for a spell

The issues are still what’s happening with leno and a backup, a left back back up, a right back replacement, a 6 and an attacking midfielder

depth wise we are ok but quality wise we can upgrade most positions on the pitch lol

Super Llama repped this.
  10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna go into next season with 12 CBs, 12 right wingers, and a backup GK

daedalus and Tonerl repped this.
  11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Maybe only 11 CBs. Anceloti is rumored to want White at Madrid.

daedalus repped this.
  12. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    You all doubted "the plan" and now it is all coming clear, Arteta is buying White so he can swap him for Odegaard.

casoccerdad47 and daedalus repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so leicester apparently are signing some fella name patson daka, beating out liverpool and chelsea? on top of the midfielder they are signing from france.

meanwhile, we're scrapping with the likes of aston villa and pulling teeth over various shit with no direction and won't get this shit done until the deadline?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

cantona94 repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If they buy White and don’t have at least another £100m to spend on areas of greater need, they need to go. They can’t get to the winter window and have to make a panic buy because they don’t have an experienced midfielder to replace Partey while he’s at AFCON.

Super Llama, thebigman and daedalus repped this.
  15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Or how about we go after other names like Rodrigo De Paul or Samuele Ricci

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some claims that KSE has signed off on a 250m transfer pot for this window.

Also, White is supposedly telling friends/family that he expects to be a Gunner before the end of the window.

Brendan Rodgers was asked about selling Maddison. He said that anyone that doesn't want to be at Leicester can leave but they need inform management. So basically, Maddison likely isn't going anywhere unless he requests to leave.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing claims that we are preparing a 20m GBP big for Lyon CM Houssem Aouar. Supposedly Lyon has dropped their valuation from Jan and are looking for something in the neighborhood of 25-30m euro.

18. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, this window is either going to:
    1) Be the biggest disappointment ever
    2) Be not perfect, but a good start to a very important season

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    [QUOTE="chjoak, post: 39656439, member: 150898"]Seeing some claims that KSE has signed off on a 250m transfer pot for this window.

Also, White is supposedly telling friends/family that he expects to be a Gunner before the end of the window.

Brendan Rodgers was asked about selling Maddison. He said that anyone that doesn't want to be at Leicester can leave but they need inform management. So basically, Maddison likely isn't going anywhere unless he requests to leave.[/QUOTE]

If true I will withdraw my objection to White, though I still believe Saliba has to much potential to be dismissed out of hand. One of the main factors in Arsenal’s pursuit of White appears to be his progressive passing and runs. It’s a real strength for Saliba too.

Arsenal were linked to Maddison the last couple of days and today we are seeing links to Aouar reappear. Did they decide the price for Maddison was to high or did Maddison deny interest. Leicester are in Europe, had they held on to top 4 Arsenal might not even have considered an approach.

20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    This would be gross spending. Net spend will still be negative 50m after they sell ESR to Villa and Saka to City :-(

21. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we sign new starting CB, RB, CM, and AM without losing anyone major, plus a few young backups with upside (preferably one each in defense, midfield, and attack) and get rid of deadwoods like Willian and Cedric, what material should Edu's statue be made of? :D

22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This implies a very optimistic ideation of this transfer team’s sale negotiation skills

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    daedalus and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Also selling Martinelli, Saliba, Gunnersaurus and The Emirates?

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am not against white

It's all about the churn. If they can spin saliba into a player with better fit in the team culture that's fine