Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    my apologies for being unclear. i was not suggesting they should make a direct swap but to take woodman as a makeweight because, while newcastle would be the biggest suitor for willock, they will not have remotely close enough cash to make it worthwhile.

i mean, i'd take woodman + 10-15 with some sell-on, even if part of that 10-15 had to be delayed or on appearances.

in my opinion, if we got woodman, there would be no need to sign onana. he, apparently, had a great season in the championship last year and a year behind leno, playing cup games should put him ready to take over next summer. and we'd have an HG between the sticks.

2. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I could see signing Woodman if Leno leaves. I don't think you pass on Onana, he seems like a steal at 8m or so and I'm kind of expecting some other club to jump in and steal him away. But his suspension and AFCON mean another option is needed, and having a HG keeper like Woodman who can start or be a very capable #2 would be wise.

The Lokonga offer gives me some optimism that Edu and Arteta are casting a wider net than just England or players they have had on loan. Not concerned at all about the opening offer being rejected, that's how business is done. Like the age profile, position of need, club captain.

Odegaard still has upside and Arteta was able to watch him up close and personal for a few months. But I don't think he would be good value for the money Madrid are asking for and kind of glad Madrid are saving Arsenal from themselves.

3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The only reason I don't like signing Woodman as a backup to Leno is that I think we need an improvement on Leno anyway.

That setup would mean Leno for another year, then a guy who only just reached Leno's level the next.

Onana gives us a better chance of improving our GK department.

cantona94 repped this.
  4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree. It's like shopping for a car. You can't zero in on one and spin your wheels trying to make the perfect deal happen. There are other options and many of the much cheaper already. Aouar is a great example. He was 45m last window. Now some are suggesting that he could be had for 25m. Aouar for 25m vs Odegaard for 60+m? I'd take Aouar all day long.

Yep. They need to get this deal done. Don't pull a Wenger and squabble over a small difference. Would be beneficial to stay in good graces with Anderlecht. They are one of the best teams in a league that has been producing good young players recently. Hell I'd offer up a couple youngsters on loan as part of the deal to get it over the line.

cantona94 and daedalus repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You’re being to logical.

daedalus repped this.
  6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, at the money being discussed I would be inclined to buy Onana no matter what. It's one of those scenarios that should be a win-win. Either you get your next starting keeper on the cheap or you sell him at a profit if/when an alternative steps up in his absence. The question becomes what do we do while he is out...

There are a few ways you can go and it all depends on whether you have any actual buyers for Leno.

Option #1 - Keep Leno until next summer and...
    • 1a - promote Okonkwa (incentive to sign his contract). Guarantee Okonkwa cup matches and if he looks good start giving him league matches against the lesser opponents.
    • 1b - deal for Woodman (or another young HG). Give them the same playing guarantee as in 1a.
    • 1c - find a cheap vet (preferably HG) that can continue as #2 after Onana is back.

Option #2 - Sell Leno and....
    • 2a - bring in a vet (preferably HG). You want someone that can provide leadership and that won't have an issue yielding to Onana after AFCON. Can still promote Okonkwa for cup matches.
    • 2b - bring in Woodman (or other young HG). Bring in a cheap vet as insurance.

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For us here at Arsenal being an Arsenal fan as well as an Inter fan..definite targets to look at for us to bring in this summer:

- Reunion with Aaron Ramsey of Juventus
    - Or we go after other names like Nabil Fekir, Sambi Lokonga, Ruben Neves, Gabriel or Locatelli

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Haggling is what you do when you’re working with a limited budget. If they step up meet Anderlecht’s €20m valuation in the next week or so, I think we can be optimistic about the size of the transfer budget, if they continue to haggle or move on I’m less optimistic.

maskito repped this.
  9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Arsenal had a couple bids for Tierney rejected before Celtic eventually agreed to the deal. Arsenal probably offered €15m with a lot of it deferred. Anderlecht probably wanted €20m with most of it up front. They can haggle on the total cost, the payment structure and any bonuses or add-ons.

Not sure how much this tells us since I would expect Lokonga to compare favorably to other Belgian league midfielders, but gives you an idea of his style of play.

maskito and thebigman repped this.
  10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaron Ramsey - too old, expensive & injury prone
    Nabil Fekir - wouldn't hate it for the right price but we really should be looking at younger players
    Sambi Lokonga - need to make it happen asap
    Ruben Neves - some here don't like it but he is a better age profile then most we tend to look at, he is an improvement over Xhaka and ultimately improves our MF. My concern (assuming we were ever interested) is that the price tag is fixing to rise due to his performances in the Euros.
    Gabriel - Which one? There seems to be Gabriel's all over in ever position. Need to be more specific.
    Locatelli - Would take him over Neves. Same price but younger and more mobile. Seems to want to stay in Italy. Maybe grab another Italian (Pellegrini?) to make him feel more comfortable about a move to London?

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your first offer is accepted, you bid too high.

daedalus, maskito and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    After my initial response to this post, I went looking for numbers on progressive passing to justify my opinion that Adams wasn’t a guy to replace Xhaka. What I ran across was an article by WhoScored.com from 2020 that included a graph comparing a players pass completion percentage to the percentage of their passes that are played forward.

upload_2021-6-15_7-59-16.png

With the caveat that these numbers are impacted by both the overall quality of the league and a team’s style of play the graph offers some interesting insights. This season Xhaka with a 90% pass completion rate and 30 percent of his passes played forward would sit above and slightly to the right of Winks. Locatelli with 88% pass completion and 31% forward passes sits almost directly above Jorginho. Lokonga’s numbers 86% and 34% are above and to the left of Locatelli’s numbers and Adams at 86% and 30% is is to the left of Jorginho pretty near the median. It’s also interesting to look at the percentage of their passes that are defined as long passes. Twelve percent of Lokonga’s passes were long passes, Locatelli’s number was 10%, Xhaka 8% and Adams 5%.

While this is an interesting exercise by WhoScored I think it might be interesting to take it a step further and identify where players fit in their team’s style of play, e.g. do other midfielders at Anderlecht have similar forward passing numbers to Lokonga or are their numbers, on average, significantly lower.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Out of those players I mentioned I want Locatelli or Ruben Neves

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting. Also doesn't make Neves look as good as video and the other analyses I've read.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't find the tweet (posted on another board) but Romano supposedly reporting Haaland to Chelsea for 140m euro (including addons)

16. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta is a clown. He covets Odegaard but keeps trying to replace Saliba.

daedalus repped this.
  17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not quite sure how to translate this information. It describes playstyles, but it doesn't really have any obvious relationship to a player's value. There are very good midfielders scattered all over that plot. I suppose we'd try to look for someone with the same style as Xhaka who takes less time/touches?

18. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they get it done and the sooner the better.
    I do think it's a bit petty to try and save about 5 mill but I guess that's why I am not a millionaire.

19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    TheAFCBell, who got a lot of stuff right last summer re: Partey, is saying that James Maddison is a target. Not sure why he would leave Leicester. And he would cost a small fortune.

Also said Bellerin is visiting Villareal.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can we go back to gerbils pls.

daedalus and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maddison & ESR in front of a legit mobile #6 would be insane.

Quick search and only thing I could find was an article from a Leicester publication dated 2 weeks ago claiming City was interested and that Leicester would want 51m GBP.

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I guess 51m isn't bad in the context of 40-50m for Ben White. Here is the Twitter thread, I'm trusting the twitter translate function since my Arabic is rusty (more accurately, non-existant).

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What happened to the arsenal horse?

maskito repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think 51m for Maddison would be quite good compared to the claimed price for White or Grealish.

• Seeing reports that Benfica is now in the mix for Duezy.
    • See several reports claiming that our 15m offer for Lokonga may have been rejected not because of the total but rather the structure. May be able to get a deal done for 15m if we offer more up front.
    • Saw something yesterday claiming that Tyler Adams has a release clause in his contract that Arsenal wasn't opposed to paying if Leipzig isn't willing to negotiate. No word on the number, though, which makes the rumor a little sketchy. Also saw some tweets where people dug through Adams's old tweets showing that he appeared to have a good bit of love for Arsenal back in 2015.
    • We are supposedly interested in 3 Brazilians from Gremio... 23 yo scoring W Ferreira, 20 yo ST/W Ricardinho & 19 yo RB Vanderson.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ferreira

Ricardinho

Vanderson