Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    A 9-figure investment is a hundred million a year. Over the last 5 years Arsenal have spent an average of nearly 100 million per year, with about 40 percent of that offset by sales. So spending 100 million a year on incoming players is not out of the question. I think it might actually take more than 100m per year.

At Chelsea Abromovitch has a net worth of about 14 billion dollars. Stan Kroenke and his wife, Ann Walton have a combined net worth of about 17 billion dollars. During the pandemic their wealth actually increased by more than 1 billion dollars, the equivalent of 10 years of 100m dollar investments. They have the money to spend, if they choose to do so. Do I have faith that they will commit the money needed to get Arsenal back in the Champions League, not really, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    With Willock and AMN away on loan, Arsenal currently only have 5 homegrown players on their roster, Holding, Chambers, Nelson, Nketiah, and Bellerin. Nelson, Nketiah, and AMN are almost certainly gone and Bellerin apparently wants out. Whether Willock stays or goes is an open question. I think both Chambers and Holding stay. This isn’t as big an issue for next season as it appears to be. Arsenal currently have three u21 players on the roster, Saka, Martinelli, and Smith-Rowe, who helped fill out the roster and all of whom will be homegrown in the season that begins in the year they are 21 on January 1. In addition, Saliba will still be U21 next season. If Balogun and Azeez can contribute to the first team next season and Arsenal add a homegrown goalkeeper from their academy, they will have plenty of U21 and homegrown players to fill out the roster. In addition, if they aren’t in Europe they won’t need as big a roster.

The bigger issue will be the none homegrown players, they currently have a full contingent of 17 with 4 more, Kolasinac, Guendouzi, Mavropanos, and Torreira out on loan. Arsenal will likely need at least 5 players two center mids, an attacking mid, a starting right back, and a back up left back. They would like to keep Odegaard, but if they can’t, they can replace him with a similar creative player, e.g. Nkunku and Buendia would probably cost a little less and and both are more consistent scorers. So if we assume they want to add four new non homegrown players, they will have to move the players on loan plus four of the non homegrown players currently on the roster. Some are easy, Ceballos is going back to Madrid and Luiz is out of contract. In addition, Runnarson will almost certainly be gone. Then you get into the harder decisions. Do they sell Lacazette? If so, do they look for a non homegrown replacement. Do they sell Elneny? Do they let Ryan go and sign a homegrown keeper as the number 2, behind Leno. It gets a lot simpler if they sign homegrown players to replace some of the departures. Hakimi is nearly as big a reach as Camavinga, they aren’t getting him and he will be at the Africa Cup of Nations in the middle of next season. So do they sign Aarons to replace Bellerin. It should be an interesting summer.

3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One thing to keep in mind is that players are not signed on paper, pun intended. There's a lot of human factor that goes into it. I don't have a lot of faith in the Edu/Arteta duo, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they can convince players to sign for us with a combination of promise of first team minutes (especially for younger players) and signalling a positive direction with other signings. For example, if we somehow sign Odegaard, that alone makes it easier to sign other players.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win Europa we have a 90% chance of signing Martin. If we don't, I say a 20%. He already chose to come on loan here and if we have something to play for he is likely to stay.

5. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    That last bit is true. Luiz and Willian type of fellows.

6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    So, who does Arsenal buy with all those sweet, sweet Super League euros?

Do non-Super League clubs refuse to buy or loan Arsenal players?

Do the prices to buy from non-Super League clubs go up?

Is the long-term goal to eliminate the transfer market altogether and have a system of free agency and trades like American sports?

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    <search parameters>
    expiration: 2017-2019
    agent: joorabchian, kia
    </search parameters>

mebeSajid, danielh, GunnerJacket and 3 others repped this.
  8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too ******* soon.

daedalus repped this.
  10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  13. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Went back in the thread and found this since since @chjoak had mentioned Konate. Liverpool signed him by activating his €35m release clause.

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been hearing rumor that Pool were interested. Wonder if that may increase RBL's potential interest in Mavro? They have Konate & Upa leaving this summer now. Will need to add atleast 1 new CB. May be a good opportunity to make a trade for Nkunku or one of their other young MF/FWs.

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Id take a straight up trade for Nkunku, but that ain’t happening, Arsenal would have to kick in an additional £30m to £40m, minimum.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if this was mentioned already or elsewhere but I just saw that Balogun signed a new contract with us yesterday.

Well done to Mikel, Edu et al for getting that done!

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our GK situation is a cluster right now...

• Leno is not very good distributing the ball with his feet and has had a dip in form in the last few weeks. There is also some rumor that he may be interested in moving on due to Arteta opting not to retain his preferred GK coach.
    • Ryan is less than ideal as a backup. He's older than Leno and not HG. Been some rumor that we opt to retain him as backup for next season. Ideally I would prefer a young HG option.
    • Runarrson just sucks and needs to go.
    Seeing some rumor that Juventus plan to make a run at Donnarumma this summer. If so Szczesny would surely be looking to leave. While he is 31, that is often prime age for a GKs that can easily play into late 30s or early 40s. Plus he has most certainly gotten better since leaving Arsenal. There is no official link yet or rumor of what Juventus would want but Szczesny in the past has expressed regret for leaving Arsenal so there could be a desire to return.

All of that to ask the question... Would you be interested in Szczesny as our starting GK next season?

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never loved Sneezy when he was with us, and didn't mind too much when we traded him. Apparently he's improved a bit since he left. But is he good enough to be a clear improvement on Leno? If so, why would Juve being looking to replace him, as you suggest?

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've not watched him enough to say for sure but I've heard him referred to as one of the best shot stoppers in Europe (could be an exaggeration?).

They would be willing to replace him with Donnarumma because he is younger, atleast on par (if not better) and Italian.

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    spending 2 HG slots for 2 backup GK is just plain idiotic - and essentially a great example of our management incompetence at the moment - and even more so when you are afraid to play no 3 in a meaningful game.

i don't understand the need so many people feel to run leno out of town. sure, he's not "world class" but the list of GK that is an improvement on him is short and the ones we either can afford or can convince to come here is shorter . . . because neither are we. and the number of positions we need to improve/work on is long.

zero interest in szczesny. he has the crazy of lehmann but without the actual good goalkeeping. and, dear gods, every. single. goal. dude is looking around and gesturing wildly for someone to point the fingers at. it's so nice to be rid of that with mustafi (and his other . . . shining qualities), i don't care to have that joy again.

yossarian repped this.
  21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Buying a new keeper seems like one more item on a very long summer shopping list. I wouldn't be opposed to Szczesny, he would count as HG at least, but how cheaply would Juve be willing to let him go?

Donnarumma is out of contract, right?

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Guendouzi broke his metatarsal and his season at Hertha is over. It puts his opportunity to captain the France U21's this summer in jeopardy. And it could make him very difficult to sell in the summer.

Bring in a new manager, give Guendouzi a new contract (he only has 12 months left) and give him a fresh start. The club should be building around young talents like Guendouzi and Saliba rather than pushing them out the door for less than what they are worth.

23. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
  25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to clean house (starting with KSE all the way through Arteta and the roster). I would sell anyone you can over 25, focus your spending on players 23 & under and on the Academy. Next year is likely to suck so find a manager that has a history developing young players and give the young guys a chance. Bring back Duezy, Willock, Saliba and AMN. Give them all a chance and then sell anyone not hacking it by next summer.