Are we at War in Syria?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Northcal19, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
  2. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005

Why not? Sack Rome!

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It would be interesting. I would think that we would hear more from Syria about it though. Surely they wouldn't be too happy.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt that if we had troops in Syria that Syria wouldn't be making it known to the world.
    Since that is an op-ed story and not a factual one I will take it with a grain of salt.

I did not see any accounts or factual evidence to support his claims. Certainly something to observe, but to me this is just a way for this guy to try and make a correlation of the Iraq War to the Vietnam war.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it is an overblown version of a minor border skirmish that seems to have happened. However, there is almost no information on it in a search I did of Google news.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    John Kerry: "I was in Syria on Christmas eve, 2004."

;)

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Maybe George can help us out, but is there much of a discernable border between Iraq and Syria? It is a long, long border that I believe is almost all sand, no?

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also a straight line for the southern half, which almost certainly means it doesn't follow any topographic feature.

8. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, someone could have drawn a line in the sand.

*rimshot*

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/attack/consequences/2005/1015syria.htm

We should have put pressure on Syria from day one. They choose to violate the Iraqi border, we return the favor. Syria seems to be neck deep in Iraqi affairs and for Iraq to have any chance the Syrian problem must be dealt with on both political and military fronts.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does bring up viable negatives and is basing his entire argument on a full on invasion of Syria. That hasn't happened yet and for all we know the operations are an attempt to secure that huge border. I doubt I would support a war with Syria. Not now. We fvcked that chance from the get go.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is this the same Toledo Blade that wrote about massacres being committed in Vietnam ?

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Al Gore : I fouded the city of Damascus.

:D
    :D

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Wow, a foreign policy issue where you're more "conservative" than me. I'm more worried about turning a headache into a cancer. I don't consider Syria to be that much of a problem.

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't tell Karl. ;)

I agree with the headache to cancer worry. I would just like to know the truth of the situation on the ground and what it is we have or have not been doing thus far. I don't believe a war with Syria now is realistic, but taking the border situation more seriously, and forcing Syria to do the same, is potentially key to keeping Iraq going in the proper direction.

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oops

http://us.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/10/20/lebanon.hariri/index.html

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    A border clash that led to the deaths of several Syrian soldiers doesn't even make al-Jazeera? I'm surprised that Syria didn't do more than file a diplomatic protest, if this incident actually occurred within its borders. OTOH, the rulers of Syria may have thought about this incident & decided not to make a big deal of it. Their concerns about the stability of their own regime combined with problems on their west in Lebanon may reduce desire to publicize problems in the eastern desert. If the event were viewed as a genuine incursion rather than an isolated incident, Syria could choose to make an issue of it, to encourage the political support of other Arab nations. With the subsequent ejection of some members of Saddam's family from Syria, perhaps the leaders are deciding that they don't want to directly confront the US on issues that may lead to their own downfall.
    An unrelated story, which could lead to intelligence work on our borders:
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/10/20/insurgency051020.html