Are the Revs finding their true position?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 12, 2005.

1. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    The Revs seem to have lost the offensive flair that characterized their play early in the year. Are they finding their true place in the league or is this just a minor slump?

2. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    Maybe a minor slump,because most of our goals involved Noonan, Ralston, and Dempsey. Anyone see Dempsey tonight? Slide tackled two men at the same time somehow, and almost scored. Can't wait til he's back in the Revolution uniform. Whats the deal for Saturday? Are they going to be able to play half and half? Better yet, the whole game for us?

3. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.

are you informed that we are missing 3 attacking options right now due to the GC? TnT probably isn't 100% fit yet either. i will say this, though, we need a dependable 3rd striker for when things like this happen.

4. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for "in the middle" but not "as usual" because the usual is to finish at the bottom.

There weren't enough choices. I think it is very possible that they will not finish first, despite the great start. Gettint the USMNT member back will help but I think June had a lot of so-so play even with Dempsey, Ralston and Noonan. Not horrible play, just so-so enough that I could see them dropping back into the pack if they keep it up.

5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Realize that Bruce Arena is probably not going to let any field players go before the Gold Cup is over - he's already lost on player to an ACL injury and is constantly dealing with yellow card accumulations. Given that the game on Saturday is a 'knock out' game for the US, I am sure that he isn't given two seconds of thought to making life easier for the Revs....and as big a Revs fan as I am, I understand that.

I think the 'half - half' idea, though nice, is not really viable. If this was a 'friendly' then I would agree with it, this, however, is a competition.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My, why am I not surprised? :D

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My, why am I not surprised? :D

8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you should be!!! :)

Notice I did not predict they would drop to 6th place in their division and never win another game this season. For me, I was quite upbeat and said they might drop back with the pack. MIGHT, I said MIGHT. I allowed for the fact that they could kick arse and finish first.

This, you should admit is great progress. ;)

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Doc recently reminded me of my responsibilities to the dark side...

The US could.... lose on Saturday, thereby ending the GC for them right there and we'd potentially have all three available by 7 PM (albeit some of them might be tired from a 4 PM match...)

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs game is at 7:30 right? This is the second thing I've seen stating 7, so I just want to make sure.

11. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

Uh, did you happen to miss the first option or something? By the way, has anyone noticed that dempsey seems to really step up his game with the USMNT? Not that he slacks off with the Revs, but he seems to have more drive and flair during the GC games than in the past month with the Revs...

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I must give you that. In fact, even though you identify it as coming from the dark side I also have given some thought as to what might happen on Saturday in the second game. The way the US has played the first three matches almost anything could happen. I never want to see the USMNT lose but it sure would be nice to have our players back for the Dallad match :cool:

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if it means we lose on Saturday.

Never Club over country.

14. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    eh, with this tourney I'd take club over country...but I don't think we'll be put in that situation.

as per the original topic, I think that the Nats players seemed to be collectively lacking something before they went off to the GC, maybe with Twellman getting back into early season form they can find that magical spark that got us going on that winning streak...otherwise I see more grind it out games with slightly less anxiety involved.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to worry. I wasn't sending bad vibes towards the USMNT---only saying that the way the Nats have played in the first three matches anything could happen on Saturday and we could suddenly find ourselves with an expanded roster and I sure would like that---king of like--"'ve got bad news and good news" :cool:

I do think there is very little chance of the USA losing on Saturday.

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, he plays forward for the Nats. He plays midfield for the Revs. Do the math.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even a contest. Once Noonan, Ralston and Dempsey gets back, they will be fine.

18. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, what math are you suggesting? That Dempsey is being played out of position with the Revs and that he's naturally a forward? Your post doesn't really make a clear point here. I suggested that Dempsey had creativity and played well in the first part of the season and then fell out of sight during many subsequent games, yet makes a mark when he plays for the USM. Maybe he figures he no longer has to fight and impress Nicol for time? I don't know.

By the way I guess I underestimated how many optimists there are in here. :D

19. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    By the way I guess I underestimated how many optimists there are in here. :D[/QUOTE]

easy to do, seeing that pessimism is a natural instinct among us new england sports fans

20. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree his play has been, how should i say it, "uninspired" since he got back from his last stint with the Nats. Although, i think he picked it up some the last few games though.

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you go back and read through the 2005 preseason threads :D