Are the Germans interested in the WWC?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Richie, Oct 4, 2003.

1. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Having seen your women play twice at this WWC, I would think they will get by Sweden easily. Your team is definitely the top team in the tournament that I have seen.
    Women's soccer is quite big here in North America, at the youth level and also in colleges/universities in the USA and Canada.

2. Deutschland_HSV

Deutschland_HSV New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Hamburg, Germany
    lol! Yeah, we will sell hundreds of thousands of WNT jerseys then! And everyone will parade the streets and buy more stuff ;)

3. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind New Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Virginia Beach
    I watched the Germany vs USA match, and I thought Germany played very well through the midfield on their counters and in transition.

You can count me in as one of the guys that will be watching the final vs Sweden.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    With all due respect, the German team players are hedious looking.....compared to US or Sweden team.....absolutely no cuteness or sexy factor there..

OK, so we are all supposed to be enlightened males and look beyond...but take away the "sex" argument, then one has to go on pure quality of match...and its hard for Women's Game to match up tom Men's (having said, I like the openess of Women's soccer....like Mexican soccer....it just seems like one can score more often- even if they don't...certainly, many games have less of the "professional" fouling that can make the men's game so dreadful...sure women's games have less tactics, but often men's game gets bogged down in boring tactics that lead to nothing (stalemate...or too conservative)..

There are attractive women in Germany...you just need to get a few more playing soccer....also, I think American's are a bit more open-minded to seeing women play (period) given lesser men's tradition in sport in this country....maybe
    soccer being a suburban sport here (like tennis in most countries) and not middle/lower middle class (like soccer is in most countries) also plays a role...

There is one chick on the Swedish team that could definently give Kornikova (sp?) a run for her money (in looks department)...

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Interjecting fact into a discussion on BigSoccer doesn't get you very far here.

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In most traditional football countries women football isn't big.

1.5 million people tuning in is a LOT IMO. I've seen 5 mins of women football once. Besides the fact that I wouldn't care about it regardless... it was slow paced and boring.

I believe there is interest in women football only in 'new' football countries. Not sure, but I think this is reasonably correct.