Apple TV buys all MLS broadcast rights for 10 years

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jeff_adams, Jun 14, 2022.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that info! so are the Hulu ads up front or sprinkled throughout? trying to anticipate my level of annoyance...

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my Quakes STH season pass redemption email this morning dated 10:03 AM.

The Athletic has a good writeup on the service.
    • Apple expects between 300,000-400,000 STH subscribers
    • Brendan Hunt was on-hand at the apple event and talked about the Argentine WC Final:
      • “According to other people, it was the second-best 3-3, double-overtime penalty shootout of late 2022.” It was a nod to the MLS Cup finals in which LA defeated Philadelphia.
    • Fans will also be able to watch full-match replays going back as far as 2019.
    • the MLS Season Pass crew from both the English- and Spanish-language will broadcast on-site – never remotely.
    • available worldwide (in case you forgot, like I did)
    • the league might be sinking as much as $80 million to $100 million into production costs in 2023 alone.

Goodsport and Scott Rohde repped this.
  3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I remember when my dad brought home our first vcr he rented two movies - This Is Spinal Tap and Annie. We had no idea what Spinal Tap was and we had no interest in Annie at all. However to test out the new vcr we put in Spinal Tap not knowing that it was a comedy. We were learning how to use the vcr while the movie was playing and just kinda thinking these guys are idiots. Then slowly we started laughing at them and eventually we were literally rolling on the floor laughing.

As for MLS Season Pass I think it's great but it wasn't that long ago that MLS had a service called MLS Live and it also allowed streaming of every game but with blackouts (that only lasted a day).

However from what I've seen so far MLS Season Pass is much better with way more content. MLS Live didn't have anything really except for the games.

So I agree this is really just an evolution but I think it's a big step forward and I think MLS is ahead of the curve on how all sports will eventually be presented.

Goodsport repped this.
  4. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks. I have an iPhone and I can follow your instructions to disable the sports score. I tested the before and after and it is working fine.

Now when I access through the web browser, the tv.apple.com site doesn't seem to have that option and it shows the scores by default.

Goodsport repped this.
  5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I have been searching for a solution for tv.apple.com and also for the tv app on Mac and so far no luck. Hopefully we will get a setting before the start of the season.

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've downloaded every video already off the service LOL they're coding is so easy to crack and download and remove the DMR. Thank god for Fiber Optics too... Thank god for a massive server.

Boysinblue repped this.
  7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I went ahead and subscribed for the season. I figure that $99 is a really reasonable price, but YMMV.

Kaitlyn and Goodsport repped this.
  8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many screens can be active at once? If its up to 3 or more I will share my account possibly

9. elhula

elhula Member

Apr 18, 2007
    san jose
    Can someone help a technologically challenged person like myself, were we not supposed get some type of link or access code today to subscribe for free as a season ticket holder. I have not seen anything.

10. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    When I subscribed this morning (as a STH), the supporting information said that the account can be shared with up to 4 family members (friends). I assume that means up to 5 concurrent streaming devices.

xbhaskarx and Kaitlyn repped this.
  11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    A few people here have already gotten their code and from what I can tell every season ticket holder league wide should have received their access code today. Check your spam folder. If you don't get it by the end of today call your ticket rep.

I had a previous comment in this thread with details on how to get Apple TV on your big screen TV.

elhula repped this.
  12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I have family sharing setup on my account and at least the way I have it setup is that everyone in my family shares the credit card that's tied to the account. So if someone makes an App Store purchase it goes to my wife's card. It's not a problem for us but something others might want to be aware of. I would guess there is a way to prevent family members from making purchases.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No surprise, I am utterly unable to access my season pass on my Apple phone or my desk top computer. So, I guess I won't be watching any games I do not attend live.

F*ck MLS.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  14. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Should get an email with a link, at least we did.

Boysinblue repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even get wi-fi at your place?
    [​IMG]

Kaitlyn repped this.
  16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Are you coded because of your VPN or Legal Work?

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apparently my phone needs to be ios 16.2 or later.

My desktop does not recognize my phone's Apple ID and/or password.

I'm not f*cking around with this bullshit just to watch shitty soccer.

If there are away viewing parties, I will have a few beers and watch. If not, I won't.

And I may decline to renew season tickets next season.

I'm not amused. What a waste of my f*cking afternoon dealing with this bullshit.

tectonicnight and davidjd repped this.
  18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd still get a better connection then the rural midwest and south.

19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume doesn't need to be on the same network? I'm leerious because Apple is a bunch of c*nt bags like Netflix and I dont wanna get IP banned, and then have to IP Dox myself to unban myself--- just a shitty process lol.

So if I shared with @Goodsport @Beerking @markmcf8 I should be ok?

Goodsport repped this.
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the kind offer :thumbsup:, but earlier today I ended up buying the MLS Season Pass for $79. :oops:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

Kaitlyn repped this.
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    shitty soccer!? I thought we were playoff bound??

and Don, there's a bunch of tech types around here...I bet we can get you hooked up (by "we" I mean our tech types, I'm not one)...and get you hooked up with amazing DVR technology too...patience and perseverance, grasshopper!

22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt need an apple ID to subscribe to it. I just signed up, used my Gmail and then subscribed.

But this is why Apple and iOS suck

Boysinblue repped this.
  23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The email/password you used to sign up and log in is called your "Apple ID" when you use it for Apple services.

24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Assuming your iPhone is capable of running iOS 16.2 (actually 16.3 is the current version) just do the following.
    1. Plug your iPhone in so you don't run out of juice during the process
    2. Open the Settings app
    3. tap "General"
    4. tap "Software Update"
    5. tap "Update Now"

Follow any prompts after that. It will take some time to download and then your phone needs to reboot and load the new OS which all takes some time.

Quakes05 repped this.
  25. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I don’t think you can watch the games on either your Palm Pilot or your Blackberry