Apple iTab? iSlate? iPad? Tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by fischerw, Jan 26, 2010.

1. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
  2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    From the Gizmodo liveblog:
    Unless there's a premium version or it's going to be mentioned later, it looks like you'd have to get your own mobile data connection, which should keep the price lower (plus, you can't get it subsidized like you would with a cell phone).

3. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    iBOOKS app to compete with Kindle.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My only concern is how comfortable the screen will be to stare at for long periods of time during ebook use.

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The MLB.com app is nothing short of totally awesome looking. And I don't even like baseball that much.

6. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    3G on ATT for $30 a month - which is pretty much standard. No contract is nice.

Would have been nice if it could access the ATT mobile TV service .

7. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
  8. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
  9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    499-829

Very nice price, but this is going to make it very difficult to get one early on.

10. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
  11. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Worldwide release of Wifi model 60 days, 3G in 90 days.

[​IMG]

12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    hmmmm, I'm eyeing the 16 GB wifi only model. Need a new computer and was thinking laptop since all I use it for is internet and music, but an iPad at that price may be too good to pass up.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    It's gotta be very uncomfortable playing iPhone games on that thing. Especially ones with touch joysticks and buttons.

Basically it's a big iphone with iBooks+iWork. Nothing really out of this world.

14. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think having two different lines, with and without 3g, was a stroke of genius. iPhone owners will probably skip the 3g version (I probably would), while people who have other kinds of cell phones will say "Hmm, only $15 or $30 a month with no contract, why not"

It looks pretty awesome for sure. I'm not going to get one right away but I hope to eventually. I definitely wouldn't get any book reader besides this at this point.

15. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's exactly what I wanted. I already have some doc/pdf/ebook software for my phone, but the screen is too small for anything but very brief use.

Decent battery life, 3G, and very portable - everything I need. Gaming could be really fun once developers start adapting their apps for this.

16. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Not sure about the 16GB model, my wife has an iPod Touch with 16GB and it's nearly full, I got my kid a 32GB model and that would be the smallest I'd buy.

But if you need a laptop, then you probably need more HD space than what this product is currently offering.

Not sure what Apple can fit into the iPad, but the MacBook Air can fit a 128GB SSD (solid state drive), I'd wait for something like that.

17. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to leave for about 30 minutes during the presentation. I know it has a dock connector for connecting to your computer. But does it have USB ports independent of the dock? I mean, could I connect my digital camera directly to it?

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Yes. You can connect to your Mac or PC just like an iPod Touch and connect your peripherals to it as well..

19. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Makes it a great vacation device.

20. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    hmmm, you are right, wouldn't be enough room. Is the iPad capable of having an external hard drive connected to it? Didn't see that anywhere

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It connects to a dock that has a USB port, so I'm assuming you can do that, though it's not explicitly mentioned: http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/

22. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, it doesn't have a regular USB port. BUT, you get a little dongle that turns the dock connector into a regular USB port for digital cameras and other peripherals (and external hard drives, presumably)

23. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn ....

Basically a bigger iTouch, or perhaps an overpriced netbook with the keyboard chopped off.

It does look spiffy and slick, and will certainly be better for watching video and reading eBooks than an iTouch.

But does it offer anything beyond what current netbooks offer, besides a really slick look? Or, does it offer anything beyond an iTouch, besides a bigger screen?

But apart from that, it's nothing groundbreaking, and not terribly exciting.

It remains to be seen if this will expand sales for Apple, spurring on the otherwise lackluster slate market, or if it cannibalizes iTouch or MacBook sales.

24. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If it would have the normal OSX on it I'd be interested, but since Iphone OS can't even multitask (or show Flash videos in the native browser :) ) I'll just be happy with my macbook pro and safe money for an N900 and / or a DSi XXL.

25. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will totally change the world in a way that the Segway never could.

:D