Apertura 2011

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by dominikNYC, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dominikNYC

dominikNYC New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    NYC
    Just came back from Central America. Plan on heading back in February-March. Would love to catch San Jose derby. When does the schedule come out ? When does the Apertura start ? Thank you for your answer.

d.

2. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'm also wondering this too - I'm thinking of going down there for a week in April. Would love to catch a Saprissa vs Alajulense game. Where can I find the schedule (well, when does it come out)?

Dom, Saprissa plays their Champions League quarterfinal home leg against Olimpia on Feb 24.

If they advance they will likely play the home semifinal leg on April 5-7, and possibly the home championship leg (if they make it that far) on April 26-28.

I was hoping to possibly hit a Champions League match but it looks like I will be there in between those fixtures. :/ You might be able to catch the quarterfinals though.

3. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thanks.

Well, I'll probably be there for the last week of fixtures before the playoffs (Jornada 16) so hopefully there will be some important games then.

Looks like my options will be:

Saprissa-Cartagines
    Alajuelense-San Carlos
    Santos-UCR
    Perez Zeledon-Barrio Mexico
    Limon FC - Puntarenas FC
    Herediano-Brujas

4. dominikNYC

dominikNYC New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    NYC
    Big thank you for all your suggestion and match fixtures!

Alajuelense-Saprissa is in January. I can not travel in that month :( I still haven't decide when to travel but aiming for Saprissa-Olimpia on Feb 24th in the Champions League. Is that a big fixture ? Do fans turn out for this game ? Been traveling for football all my life and would love to experience some Central American flavor.

Any people on this board based in Costa Rica ?

Thank you for your answer.
    d.

5. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Are there any clubs that play near Arenal? It looks like we will be going a week earlier than I thought, and we will most likely be up near Arenal Volcano that weekend.

From browisng on wikipedia it kinda looks like Ciudad Quesada is in somewhat nearby... is it? It says that is where San Carlos plays, and the match that weekend would be San Carlos - Santos... would that be worthwhile to attend?

*Also a huge LOL at San Carlos' team roster on wikipedia. I realize these guys just happen to have the same name, but according to that they have a retired NBA basketball player, a Spanish cyclist, and a Cuban ballet dancer on their squad. haha