Anywhere's better than here - World Cup 2022 Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Happy for martinez

Anonymous_United and Sofabloke repped this.
  2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don’t put words in my mouth, wasnt detracting in any way from Jairzinho - you are right to say that not his fault one less knockout stage in 1970.

However the original point was that Messi scoring in group, last 16, quarters, semi and final is evidence he contributed this WC.

The Messi stuff will be ott (as is the nature of things these days) and I am a reluctant Messi admirer (check my posting history) for a number of reasons - but it is what it is.

I stand by what I said - tbf he has put the Ronaldo / Messi current GOAT of his era debate to bed this WC.

Mbappe with maybe 3 world cups and many years left may have something to say about that in the future … :)

SF19 repped this.
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, they were saying the best WC Final, not the best ever game. And it was easily the best WC Final ever.

benni... repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    how did i put words in your mouth... you said it needed a caveat and i said it doesn't.

i never said you said anything either. i said he finally had a good world cup. i have no idea where that came from. it should have been obvious i referring to the sources that put out the false facts

6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Referee did a great a job. There was one call late on in regular time where he stopped the play, just when France had a good move on, but I think he just got so tired from the end-to-end play that ref needed to catch his breath. Everything else he did was on the mark.

Good game, but the only class players on the pitch were a couple of guys from PSG. The way clubs are built these days has left us spoiled. They are the super teams. International football isn't the same as before. It's not like Spain are half Barca and half Real players anymore. All the players play at different clubs and teams look very disjointed. It's amazing an international manager can make a team play in a way that looks coherent.

The one good thing about international football is the play is a bit slower and so arguably there is room for a player like Messi to walk around the park, but in the UCL or EPL, I can't imagine any kind of player getting away with it.

benni... and Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Happy for Messi and our Licha, This GOAT debate is infuriating. France could have won it in normal time and Mouni(sp) in the end but great WC n awesome final. I dont like Mbappe(psg drama) but feeling a bit for him, he is mesmerizing and will def break klose record and may win WC one more time.

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Mbappé-Lottin should rightfully be pissed. virus or not no one else showed up besides the sub Kolo Muani? from what was reported.

what more should he have done? scored 4?

he already did a 2002 R9 and bagged 8 goals which was a Herculean effort on it's own. as for the rest between giving up penalties and missing them... oh boy

JayBoy and Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Kingsley Coman also showed up.

I don't rate him but he brought energy and aggression like Kolo Muani. He bodied Messi start one of the goals.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    do you consider this a throw by the French?

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Speaking of players who were awful at this WC, I can’t think of anyone who played worse than Laurturo Martinez. Holy shit was he bad. Putrid in the group stages and then when given a chance to redeem himself in the final he comes on and misses like 3 easy chances.

majspike and JC7rox repped this.
  12. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    With all due respect to everyone on here, this place is salty as all ********. The bitterness is overwhelming.

Objectively speaking, that is one of the greatest games I have ever seen. I know people are going to be cheeky and say that a 4-3 game between Man Utd and Newcastle was better, or some shit like that. But yesterday’s game was the biggest game the sport has, with the most pressure, and it 100% delivered as a spectacle.

Some incredible goals, incredible goalkeeping. It was back and forth literally until the end. Two superstars operating in their own echelon, each delivering. What more could you ask for as a viewer?

I’m also really glad to see Messi get his WC title. His career deserves it.

I’m mostly glad, though, to have just watched one of the most legendary games in the sport’s history.

13. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great game great world cup tournament. Probably the best world cup I can remember. Totally enjoyed it.

Sofabloke repped this.
  14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He did have a big hand in their third goal. He blasted the shot that Lorris could only knock down to Messi who put it in.

15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It was a good game, better than any WC final I had seen, but France didn't have a shot on goal until Mbappe scored that penalty very late in the game. Also, too many games were decided on penalties, which is much more rare at club level. FIFA is feeling more Mickey Mouse, like FIBA compared to the NBA.

JayBoy repped this.
  16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thought the manager battle was interesting yesterday.

Scaloni got his starting tactics spot-on. France weak down their left anyway as Mbappe doesnt track back much and is where Messi operates anyway - but they properly overloaded it causing France mids to have to shift over. Putting Di Maria (deployed on the other wing for a change) in loads of space against Kounde / Dembele. Also he had De Paul and Mac Allister really break forward.

The extra man in a 4-3-3 over France 4-2-3-1 really hurt France - they were dominated in midfield and couldnt progress. Reminded me of all those United games we’ve watched where our midfield 2 dominated by harder working 3 and we cant get our front 4 involved.

Deschamps to be fair having been out-smarted on opening tactics won the in-game tactics / subs battle later. Steadied things a little relatively earlyish with a double sub 41’ - including hauling off Dembele who had a ‘mare. The subs he made on 71’ then changed the game.

Scaloni had plenty of chances to change things up when ahead, especially 2nd half - in particular should have brought on Lisandro Martinez, they really needed his attributes against France. Only making one sub in 90’ was crazy.

J'can, SF19 and JC7rox repped this.
  17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The first half was mad lop sided. The game only kicked off once France scored. Before that, Argentina had dominated for the most part and looked on their way to a dominant victory. That’s when the drama kicked in.

All in all, it was a great WC.

J'can repped this.
  18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is an interesting take. International football I think has been surpassed by club ball specifically the top European teams and aided by the money being pumped in.

The fiba comparison comes up short because there is a genuine love for the game worldwide that was and still is fostered by the WC and the club game equally. In bb case the popularity is being pushed by the NBA so fiba will always be subpar and second fiddle.

The WC won't lose it's significance anytime soon. Though the club game is a little more competitive.

19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ Just wait to when 48 teams turns to 64 and it's held each two years. And of course in order to watch Manchester United, we will need a Disney subscription and Old Trafford turns into Disneyland Manchester.

Anonymous_United and CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You love the Mickey mouse theme don't ya....

I am concerned about the 48 teams issue as well. You could potentially pick up one or two more quality teams but get stuck with mostly average teams. The distribution is an issue.

And then you have the hosting situation. Tri country host is an issue too.

Your concerns are valid unfortunately :(

21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States