Anyone here got broadband?

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by claret50, Oct 29, 2004.

1. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ever since I've had a computer it's always been on dial up, next Friday we change to broadband, for those who have this, do you have any problems with it? at the moment I have a 56k modem, next Friday it'll be 256k, technology confuses me!! :confused:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    It is going to blow your friggin' mind! I hope you're getting cable since it is the fastest, but DSL is much, much better than dial-up also. There are a few more problems with DSL and it's half as fast as cable. Sattelite is not much better than dial-up. If this is your family connection and you or someone else has aone GET A WIRELESS ROUTER. I have a desktop for gaming and I bought a laptop for work and school. I can roam around my backyard and up to my uncles house and stay connected. Also use an old computer (if you have one) to set up a media server for MP3's and photos or other files so that anyone in your house can access them. You will be able to download updates and software in no time and that's very important for your PC's security and performance.

3. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cheers Kaiser, all I know at this stage is that it's online 24/7 and the phone line is freed up, there's only me & the missus that use the pc, the music download I use is ares, and that's bloody quick even with dial up, and this is supposed to be 50 times faster!

4. Sxboy66

Sxboy66 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm over here!
    Sounds like DSL Brian, I had it in Florida but now I'm back here and living in the sticks I can't get broadband and I miss it.

The nice people at BT have come up with a better alternative to dial up though, they call it mid-band and it runs at 128k or automatically drops down to 56k if the phone rings or I make a phone call but it stays connected. Bloody marvelous it is.

You'll be spoilt when you get BB and you'll wonder how you coped without it.

5. ballard45

ballard45 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Melbourne, Vic, Aus
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sounds like ADSL Brian. You'll find it a lot better than dial-up. Surfing the web will be that much quicker(you'll even get the WHU scores quicker)!!

It's the way to go. Just be careful if you download music. Because of the speed, it can be easy to download heaps more than normal and if you're not in an unlimited plan then if you go over the limit it can cost you! Also make sure that your music program isn't sharing files otherwise you can be caught for the uploads from you.

Cheers,
    Trevor

6. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for all the info lads, I really appreciate your knowledge on these matters, the plan we'll be on is unlimited and it don't cost that much more than dial up, more importantly, here's to a decent thumping of Plymouth later on, cheers!
    UP THE HAMMERS!!!!!

7. 147man

147man New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Kenilworth
    The only thing to look out for Claret is that since your connection to the Internet will always be on you MUST have decent defences against the wankers out there who will try to attack you (bit like going to the New Den really!) so you'll need a Firewall (I presume you've got anti virus already).

C'Mon you Iron - Stuff those Pilgrims!

8. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Broadband got connected today, and I'm impressed!! it's like bloody superman, never known anything so quick, firewalls and security are up and running, so thanks once again for your tips, and pleeeeeease lets have 3 points on the weekend, cheers all,
    Brian.

9. blainehammer

blainehammer Member

Oct 12, 2004
    White Rock, Canada
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Hey Briam,
    The only thing quicker than broadband is that broad who used to work in the Moby Dick!!!!