Anyone having a rethink about Mad Jens???

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Nov 7, 2004.

1. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Now, I've fairly consistantly been agin the big kraut, but, he's be shielded to some extent by the unbeaten run. So I'm curious, in the light of recent displays, has anyone out there changed their viewpoint and if so are you ready to stand up and be counted amongst us dissenters?

While I'd definitely lay some of the goals we've conceded at his door, a lot of them you can't and yet.... IMHO he often looks incapable of saving anything other than a straight shot. His attempt at stopping Palace's equaliser was nothing short of embarassing! Not that I'm blaming him for the goal you understand; but did anyone else think he looked like someone's dad down the park, reacting long after the ball's gone past him?

Sorry, but, I've seen enough! Don't care about being reasonable or looking at the stats, or the opta index or a crystal ball or the fact that he's Germany's #2! I want Alumnia to be given several starts between now and January, and if he's not up to the job, then I want the board to splash out a serious wedge and put someone better than decent between the sticks at Highbury!

Defenders make mistakes and it would be nice to have a keeper who you feel is capable of undoing them, not making them worse?

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Lauren and Lehmann... both must go... the biggest fan of lehmann is mr. breese.. but rick, can you name one save that he made where you went, QUALITY!!! i, in all honesty, cannot...

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not on the "lynch Lehmann" bandwagon but I agree that it's hard to recall (for me at least) any really spectacular saves he's made. Even during his decline, Seaman had moments of brilliance.....Peschosolido's header in the FA semis two years ago.

Anyone willing to remind me of some of Jens' great saves, I'd appreciate it.....I'm not being sarcastic but really want to be reminded if someone remembers a few.

4. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    49 unbeaten games that Seaman didn't have. How soon we forget-Colonel Abrams track.

Wenger once said, Arsenal are spoiling their fans. I see what he meant now.
    They only lost one game. Hell! One hell of a game!
    But I told you all, there was no way they would win that one.

5. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Lehman is a total nut case - no doubt. But I like him. A lot. He makes mistakes that you would expect him to. I mean sure hes a sweeper keeper but hes been in the EPL playing at highbury for long enough now that he should have adapted.

That said he is an excellant shot stopper. Ive seen him make some aboloute gravity defying saves on a Sturday afternoon. He also shows some real inspired flashes of brilliance.

Against Southampton Ash cole was pursuing a sout'on attacker, who inturn was pursiong a dead ball on the extreme wing. Lehman came belting of his line right into the corner area to send the ball out of play inches away from the attackers feet.

Now the whole crowd was getting on his back after that little stunt, and i heard a few people around me moaning that hes a liability. But for me, I thought it was an inspired move, that took a lot of guts as it could have easily gone pear shaped. But to my eye it didnt look like Ash Cole was gonna be able to get a tackle in, and the rest of the defense was still aways up the pitch. Basically if Lehman had stayed on his line he would have been one on one with the attacker. He knew he could get to the ball and not have to recieve the shot - so he did.

It was scary as hell make no mistake but maybe people just dont understnad what hes trying to do.

That said I have to squint a bit to see whats going in when the ball is down the Clock. So I might have misjudged the distances involved - my depth perception is horrible :)

Rick was probably there. Woulda had an ideal view from his seat. Was it as clever as I thought it was or was he just lucky?

6. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    I 'll tell you what though. Lehmann is a good keeper. I think he makes those blunders because he doesn't trust some of the kamikaze defenders that Wenger puts infront of him. For example if he trusted Cygan he would have stayed in the goal, and that ridiculous header by Cygan would be an easy catch.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you not understand the part where I said I'm not one of the "lynch Lehmann" folks? You need to learn to read more carefully.

8. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Well, if you don't recall any of his great saves, how could he be between the sticks in the 49 unbeaten games. That dude frustrated me so many times with his saves. More than I care to remember.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really are obtuse. I said I don't recall Jens making any really spectacular saves along the lines of the one Seaman made in the FA semi-finals two years ago. That does not mean I think he is a bad keeper....heck maybe his positioning is usually so good that spectacular saves are unnecessary. It was more of a question to other posters not a criticism of Lehmann.

10. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Yes i can name 2 and they were both in one game
    i dont remeebr which one it was but they did a low drive from a tight angle which was going in far post and he got down to save very very well
    but 2 in a season sucks penii

i was really impressed with the one against Palace..you know the one where he dived after the ball had already hit the back of the net

11. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    will coach or rick please ban this fvck from our forum???
    i reckon id put him on my ignore list, but people always reply to his nonsense and i end up seeing his posts anyway... definition of troll~

12. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    which game fedwood? against whom? but christ, if we are TRYING to think of ONE brilliant save, he shouldnt be the starter..
    end of~

:)

13. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    Jens hasn't been as good this season but i think he is a good keeper (not world class).
    I agree with the comments about trusting the defenders...our defence have been awful - positioning and marking have been way off.
    We need to fix our defence before getting a new keeper...don't forget we dont have lots of money to spend.

Why haven't we hired Seaman as goalkeeping coach yet?

14. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No rethink, I said last season he isn't good enough and I stand by it.

15. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Sorry, but, no defence is perfect and ours is still one of the best in the Prem. The meanest outfit at the moment is Zani's Blues, but, lets have a reality "check" here! Have you seen some of the saves Cech has made to keep there 'goals against' so shiney bright?? The man has been worth at least 5 points already this season!

Lehman has unquestionably cost us points in the CL and the EPL, but, as well as a lack of spectacular saves, can anyone balance the books and tell me a single game where you left the stadium or turned off the TV and said, "Mad Jens got us the point/s today"? I think I might have said it once but it's too hazy a recollection to give solid form to!

16. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lehmann has made some good saves and been in the right position for a lot of shots, but at the same time he makes me nervous. I don't have the confident feeling I had with Seaman in goal. I worry he will do something out of sorts and am relieved when he makes the save. He's not a horrible keeper, but the team needs somebody to be the anchor and director of the defense.

17. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I still support the Mad German. He's made some mistakes, but overall he's doing a pretty good job. It's some of the people in front of him who aren't.

18. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Is anyone else picturing Zani as the warden in The Shawshank Redemption?

19. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I ended up taking him off my ignore list for that very reason.

20. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I WILL NEVER STOP ENJOYING OUR UNBALANCED GERMAN KEEPER!!!!

OK, now I feel better...

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than "Fair and Balanced" :D

22. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jens isn't the best and he has his mental breakdowns but a replacement is hardly are most pressing need. A good defense can do a lot to cover a GK weaknesses (see record unbeaten streak). Our defense has recently been highlighting them. I bet the addition of a good central defender would do wonders for Jens game and bring us right back to last year's superb defense. How does the new GK Almunia look?

Anyway, I'd rather we take our limited transfer funds and apply them where they will do the most to improve our team's performance. Another central defender would offer cover and get our worst player off the pitch. That is certainly more important than getting someone slightly better than Jens.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm familiar with the movie line.....I think you're giving Zani way too much credit.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yoss, are you really arguing with ZANI? Its as effective as asking Phish fans to stop getting high.

25. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Hes not a troll - hes just - well - Zani. He does add humour, all be it unitentional.