Anyone else sick of Quakes fans yet?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Onionsack, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Caterinca

Caterinca Red Card

Jan 6, 2005
    Utah
    What Quakes? What Fans?
    I remember a team with that name, but i don't remember them having any fans. Well, there were a bunch of nerds, maybe like 12 of them, on some defunct forum, but only a quarter of them were going to the games.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think Quakes fans were shocked. We'd been anticipating it amidst constant threats for years. But when bad things happen, even when you expect them, it tends to hit harder than you can anticipate. Several years ago, I had the same feeling about a layoff that I was fairly sure was coming.

Sorry but this is a pathetic thread, with its "ridicule the victim" premise. I'm sorry to see it resurrected.

3. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    No, I'm not sick of the Quakes fans yet. Let them vent. It just shows how much they really cared about their team.

We almost lost our team, so I feel for them. They are great fans.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy delayed reaction.

Everyone feels for them and didn't want to have SJ move, but for a while there they were some fans being absolutly retarded...like Miami stealing the Supporters Shield stupid. Calling for a MLS boycott, filing complaints to FIFA, death threats to AEG and Garber, etc.

Based on the massive possitve rep i got at the time i would say many people were growing tired of the idoicy eminating from San Jose back then.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hey angra... check out and see my (lack of) responses to this thread. Bear that in mind when you go trolling on the SJ boards ispectin' me to be a constant threat w/ every post.

Yeah, Onionsack, ditto on the pos rep... and neg rep from a small # of SJ fans... at the time, there was a serious case of excessive whiny. NOW... it's a case of uber sensitivity to any outsider that they conceive as having wronged them once. i swear to God... no matter WHAT I post there, there's always 2-3 guys there that will latch onto anything and start a flame war.

But at least they're confined nowadays to the SJ forum, and the village idiots don't venture outside their cozy confines of Smurfdom.

Carry on w/ the delayed reaction thread.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This just in.

A common reaction / stage associated with loss is anger. When people are angry they say angry things, not all of which is entirely level-headed and rationale. I don't recall "death threats to AEG and Garber" but it's possible. As for MLS boycott, some Quakes fans are personally boycotting MLS, which is not an entirely irrational position given the circumstances.

I'm glad you received "massive possitive[sic] rep" from the no empathy brigade, but I don't see overwhelming support for your position of ridicule in this thread. Maybe a couple of posts out of 30 and that's about it.

7. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bolded the key part of your post, c'mon, of course there were some pissed off.. did some go overboard? yes, is it fair to group all of the fans in with the radical few? no

8. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Is Quakes fans an oxymoron? :eek:

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    How were they duped? When did they ever gather as a club, hold meetings as a club, become shareholders in anything beyond a season ticket to a soccer team?

ESC -- Empire Supporters Club -- is a club. It's roots are in the now defunct New York Centaurs, an A-League team. ESC transferred its attention to Metro in '96, but if the Centaurs had remained in town the club would have found a way to support both. And if Uncle Phil finally has enough of the New York Metropoitan area, and turns Harrison over to lacrosse, the club might well support that along with a local USL team.

Metrostars -- is a franchise, not a club, just like all the other MLS teams.

As fans we get attached to our local team -- attached is an understatement -- and we lose sight of the fact that the team owes us nothing more than what is promised when we buy the ticket: a soccer match. It is true that the league and the owners trade on brand loyalty and fan enthusiasm -- but that doesnt always pay the bills or even justify a loss with an eye toward future profits.

We need to grow up and face reality, and either accept the situation or buy or invest in our own teams -- form our own clubs and start building from the lowest level.

If the San Jose fans have so much passion for the game, so much devotion to offer, they should find a team to call their own, and lavish all that love on it, instead of wasting time on hate mail. If you love something, make sure it can love you back or get ready for heartbreak.

10. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    As a Quakes fan, I love being made out as the bad guy on a mother********ing soccer supporter website - as opposed to the Glazer/Enron types running the league.

Seems to be a much more common theme here than fan unity or grassroots bullshjt detection - the normal functions of a supporters community. Where are the threads titled "Anyone sick of AEG's underhanded mismanagement of the Quakes franchise?" Only in the Quakes forum.

Go die in a fire all you corporate suck-up losers.

11. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    According to reports of the latest SSV meeting, fan-owned clubs are not permitted in MLS. Bay Area teams do exist and fans on the San Jose board are discussing which they might support.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Can we dispense altogether with the ridiculous notion that Quakes fans were angry about the relocation because they thought all along that "it" was a "club" and not a "franchise"? It's a false and insulting premise. When there's a loss like this, people get angry anyway, no matter how much they understand that owners of businesses / franchises are free to do whatever they choose to do with them. Are Quakes fans the first ones to get angry about a relocation in the context of a "franchise" relocation? Were Cleveland Browns fans not angry? Houton Oilers fans? Miami / Tampa Bay MLS fans?

I don't know many SJ fans that are "wasting time on hate mail" at this point. To get an idea of the types of things that SSV is doing these days, along the lines of what you suggest, take a look at the information on their site, particularly the notes from the 2/27 meeting.

13. OldManAndThePitch

Jan 23, 2006
    Boulder
    I have been following the Quakes boards for several years and "village idiots" is not a term I would have used to describe them. And, if I had trashed them like that on other boards, I would not expect them to be nice to me when I went to their boards to tell them how wrong they are.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There's a differenc btw "village of idiots" and "village idiots". The latter implies a select group of ppl. Given the # of pos rep I got from SJ fans, I assure you that many ppl were aware of their village idiots that drag the conversation down.

Every forum has idiots. Par for the course.

The village idiots for SJ gave the rest of the fans (the majority) a bad rap by taking the "talking points" to an extreme and then plaguing the rest of bs w/ their idiocy.

Nah. But I would expect them to know when to recognize an assault from friendly conversation that actually seeks to further their interests.

15. 5teve

5teve New Member

May 24, 2005
    even though they aint got a team there still better than the metros. yhea i know it dont really make sense but ya get what im trying to say the metros suck no offence just cant stand that team with lalas the media hore they aint won shit but they make out they own the league damn team

16. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    will this cryathalon ever end?

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think people will whine about Quakes fans for quite a long time.

18. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

Carlitos, here you are again. We have to stop meeting like this. I thought that Dakota and I cut you down to size and proved that you are a two-faced
    little man full of himself and nonsense. You must be fun at parties. Maybe you need another yellow card. How can you call it trolling when I go on the SJ boards? I am a proud Quakes fan, so I go on the Quakes board. Anything wrong with that picture?
    Don't swear to God. It sounds worse than your other pathetic statement " I'm a teacher by birth" I'm still laughing at that one. There is more than 2-3 guys that get upset at your know it all attitude. Most of them choose to ignore you, something that I need to conquer, but, you are so much fun...
    Man, you even had to clarify the difference between ''village idiots" and "village of idiots". Stop talking down to people. You must learn how to listen. You and your thesis are not important. Maybe only to LA fans. Speaking of LA fans, would you say they are "village idiots" or "village of idiots"? Never mind, I know the answer.:rolleyes:
    Missing my Quakes in Smurfland!

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All you proved was that the 2 of you are paranoid and any time I go over there, you freak out and try to start a flame war b/c in the past, I've been truthful about the Smurfs (see the thread title to get an idea of the whinyness of your brethren... and you).

B/c you start flame wars.

Well, let the "born teacher" in me speak: mind your subject-verb agreement. "There are more than 2-3 guys"... :D

And trust me... there are more than 2-3 guys on SJ boards that don't like you, dakatajoke and a bunch of other "village idiots". And trust me... there were a LOT of ppl on the rest of BS that got sick of the "village idiots".

Let's call it even, m'kay.

Well, if you could read, you'd see my answer:

20. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "All you proved was that the 2 of you are paranoid and any time I go over there, you freak out and try to start a flame war b/c in the past, I've been truthful about the Smurfs (see the thread title to get an idea of the whinyness of your brethren... and you)."

Paranoid? LOL! I'd say you are coming across as obsessed! You like to throw those words around freely. Obsession is constantly putting me in your signature. Paranoia is thinking I will jump on every post you make. Did I bother to respond to your post and link on the new name that Houston thread? Who was trying to start a flame war there, Carlos? You come across as a pouty little boy who screams "listen to me, listen to me". Sad and pathetic.

"B/c you start flame wars."

Kettle-black-pot. You know the cliche.

"Well, let the "born teacher" in me speak: mind your subject-verb agreement. "There are more than 2-3 guys"... :D
    And trust me... there are more than 2-3 guys on SJ boards that don't like you, dakatajoke and a bunch of other "village idiots". And trust me... there were a LOT of ppl on the rest of BS that got sick of the "village idiots"."

Yeah, my rep is just full of red from all of those Quake fans who dislike me. Hows the yellow card going?

"Let's call it even, m'kay."

Naw, still waiting for you to reply in the bickering thread. You said take it there, then you failed to respond even when you were challenged on the Quakes board by someone else. I've left you alone, Carlos. I don't play this neg/pos rep crap like you do. That's for little kids. You've gotten all kinds of pos rep from SJ fans? Good for you. I do know this-- you're coming across as a two-faced know-it-all. No wonder you love AEG!