Any word on Dante's ankle?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 10 fan, Nov 5, 2004.

1. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    I haven't heard anything about the extent of the injury Dante (may have) suffered toward the end of the game Sunday. This happened right before Cunningham came in. It looked very bad, but since I haven't heard anything, am I correct to assume he's OK?

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well he has plenty of time to heal, whatever happened.

3. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    It was a 2nd/3rd degree ankle sprain. He's still receiving treatment from the Crew medical staff. Not on crutches at this point, but still hobbling quite noticeably.

Sirk

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I also heard from someone who said they saw Chad Marshall out, that he's in a foot/ankle cast. Anyone else know anything about this?

5. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Don't know anything about it, but it was from the incident at the end of the game (which should have gotten us a 3rd PK) where Reis basically kicked the back of Marshall's ankle in an attempt to get the ball. The same one which Waldo described as "clearly getting the ball" only to be silenced by the instant replay.

6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Dante's ankle is old and should at best be used as a late game sub.

7. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    "Ten minutes plus added time left and the Crew are down a goal. Dante's ankle is up and taking off it's warmups..."

8. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Boy am I sure glad "KIng Dante" came back. He really gave us some extra fire power.

9. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    First of all, it's an old injury (broken foot) that he played through during the year. It was getting much more painful at the end so he finally has been able to take care of it.

Second, TIVO in slow mo showed that Reis poked the ball away and that Chad stepped with his right foot on Reis' right foot causing the twisted ankle. Prus had the view from the top of the 18. It looked bad from the run of play (and from the original camera angle) but it was definitely not a PK. And why in God's name would you want us to have another PK if we couldn't do anything with the first TWO??????

10. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    So we signed a player that already had some injury concern?

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Eggy, stay with the flow...they are talking about Marshall.

12. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Thanks for the clarification regarding Marshall's injury. From the replay I saw it looked like Reis kicked him in the back of the ankle, but I'll trust you on that one.

Regarding a 3rd PK, they do say that the third time is a charm. Maybe Cunny or Buddle would have gotten the selfishness to take it.

13. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    But the damage would already been done and they would have shanked it too. I remember watching an Argentina match a few years back where they got 3 PK's and the same player (consistent National team member who's name escapes me) took all three getting an oh-fer. One over, one saved, one against the post. They lost 2-1.