Any update on Expansion?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 21, 2005.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious. I haven't heard much out of Rochester since they said they could have boughten the Wizards.

And I know Garber always includes them in the latest expansion list.

Anything new?

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is only considering Rochester as an emergency move because of its small market. They were considered in 2004, when Vergera wanted Chivas USA in the MLS early, and MLS needed a quick expansion team to make the league even.

3. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    That's pretty much it. There was also a mention by the owner of the Rhinos that Rochester was close to landing an existing team sometime in the recent past as well.

Rochester is only used for leverage and for potential back-up in case there is one other city/invester ready to go. So any time you hear Rochester being mentioned, just know it is only because MLS needs either a barganing chip or an insurance policy at that time. It's a shame that it has to be that way.

4. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, I think there's a 75% chance that in 2007, SJ and KC will stay and Houston will be the expansion. That'll leave 1 spot left. Right now, Toronto has the best chance to get it because in the next week or two, we'll find out whether they build that SSS or not. People say it's a likely chance it'll happen. MLS was never mentioned in the proposals but I can't imagine the Toronto Lynx using it or letting it sit after the FIFA Youth tourney. If that goes through, by the All-Star break, Rochester fans may already be forced to work on 2009.

5. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I dont think relocating an MLS team to rochester will equal success...
    I think Rochester fans are RHINO FANS and want to see the RHINOS in MLS and not some unwanted team from california or middle america....

Rhinos are getting their own stadium and this will be good for them and to join MLS would mean all their profits would go to paying off debt from others I dont think Rhinos owners want to do this...

When the rhinos are packing their new home week in and week out MLS will take another look at them..

I have been saying for a long long time rochester should be in right off the bat they draw better than half of the "major league" teams...

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if the Rhino's ownership went into MLS, wouldn't the MLS shoulder 51% of the debt?

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    yes, and they'd be responsible for shouldering their portion of 51% of the debt for the rest of the league....

8. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    Yes, for God's sake don't send Josh Wolf or Brian Ching to my town. I'd never want to go watch them play soccer. I just want Doug Miller 24/7 because I'm a RHINO FAN! Get real.

Rochester fans are SOCCER FANS. You have a strange concept of thousands of people that you've never met.

9. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Amen to that!!! We are proud of the Rhinos history, the management, and PTP, but who in Rochester would not love a higher level of soccer. As for being Rhinos Fans, that would not change, because if KC or SJ or some other MLS team relocated to Rochester they would lose the name and be The Rochester Rhinos FC, MLS. So they would keep the Rhinos fans and add fans from a more area type exposure in Buffalo and Syracuse.

10. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad I was not the only one thinking this way. It really doesnt take much brain power to realize that if you relocate a team to Rochester you can name them whatever you want. I mean, come on people. When teams move to a different city 90% of the time they change their name to fit their new home.

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm Rochester has a stadium being built which will be ready for the START of next season. Rochester has a proven ownership group capable of doing with a franchise what Checketts has done in SLC. Rochester has a proven market.

Toronto has a rumored ownership group at best, MIGHT have a stadium built by 2007 and has never supported professional soccer team well over the course of a league season. SO, why is Toronto a better fit again?

Rochester may not be as sexy of a market as Toronto, but I'm sure you've heard the song, "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, get an ugly woman to marry you."

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Duross (sp?) and the other Rhinos owners have MLS-type money?
    Checketts paid MLS a big fat $10 million for RSL.
    Can Rhinos do that?

13. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    That was too easy. I fixed your post.

RSL has done well this year, but they did not really meet all of MLS's requirements. Keep in mind that they only had 2/3s of the combination to get into MLS. I'll believe Salt Lake will have an SSS when they are deep into construction.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I am not trying to slam the Rhinos. But Checketts does have the money for his own stadium. And a MLS stadium will cost well over 30 million. Try like 60-70 easy.
    Checketts has said many times that he will put up at least half (which is 30 million).
    He is just trying to do what DuRoss did, get the government to pay part of it.
    RSL will have a stadium soon. They have 5,000 STHs and they have the 2nd highest attendance in MLS. So whats your point?

The main objective of this thread is not RSL, but the Rhinos.
    *Can the Rhinos dish out $10 million more for a MLS team after paying for a new stadium?
    That is the ONLY question. If they have the 10, their in. Period.

15. Guelah Papyrus

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "yes" to this one. 10 million for a "major league" franchise is peanuts and I'm sure that someone somewhere understands the success that they would have in Rochester. There are 2 or 3 other local people who could pay 10mil and not blink. It's just a matter of convincing them.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, I've lived near Rochester and have many friends from there.
    I WANT the Rhinos to go MLS.

On a side note, I think its more than $10 million now for a MLS team.
    FYI

17. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Rhinos can easily come up with a group willing to put down $10mill. I believe FDR is a great businessman and will try as hard as possible to not have to pay $10mill. He may just get away with it.

18. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll see the going, market price for an MLS team with the sale of KC and SJ.

It's nice if you list your house at $500,000 but if the market isn't there, if you really want to sell it, you're going to sell it for less.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's that working out for him so far?

20. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    That might be what the owners are saying, but a MLS team, is not a MLS team, is not a MLS team.

LA, DC....sure.
    Dallas, Columbus...ok, maybe
    KC, SJ....don't bet on it.

KC is worth whatever someone offers Lamar Hunt during the next few months.

21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    They already had a $13.5 million offer for KC.

22. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In KC?

Or in one of the NYC burroughs?

How much is a team in KC worth?

23. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll see once we have 2/3rds of the MLS formula.

24. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Go check the NASL Stats at Kenn.com Toronto outdrew Rochester in the http://www.kenn.com/sports/soccer/nasl/index.htmlNASL.

Of the 9 years the Lancers where in the Leauge Toronto outdrew them 7 times.

As Gerber stated Yesterday. Toronto is the front runner and Rochester would be a canidate if they had an owner step up with the Money needed.

That is the Issue. The present owner does not have the funds needed to get into MLS.

Rochester have The fan Base The SSS but not a deep pocket owner.
    When they have one, they stand a good chance of getting into MLS.

The Rivalry would be great.

25. Guelah Papyrus

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    The post you were answering probably should have mentioned the A-League/USL1 support. Sure Toronto supported a team in the 70's. So did Tampa Bay, and look what happened to them.