Any UNCG Spartans out there?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by djwalker, Sep 27, 2003.

1. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the G during the glory years of D3 dominance. Though they haven't exactly been world beaters since joining D1, I still have hopes they'll be back at the top soon.

WHO'S WITH ME???

2. Furmanfootball

Furmanfootball New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    greenville
    Dream on son, uncg will never wake up not if furman is still in the southern conference. They will always be second to furman (if at all they get their acts together)

3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Typical...

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I have no allegiance to UNC-G but I think they have a good coach and some of their alum (more than a certain other SoCon school) have done well at the next level.

Alejandro Moreno has had a very nice MLS career so far and appears to be improving all the time.

And Chris Goos had a great rookie year in the A-League, becoming a starter and playing very well for the champion Charleston Battery. He certainly played well enough that I bet he gets an invite to an MLS camp next spring.

Are there any current UNC-G players who have a chance to make it at the pro level?

5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I disagree with your assessment of Michael Parker.

6. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I play on a men's amateur team with a couple UNCG guys who played there in the late 80s/early 90s.

7. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    I haven't seen them in action, but based on their stats, Randi Patterson looks like the guy to watch.

He's a freshman from Hackensack who has started every game, scored 5 in 7 and, by far, leads the team in shots.

The rest look like solid players, but more strong squad guys than MLS futures.

8. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying desperately to recall the name of the keeper on the great mid-80's teams. Rich was his first name, but I can't remember his last.

He was not only a superlative keeper, but a truly great guy.

Anyone? Anyone?

9. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, son, looks like they're gettin' there

10. Robzskowski

Robzskowski New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    His name is Richie Schlentz. He still lives in Greensboro, married with two girls. You are correct about his skill and attitude. I played with him in '85.

11. cwcoyote

cwcoyote New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    who from UNCG do you play with now? those were my years at the G.

12. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that! I remember he had a wonderful girlfriend; sweet, smart, just a terrific girl. Did he marry her?

I no doubt saw you play many times, if you played on the '85 team with Richie. Great to hear from you.

13. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Robzskowski

Robzskowski New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Her name is Angie and yes he did. I married her roomate Sindi.
    I don't know if you remember "H" aka Doug Hamilton. He played sweeper and right back for us. He is the General Manager of the L.A Galaxy.
    I played stopper for the '85 championship team. Rob Roszkowski

15. Robzskowski

Robzskowski New Member

Oct 14, 2004
  16. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Sorry, I hadn't checked back for a while. Stephen Hamilton (Doug's brother) and Dave Radwanzski.

17. cwcoyote

cwcoyote New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    aha..i'm very good friends with Steve, he was my road roomie on the team our Sr year. he now lives in LA 1 block from me and works with me out here. i knew Dave fairly well.

18. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great to hear. Thanks for the update. I think it's highly unlikely he'd remember me after all these years, but, if you should see him, tell him David Walker sends his highest regards.

Those were some great teams you played on. Such creativity and spirit. So good at playing down the wing and getting in the cross. Great memories. I remember when you won the title in, I think, '85, at home, you guys taking a victory lap singing "here we go".

19. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I met Steve when he was working here for AEG, since Doug Hicks is a good friend of mine from college. We convinced him to join our men's team here, called -- get this -- Gildar, so I got to now him very well. He then got Dave to join. Even though I started Gildar, I've since left the team, but Dave is still on it (Steve played with my new team in an indoor league until he met). Our shared appreciation (his more than mine) of Bruce Springsteen and beer, also prove to solidify the friendship.

I see him pretty much every time he's in town now and he's on the list for an E-mail I send out every day about soccer stuff.