Any Rumors On Barcelona coming to the Bay Area to play the Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Korsaaven, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    MLS wouldn't have any "territorial rights" over Oakland since it is no longer operating in the "single entity" business model. Only baseball has that and it's just because of a congressional anti-trust exemption. Chivas USA could rent Buck Shaw as far as the law is concerned and the Quakes couldn't stop it.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when wasn't MLS still single entity?

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about Inter Milan coming to the Bay Area?

4. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    v Chelsea @ Stanford - 7/21

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How much are these tickets?

6. Korsaaven

Korsaaven New Member

Jul 25, 2004
  7. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumbshit!

It's

v Club America @ Stanford on 7/19

The Chelsea game is at the Rose Bowl on 7/21.

Sorry!

8. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes are at Buck Shaw on the 8th, and the Raiders have their Raider Nation Celebration on the 8th. That means if it's happening on the 8th, it's at Candlestick or Stanford (or a doubleheader at the Shaw with the Quakes!)

9. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    Why do some people talk isht and hate on other people who happen to like and follow a higher standard of football in teams like FC Barcelona and Man U. Why do they get called euro snobs and other things? It just sounds so ignorant to me.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If those people use their partiality toward European football as a means of putting down the home-grown variety then they deserve to be called "Euro-snobs."

11. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    I think they're just insecure ignorant assholes. Insecure, because we appreciate a higher standard of football automatically they think they're being put down.

12. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merely appreciating a higher standard of football (as we can all appreciate) is different than using that to trash the game as played elsewhere. Often a reflection of one's personality rather than an accurate assessment/comparison of play quality. The "I'm cooler than you 'cuz I like ManU and you like the shitty Earthquakes" sort of argument holds no water. Sophomoric crap.

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, even I, who cares less about summer friendlies with Euro teams than anyone else here I think, thinks it's a big mistake by the Quakes FO not to have figured out a way to have one summer friendly where the opponent is a big draw. I wouldn't want more than one. A lot of care would have to be taken as to date, but we should have one. Not to, sends a bad message to players in addition to just the fan issue.

14. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    I think it's because those people see soccer as just another TV show. Those of us who go out to the park every week and cheer on our squad see it as a sport. My brother travels the world extensively in his work and sees games everywhere. His favorite club is Barca but he sees them play in person at least once or twice a year. If you regularly GO TO Barca games, then you're no Euro Snob to me.

15. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what a snob is? Look up the definition (websters has a good one) and think about how that would apply to some "fans" of European soccer and their views of the MLS.

I think ignorance is at issue here, but I commend you for trying to over come it by asking questions.

16. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh-oh. Ignorance is winning.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    snob |snäb|
    noun
    a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.
    • [with adj. ] a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people : a musical snob.
    DERIVATIVES
    snobbery |-bərē| |ˈsnɑb(ə)ri| noun ( pl. -beries)
    snobbism |-ˌbizəm| noun
    snobby |ˈsnɑbi| adjective ( -bier |ˈsnɑbiər|, -biest |ˈsnɑbi1st|).
    ORIGIN late 18th cent. (originally dialect in the sense [cobbler] ): of unknown origin; early senses conveyed a notion of ‘lower status or rank,’ later denoting a person seeking to imitate those of superior social standing or wealth. Folk etymology connects the word with Latin sine nobilitate ‘without nobility’ but the earliest recorded sense has no connection with this.

18. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webster's snob definition is far better than dictionary.com's, especially the third.

Now a simple rephrasing to make it applicable to this discussion:

With that definition of snob, APR should be able to understand how some Barcelona and Man U fans have earned the label Eurosnob.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well done, Mr. OffMyLine a.k.a. FUAEG! :D

20. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    I guess your ****** ass is a "EuroSnob" too, coz here you are trying to watch an InterMilan game, a european club. I'll also bet that if Barca does come out to Oakland in Aug. your bitchass and your other bitchass hater friend Albany58 will go see them. Coz both of you is full of shit.

21. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! It's turning into one of those "Buzz Up!" TMZ response boards! Like, LOL!

22. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're still struggling a bit with the definition of snob. One could certainly attend and/or be a fan of Inter, Chelsea or Barca without falling into the #2 or #3 definitions of snob.

As for my post all I was doing was clumsily giving our friend Falvo info on those upcoming games. I haven't figured out if I'm going or not. If I do go to the Barca game perhaps I'll look for you. Let me guess, you'll be wearing an authentic Barcelona jersey?

[SNOB]I'm a little reluctant to go see Inter because that last time I saw them was a Champions League game at Highbury. Great game. Sigh. A lame friendly would be such a step down.[/SNOB]

As for my bitchass hater friend Albany58, he'll have to speak for his hatin' bitchass self.

23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll just continue my bitchass hater role of providing additional definitions, thank you.

24. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    I guess we can't call them snobs if it means "an exaggerated respect." They really are much better. However, I go back to my point that if you don't buy tickets, your not a fan, just another TV viewer.

Oh, and I do believe that MLS, with its multiple owners, is now no longer a single entity but, instead, is comprised of franchises like other sports.

25. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a new SJ supporter's group starting....The Bitchass Haters:D