Any reason for us to follow the MLS or USL

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    D.C. United has released 36-year-old English midfielder Steve Guppy, who made five appearances for the club since signing in March. The English and Scottish league veteran, who appeared once for the English national team, struggled with hamstring and Achilles' injuries. He was reportedly on a $120,000 annual salary.

Buzz Lagos has announced he will step down as head coach of the USL's Minnesota Thunder following the 2005 season. Lagos has been the Thunder's only coach since co-founding the club in 1990. He celebrated the A-League title in 1999 and has reached the final on five other occasions.

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Soccer America since went from a journal newspaper to a magazine, just losing subscribers big time, I just got the following

Dear Soccer America family member,

As a subscriber of Soccer America, I believe you care deeply about the expansion and development of the "beautiful game" as a fan sport in the United States. Two institutions in the United States are designed to do just that. I'm told that I have about one minute of your time to ask for your help.

You already know Soccer America and the part it's played, bringing you inside the game in the U.S. and around the world. The other important institution is the National Soccer Hall of Fame, which helps elevate the awareness of our soccer heroes and heroines to budding fans and the media.

The Hall of Fame, located in Oneonta, NY, should be on your to-do list of vacation visits. You'll be amazed. This is the way we bring soccer into our culture as a fan sport, keep kids in the game, promote conversation around the water cooler, and drive up newspaper coverage and TV ratings.

Now here comes the shot on goal: Soccer America and the Hall of Fame have joined forces to help reach out across the nation. Too often the news media barely knows that American soccer exists and too many youth soccer players have little understanding of the world-wide game. This will make development even faster. But we need your help.

To get the message across we need to find more NEW subscribers all across the country to tell the soccer story. So Soccer America is offering new subscribers a 25% discount from our annual rate AND we'll donate $20 to the National Soccer Hall of Fame in their name. Just think: 1000 NEW subscribers means $20,000 to the Hall and each new subscriber will get Soccer America Magazine, plus SoccerAmericaDaily and the Soccer America Yellow Pages.

Here's my request:

Won't you please forward this e-mail to your soccer friends and teammates across the nation with your personal action note and recommendation? They can visit http://www.socceramerica.com/HallofFame for instant action.

Thanks for your support of soccer as a fan sport in America.

Sincerely,

CLAY BERLING
    Founder & Chairman
    Soccer America Magazine
    http://www.socceramerica.com/HallofFame

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A nice blurb on the possibility of seeing Luis Figo and some other current Real Madrid stars playing in MLS at some point. Anyone think it's no accident that MetroStars Alexi Lalas played in Figo's charity game? Grant Wahl doesn't.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    the time would be after the world cup, and by the way Rui Costa will also be a perfect fit, what's nice about the portuguese player and Scolari was very surprise and admired was the way the majority of the portuguese national team players speak english

starting in September 58,000 8 year old portuguese kids will learn english as a second language,

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    3. BY THE NUMBERS: FC Dallas' new digs

On Saturday, FC Dallas, hosting the MetroStars, will make its first appearance at its new stadium, Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.

$80 million
    Total cost of complex construction.

$55 million
    Public funds contributed to the complex.

$25 million
    Hunt Sports Group's contribution.

$25 million
    Amount Pizza Hut is paying Hunt Sports Group and FC Dallas over 20 years for naming rights.

$100,000
    Annual rent to be paid to city of Frisco by the FC Dallas for use of Pizza Hut Park. The Hunt Sports Group will also perform all maintenance at the facility.

$13.35
    Average ticket price of FC Dallas games.

Miles Pizza Hut Park is from downtown Dallas.

Number of 500-square-foot suites in stadium.

Stadium capacity.

1.4 million
    Spectators and participants expected to visit the facility annually.

Acre size of the Pizza Hut Park facility.

Number of regulation-sized, tournament-grade soccer fields.

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    no surprise, I been saying all along that Bob Bradley lost control of this team going on 1 1/2 year , no coach like him would survive 6 months in the portuguese league because no team would put up with mediocore results, guest what? it happen again for the Open Cup,
    Rochester of the USL a II division team 3-Metrostars-1
    if I was Lallas I would have this guy pick up his bag and keep him as far as possible from the Meadowlands

http://metrostars.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/events/us_open/2005/scoreboard/

No I will have to find out if Lallas got the ball's to fire this guy,

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Last night at Lusitano stadium w/ 4k spectators the Revs lost 2-3 in overtime to the C. Fire in the 4th round match of the US Open Cup.
    The Revs fielded a second string team as compared w/ the Fire who
    's on track to a 4th Open cup title.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm just very disappointed

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    great news finally we get the stadium, Metrostars to take full burden, rite on our background

MetroStars will accept entire financial burden to build stadium, By Matthew Futterman (Star-Ledger, Aug. 4)
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112313704142030.xml&coll=1

news from Soccer america

1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"I'm going to Inter to see if they will let me play a bit of soccer. I will have time to bid farewell to the fans who are the ones who deserve it more than anyone else. On Saturday I will give a news conference to say goodbye to them as I won't have the chance to do that by playing in front of them."
    -- Real Madrid's Portuguese midfielder Luis Figo, 32, who is reportedly set to sign with Italy's Inter Milan for an annual salary of $4.4 million. (Reuters)

2. WINNERS & LOSERS: Young Liberian hits four against Colorado; Metros ousted from Open Cup

Winners:

MELVIN TARLEY scored all four goals for USL1 team Minnesota Thunder in its 4-1 fourth-round U.S. Open Cup win over MLS's Colorado Rapids. Tarley, a 22-year-old Liberian in his third season with the Thunder, had also scored against MLS's Real Salt Lake in the Thunder's 6-4 third-round win.

The CHICAGO FIRE kept alive its quest to win a fourth U.S. Open Cup -- it won titles in 1998, 2000 and 2003 - thanks to a 3-2 win over the New England Revolution on two goals by Costa Rican Andy Herron. LOS ANGELES won its fourth clash with city rival Chivas USA, 5-2. KANSAS CITY trounced PDL's Des Moines Menace, 6-1. SAN JOSE beat USL1's Portland, 2-0. Christian Gomez scored twice while Freddy Adu scored and assisted in D.C. UNITED's 3-1 win over USL1's Richmond Kickers.

Losers:

Underscoring how formidable the challenge will be for GM Alexi Lalas to turn the METROSTARS into a "SuperClub" was their 3-1 U.S. Open Cup loss Wednesday to the USL1's Rochester Rhinos.

COLUMBUS' Danny Szetela and Frankie Hejduk each received red cards in overtime for fouling Arturo Alvarez of Dallas, which won the U.S. Open Cup match, 3-1, with overtime goals from Abe Thompson and Eddie Johnson.

3. MLS CONFIDENTIAL: Short prep for USA; Dallas restroom race

By Ridge Mahoney, Senior Editor
    Soccer America Magazine

FRIENDLY DATE: Because the Aug. 17 qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago falls on a FIFA friendly international date, not one set aside for competitive matches, U.S. coach Bruce Arena won't have his players until two or three days prior to the T&T game.

FIFA rules mandate a 48-hour window prior to matches played on friendly dates. On dates designated for competitive matches, teams can require players to report four or five days in advance. The same rules will apply to those American players based in Europe, and many of them will be in action the weekend of Aug. 13-14 for their club teams.

Only players from the Rapids and Revs, which meet on that same date at Invesco Field, might miss MLS action to play for the national team. One of them, Pablo Mastroeni, is injured and won't be called up anyway. Arena will have to make decisions regarding Steve Ralston and Pat Noonan of the Revs, who were injured during the Gold Cup and didn't play Wednesday night in an 3-2 Open Cup loss to the Fire.

The Metros and Crew play on Sunday, Aug. 14, which is when players will report to prepare for the T&T game. The other 10 teams play on Saturday, including what might be an MLS Cup 2005 preview when New England plays FC Dallas at Pizza Hut Park.

LAMAR ON HAND: Speaking of Pizza Hut Park, Lamar Hunt is spending most of the week on the site overseeing final, frantic preparations for the grand opener against the Metros Saturday.

Well, of course, the opener won't be as grand as Hunt had hoped, since construction isn't complete and the capacity will be limited to 15,000 instead of its projected figure of 21,193. However, all the seating areas are completed, but the supporting amenities -- concessions, restrooms, etc. -- won't be ready in time.

''Usually, when you open a stadium and you have to limit the attendance, it's because the seats aren't ready,'' said Hunt on Wednesday. ''In this case, all the seats are in, but it's the other things that we have to finish before we can handle a full stadium.''

Hunt admits the prospect of a new MLS stadium set among a spread of soccer fields and a lovely park setting has him excited, but on Saturday his focus will be on the practical. ''I'll be thinking of what we'll have to do if the ticket windows aren't ready and the restrooms aren't working right,'' he says. ''We've made a real big deal about this and we'll have a lot of people here to see it, so we have to make sure we get it right, even if everybody knows it's not the finished product.''

STAR SEARCH: Under a proposed plan, no team would contribute more than two players to the squad of MLS all-stars that will take on Real Madrid at the Bernabeu Stadium Aug. 23.

The early favorite to coach the team is ....

Read all of MLS Confidential at:
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562136151

4. FOR THE RECORD: U.S. Open Cup

U.S. OPEN CUP: Fourth-round game summaries; quarterfinal matchups
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562136150

* BEST OF THE WEB: MetroStars will accept entire financial burden to build stadium

"The MetroStars will build a $100 million soccer stadium in Harrison on their own, team officials and acting Gov. Richard Codey will announce today.

"In a dramatic turnaround that ends nearly eight months of negotiations for a proposed partnership with the state, the team's parent company, Anschutz Entertainment Group, has decided to pursue a strategy it has been trying to avoid for several years.

"MetroStars executives have lobbied unsuccessfully for tens of millions of dollars in public funding for the project since 2001. Now, with the project years behind schedule ..."

MetroStars will accept entire financial burden to build stadium, By Matthew Futterman (Star-Ledger, Aug. 4)
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112313704142030.xml&coll=1

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"By European standards, the Bundesliga plays attacking soccer."
    -- Franz Beckenbauer, on the eve of the German league kickoff. (Kicker)

"We are in negotiations with the mayors of Miami and Beijing to create two theme parks."
    -- Real Madrid president Florentino Perez reveals the Spanish club's latest ambitions. Real reportedly earned $25 million from its 18-tour of the USA and Asia this summer. (Reuters)

"I'm very pleased that Danny's back with our club. He was a strong player when he was here two and three years ago and was a big part of our run to the 2002 MLS Cup final. His experience in Mexico's top league has only made him a better player."
    -- New England coach Steve Nicol on Texas product Daniel Hernandez, 29, the defensive midfielder who played the past two years for Mexican First Division club Necaxa.

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  16. Port_sport

Port_sport New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Montreal
    i dont follow the usl, but it is a nice feeling to know we have a team in montreal. In laval, theres this place called sportexpo, where a whole bunch of nationalities come to play, i played there last year on a winter team...its pretty cool.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Metrostars at Dallas at 8:30pm, inauguration of the new Pizza Hut stadium

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Seems to work for me, can anybody else check it?

20. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the links is broken

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    still broken :)

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    just turn to fox soccer channel - they are having the final of the W League, I believe II division and NJ is winning 3-0 with 7 minutes to go, they having a sellout standing crowd

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    try to search by typing it. Sorry . I tried. It still works for me. I'm :confused:

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    try to turn to fox soccer channel