Any reason for us to follow the MLS or USL

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    LOL Classic. :)

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    his a quick learner, he only spend 3 days in Portugal :D

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    My wife is always on my case b/c I never get rid of mine no matter how bad they look.

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    its for good luck :eek:

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Thanks . I'll use that line from now on. :D

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not by birth anyway.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we have to do something about that, I have to talk to my friend A Lalas :cool:

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    . BY THE NUMBERS: MLS Attendance

MLS Average home attendance
    23,570 Los Angeles
    20,783 Real Salt Lake
    18,168 Chicago
    16,351 D.C. United
    15,343 Metrostars
    13,021 New England
    12,982 Colorado
    11,743 Chivas USA
    11,691 Columbus
    10,777 San Jose
    10,129 Kansas City
    9,031 FC Dallas

14,675: Leaguewide

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    WEDNESDAY, July 27

MLS DIRECT KICK PACKAGE
    NEW ENGLAND-LOS ANGELES (live) 7:30 pm.

GOL TV
    International Friendly CHICAGO FIRE-AC MILAN (live), 9 pm.
    THURSDAY, July 28

ESPN2
    International Friendly D.C. UNITED-CHELSEA (live), 8 pm.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Titles won by national team coach Bruce Arena

Major titles won by Bruce Arena during his coaching career:

2005 Gold Cup (USA)
    2002 Gold Cup (USA)
    1998 Interamerican Cup (D.C. United)
    1998 CONCACAF Champions Cup (D.C. United)
    1997 MLS (D.C. United)
    1996 MLS (D.C. United)
    1996 U.S. Open Cup (D.C. United)
    1994 NCAA Division I (University of Virginia)
    1993 NCAA Division I (University of Virginia)
    1992 NCAA Division I (University of Virginia)
    1991 NCAA Division I (University of Virginia)
    1989* NCAA Division I (University of Virginia)

* Title shared with Santa Clara University

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I have sister....a bit used....On her fourth marriage.... not tooo pretty...(not too smart either)....just mention her. :) :)

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Division 1 Average Attendance
    1 Montreal 11,493
    2 Rochester 9,299
    3 Portland 5,271
    4 Puerto Rico 5,043
    5 Vancouver 4,855
    6 Charleton 3,647
    7 Mivnnesota 2,901
    8 Toronto 2,896
    9 Richmond 2,738
    10 Seattle 2,622
    10 Atlanta 1,874
    11 Virginia Beech 1,037http://home.comcast.net/~timberlog/Attendance2005.html

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    decent #'s for the top3.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    surprise at Puerto Rico

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Maybe soccer will surpass baseball in terms of popularity in the island fairly soon.

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    By the way I just finished watching the Fire vs Milan game. The MLS team played outstanding soccer, and was clearly the best team on the pitch. The final result is misleading.

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    He [Phil Anschutz] would prefer to hold onto this franchise. We just happened to find really good partners. . . . If not for the depth, and in particular the commitment, that this group has made toward a soccer-specific stadium, we would not sell this franchise."
    -- AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke on the sale of D.C. United for $26 million to a group of investors including Willi Lauterbach, a German-born real estate investor who resides in Northern Virginia, and Tim Kissler, a former executive with Washington developer John Akridge Co. The group is led by United president Kevin Payne. (Washington Post)

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The Westen Mass Pioneers USL div 2 currently in first place
    http://www.masslive.com/pioneers/
    Also, the Lady Pioneers were defeated in the first round of the play-offs for the W-leagues.

23. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    philly does have alot of portuguese

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"I don't think they underestimated the MLS guys. It is more a case of not knowing. The English don't really know very much about the American players or MLS. I think the knowledge and awareness is growing now."
    -- Fulham's American forward Brian McBride on his team's 4-1 loss to the MLS All-Stars.

"Personal reasons. I can't comment any more than that."
    -- FC Dallas and MLS All-Star coach Colin Clarke on why Dallas striker Carlos Ruiz was a no-show for the MLS All-Star Game. (mlsnet.com)

2. WINNERS & LOSERS: All-Star replacement Jeff Cunningham shines against Fulham

Winners:

JEFF CUNNINGHAM is MLS's leading scorer, but has failed to get a call into national team camp from Coach Bruce Arena and was a coach's selection to the MLS All-Star Game only because of an injury to Eddie Johnson. On Saturday, as a late second-half sub, he scored twice in five minutes to cap off the MLS All-Stars' rout of English Premier League club Fulham. The Colorado striker's second goal came after he dribbled from the halfway line before slotting home from the edge of the penalty area.

The DALLAS TEXANS RED were the only multiple champion at the 2005 U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships, winning the U-18 and U-17 boys titles with 3-0 victories. The Texans Red U-19 girls fell to the STARS OF MASSACHUSETTS in a shootout. New Jersey club PDA had four teams -- three girls and one boys -- reach the finals, where they all lost. ARSENAL FC (U-16 boys) and ECLIPSE SELECT (U-17 girls) were the only repeat champions.

CLUB AMERICA launched its Mexican league title defense with a 3-1 win, on goals by Claudio Lopez, Cuauhtemoc Blanco and Reinaldo Navia, over Tigres. CRUZ AZUL, whose coach, Argentine Ruben Omar Romano, remains missing after being kidnapped July 19, beat Morelia, 2-1, on two goals by Gerardo Torrado, who returned to the Mexican league after five seasons in Spain. PACHUCA beat Monterrey, 2-1, thanks to a goal scored by JUAN CARLOS CACHO with a shot from his own half.

Losers:

BOCA JUNIORS has received a three-game Libertadores Cup home ban because of a crowd riot that forced the abandonment of its second-leg quarterfinal game against Chivas Guadalajara in June. The South America confederation also fined the Argentine club $20,000, banned striker Martin Palermo for three matches and fined Coach Jorge Benitez, who resigned the day after the game because TV cameras caught him spitting at Guadalajara striker Adolfo Bautista, $10,000 and banned him four games.

The UNVEILING OF BERN'S STADE DE SUISSE was marred when a hot-air balloon, part of the opening ceremonies, flew off its mooring and crashed into the roof of a nearby car dealership with the trapeze artist, who suffered serious injuries, still attached.

GORDON STRACHAN's stint as Glasgow Celtic manager has started with a 4-4 at Motherwell in their Scottish Premier League opener three days after suffering a 5-0 first-leg loss to Slovakia's Artmedia Petrzalka in a Champions League qualifier. The second leg takes place Tuesday.