Any Other Defense Trainers?

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by Pal11, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Pal11

Pal11 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Vermont
    Since I'm new to this board, I was just wondering if anyone else around here has taken on the somewhat masochistic task of training defense? I'm planning on sticking with it for a while in order to take advantage of the money that comes from the extra training slots, even though it's hurting my competitiveness this season. Is anyone else using this strategy?

2. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Pal, your team's lack of competitiveness isn't due to defensive training. It's due to the fact that the other managers in your series are so much better than you are. ;)

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I trained it my first couple of seasons, I hated the formation options so I cut it short after making some money and was left with a couple excellent defenders...

I had a hard time remaining in d5 training defense, probably would have worked better to start in d6 with defending training...

what formation do you use??

4. Pal11

Pal11 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Vermont
    I've been going with primarily a 5-4-1 since I acquired a pretty good winger earlier this season. I'll also break out a 5-3-2 with CA if I really don't have a chance. I started out using a 4-4-2, but I decided it was more worthwhile monetarily to get that 10th training spot.

5. Pal11

Pal11 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Vermont
    LOL! You better watch out or I'll use my yawn-inducing press against you! :p

6. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Going the defense route as well but I also just started and has only been 6 weeks. Spent the first 3 getting stamina up so it's going slow.

7. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO

All series-related kidding aside, and with the caveat that I'm not a defensive trainer, I would think that the 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 is the way to go instead of the 4-4-2. It might make it difficult to win in the short term, but in the long term you'll have more profits, which will help to upgrade you mid and offense to make it easier to win with a 5-4-1 in series matches. AFAIK, most posters on BS.com seem to be IMers, with a strong contingent of keeper trainers (yours truly included--and I miss Alan Lair already) and a smattering of winger trainers. On the HT conferences there have been periodic threads devoted to how difficult it is to win at a high level while training defense (esp. given the conviction that mid and offense are more heavily weighted than defense), but I'm not really qualified to comment on the veracity of these. Anyway, I doubt most teams will train the same thing forever (I plan to switch in the next few seasons), so by the time you get ready to move up to D.IV and III that might not be an issue. And in the short term, having 5 full training slots makes defensive training a very profitable venture. [/ramble]

8. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I train PM, but I'm looking to start training defense in a season or two.

9. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Any particular reasons for the change?

10. Kid101

Kid101 New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    There was a post on HT about a team in Canada in a higher division that trains defense and counter attacks, there's several game links where he beat his opponents despite losing possesion.
    I'll see if I can find it.

Anyways, if you need wingers just gimme a call.

11. Kid101

Kid101 New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    All day I dream about soccer (70695)
    (11021071)
    (11021086)
    (22530711)
    (22530713)
    (22530719

12. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I want to build a well-rounded team by training almost all of my players. I figure that if I rotate training PM, defense, and scoring (probably 4 years of each), I can build myself a good team and only have to buy keepers and wingers.

Once I reach the higher levels, though, I'd probably have to stick to training one thing for longer periods of time so that I could develop high-level players and just use trainee sales to support my team so that I can buy other top-notch players.

13. Pal11

Pal11 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Vermont
    Another advantage (if you can call it that) of a 5-x-x lineup is that you only have to upgrade 6 other positions. You can put more money into fewer players to improve your team than say, scoring trainers (who have to upgrade 8). Of course, a 3-4-3 is a lot better than a 5-x-x, but the money makes up for the tactical disadvantage IMO.

14. Pal11

Pal11 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Vermont
    There are quite a few teams I've come across in the Defense Fed. that rely on the CA when they can't win possession. I'm planning on building my team around the CA in the future -- at least after my first batch of trainees turns over.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    My friend is a defense trainer, but I'd hate to call him out on here and embarass him. :D

It seems to be an art of patience, but soon enough no one will score on him.

16. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My league match last week was against a defense trainer. I actually won posession 51% to 49%, but I created exactly ZERO scoring chances.

17. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Defense trainer here myself. The way I figure it is that from what I understand everything in Hattrick goes in cycles. Right now PM is the hot thing - eventually they will tweak the program and something else will be the rage - hoping its defense and I get a jump on everyone.

18. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Wouldn't be too sure about that. A couple of seasons ago I ended #1 in the IV.25. I had a 3x formidable (old) defence, whereas the #2 had a 3x divine (old) defence. We both had the same amount of goals against.