Any iFollow subscriber early impressions?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Ed Ennui, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I decided not to pull the trigger since you only get access to one club's games for $140, and they don't offer monthly passes. That is a really bad value proposition compared to the streaming services offered by US leagues for years now, where a similar price gets you access to all games from all teams (except national TV games of course).

Why is Europe so far behind on this?

2. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    140 for one team seems a bit ridiculous IMO

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm not sure "behind" is a good way to describe what's going on with the League streaming plans. The idea of individual clubs offering all matches (minus already available intl tv games) directly to supporters is almost unheard of in the US for major leagues.

I also don't like that there's no monthly payment plan, since $140 is a decent chunk of money to pay up front. But there will probably be about 40 matches on my club's streaming site this season, which works out to about $3.50 per match. That's not outrageous for an overseas fan who wants access to their team. NFL Sunday Ticket costs $70 -- and yes, you get all out of market games for that price, great -- but if you're only subscribing for your team then that's $4.30 per game (not even factoring in national games you would get for free).

4. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw individual games available at $7 per game.

5. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo daniloni,

I feel we always post on the same threads. I live in Santa Barbara. My gf is sick of my incessant football talk. Let's talk football. How though? Haha

6. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    QPR Kevin H repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the New York City area we used to get one afternoon game each on CBS and Fox, but now we get a doubleheader on one of them for a total of three afternoon games and six total games per week. That's 102 games, and you can add in Thanksgiving day games and late season Saturday games. Taking out the Giants and Jets games, about a third of the other 224 games are on TV. If you're deciding if you want NFL Sunday Ticket, you can look at how many night games your favorite team has, if your favorite team is playing the local team in your area, and if your favorite team is likely to be on TV in your area because they're playing a popular team like Dallas or New England.

8. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bought a game pass for Reading-Villa. Video quality is excellent (up to 4500 kbps on an iPad). You can also lower bandwidth if you want to conserve bandwidth on a mobile device (options to manually put video quality at 240, 400, 800, 1600, and 3000 kbps). No commentary for the game I'm watching and no scoreboard or clock. One thing I don't like is that you can't watch via the browser on an iPad, and there's no general ifollow app, so you have to download the club's app. If you're just watching random games throughout the season (rather than following one club), you have to download the apps of various teams. I guess you can just delete the app after the game and redownload when necessary, but still annoying.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Just found this thread. Leeds opted out of iFollow and have their own LUTV production which has been horrible. You can buy individual matches for $7 and fortunately, most of their matches have been available on TV or ESPN3 thus far.

10. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Really believe the EFL should have offered a free game at the begining of the season, so that we could see how the product looks and plays on different platforms before we decide to purchase. $140 is too big an investment for me to be going in almost blind.

I tried to purchase the AFC Wimbledon game last weekend, but could not find how to buy just the one game. My other team, Fulham, have opted out, and offer some games at a higher cost than regular iFollow.

11. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody stick with this? How did it turn out?