Any idea is Beckham-Chelsea will be on TV in Canada?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TorFC-TML, Jul 12, 2007.

1. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    So anyone know if the LA Beckhams-Chelsea game will be on TV here?

ESPN is going all out on the presentation. 20+ cameras, HD, the works! I would really hope TSN (or anybody else) picks this game up.

I dont even care too much about Beckham so much as I'd love to see a game between Chelsea and an MLS side.

2. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If it is ESPN then TSN would be showing it up here (if they are at all)...

Cheers!

3. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya, that doesn't seem likely does it. Too bad though. I'd love to have seen it.

B

4. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match is on ESPN here in the US

5. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Cool thanks.:rolleyes:

6. Atomic Moog

Atomic Moog New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would hope that the MLS side would kick Chelsea's ass. :D

Even though that wouldn't happen.

7. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might. It will be their first time playing together in a few months so I think it iwll be closer than most expect. When Celtic came to the US last year and were facing DC and the Revs they looked horrible, but of course they bounced back and dominated the SPL again.

8. Bermygoon

Bermygoon New Member

May 11, 2007
    Comparing Celtic to Chelsea is a HUGE stretch. If chelsea doesn't embarrass LA then they are holding back big time which I would expect.

Chelsea won't win the game by more than 2 goals to be polite, might even give LA a tie. The thing is if this game meant anything to Chelsea the scoreline would be ugly.

9. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that much of a stretch, especially when you consider Celtic's record in the Champions League. They lost a thriller to Man Utd on a dubious PK, beat Man Utd at home, beat a strong Benfica side 3-0, drew with winners Milan at home, and lost to Milan in extra time at San siro 1-0 even though Celtic had some strong claims for penalties in the first half. And I really am writing this form an unbiased perspective, go ahead and look at the match reports.

Now I'm not naive enough to say Celtic is the same quality as Chavski, but my main point was that big teams often struggle in the preaseason, especially when its your first match playing together. They lost to the MLS All-Stars last year keep in mind.

10. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Not necessarily. TSN are not ESPN's affiliate in Canada. Sportsnet and The Score can show ESPN programming if they want (for example Sunday Night Baseball on Sportsnet)

11. murderbets

murderbets New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Toronto proper 416
    It might be on TLN

12. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    Check here the day of the match:
    http://www.myp2p.eu/

13. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. ATPDC

ATPDC Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Manhattan
    Wow am I ignorant. I always assumed that Canadians picked up all American programming...NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, CNN, etc. Obviously I realized that you had your own networks but I thought that your cable/satellite providers would also provide US channels. Any reason why they don't?

15. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Blame the CRTC and their s**tty CanCon regulations for that.

For those who don't know, the CRTC is our answer to the FCC.

16. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Actually we do get NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN and many others.

ESPN however, we do not get. :mad:

17. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um ESPN is the biggest joke of a network I can't stand it. Be glad you don't have to sit through that crap. I watch it because it's a necessary evil and there's no good alternatives but it honestly has gone way downhill the past few years. If you rant to read my rants on the network go to the Arsenal board.

18. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    TSN is just as bad. All TSN talks about is hockey. Even now in July with the biggest single sport event happening in Canada, the biggest stories are allways hockey. TSN will spend half the telecast talking hockey, then show a couple baseball highlights and some CFL highlights and completely ignore the u-20 tourney.

19. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    ESPN is a part owner of TSN, so perhaps affiliate is not exactly a correct word. After ESPN bought into TSN, TSN changed their news report show to have the same name as the ESPN's (Sportscenter - though, do we use the Canadian spelling up here [Sportscentre?] I've never paid attention). It's also why we get "The Sports Reporters" (from the ESPN Zone in NY) on Saturday mornings followed immediately by "The Sports Reporters with Dave Hodge" (the Canadian version of the same show).

Those are just a few examples. TSN is heavily influenced by ESPN.

From Wikipedia:
    Cheers!

20. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    No way! TSN renamed their show 'The Sports Reporters', but TSN stole the Sunday morning, mature sports talk show from TSN. For years it was Sportsdesk Extra with Dave Hodge, then TSN Sunday Morning (or something like that), then named after the ESPN show that copied the format. At least thats my understanding, I dont really know.

And as bad as ESPN is, and i've watched it while in the US and I wasnt impressed, it would still be great to get their coverage of MLS games at least.

21. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Our sports channel choices in Canada (unless you get digital) are:

TSN - hockey & car racing
    The Score - hockey & wrestling
    SportsNet - hockey, blue jays baseball & poker

The channel that probably shows the most soccer is TLN. Outside of the TFC games and Saturday morning EPL games there's not much. TSN shows the occasional UEFA Champions League game, but that's about it.

22. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    To be fair Sportsnet show quite a bit of soccer. They have many TFC matches, most Canada matches, and EPL matches.

23. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto

The same reason you don't have Mexico channels in the US!

24. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    AtlanticTFC fan I just want to thank you alot for this and the all star game. I was really intrested in watching the all star game and the LA-Chelsea game and now I can.
    Great work on finding the streams.