Any Galaxy Jersey Collectors Out There?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by howie1976, Dec 26, 2014.

1. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been collecting LA Galaxy jerseys over the years and it's turned into one of my favorite hobbies. The following are the highlights of my jersey collection:

1996 Short Sleeve Cobi Jones Home Jersey

1996 Long Sleeve Cobi Jones Home Jersey

1996 Short Sleeve Jara Away White Jersey

1997 Short Sleeve Away Cienfuegos Jersey

2005 Short Sleeve Donovan Away Jersey

2007 Long Sleeve Buddle Home Jersey signed

All jerseys are authentic or game worn.

I'm interested to know if there are others out there that also collect these vintage jerseys. Maybe we can sell or trade with each other.

TrickHog repped this.
  2. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some pics: image.jpg image.jpg

Geneva, socluis90, henryo and 7 others repped this.
  3. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe it's been over a week and no other jersey collectors have come forward! I know I can't be the only one that collects these symbols of our beloved LA Galaxy.

Until someone else comes forward, here's a little history of the jerseys I've posted:

I got the 1996 White Away jersey on eBay about 2 years ago. I believe the 1996 Away Jersey is the most difficult one to come by. I checked eBay every day for about 7 years until one came up. I had to look who Jara was, and yeah he was a bench player on the 1996 team. I won't tell you how much I paid for this jersey but needless to say it was a lot. When I told my wife that I was going to bid in this jersey and how much ... well if your married you can imagine how that conversation went. But I wasn't going to let this elusive jersey get away from me. For heaven sake I spent 7 years waiting for this baby to pop up!

I got the 1996 Long Sleeve Cobi Jones jersey from a guy with connections to the Galaxy. The team was going to do a special homage to the Original 1996 team but MLS nixed this event because all teams weren't doing it. They branded these jerseys "Collectors Edition."

The 1997 White Away Cienfuegos Jersey (My favorite jersey) I got on eBay about 5 or 6 years ago. I won it at auction for $87! I was thrilled because it was a 90's jersey and I loved the look of that away white with the horizontal strips. Also, being of Salvadorean descent, Cienfuegos was my favorite player. When the jersey arrived I was blown away by the quality of the jersey. It didn't look like something the team would sell but instead it looked like what the players wore. Also, on the tag it had the number "10" written in sharpie. So I thought the "10" must have been written by the Galaxy equipment guy in order to pull out the jerseys quicker from the laundry hamper. So because of this I was convinced that this was a game worn jersey. About 3 years ago my suspicions were confirmed. I went to a Galaxy event where Cienfuegos was signing autographs and I took my jersey. He not only signed my jersey but confirmed that it was indeed his game worn jersey and that the equipment guy did indeed mark the jerseys with their numbers on the tags so he can pull them out of the hamper more quickly. Needless to say this is by far my favorite jersey. There is a great story behind it which includes elements of finding a treasure, detective work and an ancestral discovery.

image.jpg

As you can see I'm a hardcore collector to say the least. Maybe the fact that no one else has come forward is a sign that I'm the only Galaxy Jersey nut out here!

Geneva, henryo, shelbo and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Eyenigma

Eyenigma Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice collection! I have a few, but I rotate old ones on eBay with new ones as they become available. I have had many (if not all) in your collection at some point.

5. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's currently in your collection?

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too lazy to find them and post pictures.

I have a '97 jersey, signed on the back by 4 players… A gift from the wife before I went to my first game. (In '96 I was in my first year of Grad school and had no money for tix. By '97 I had a part-time job and could spring for the occasional game….)

Additionally:

'03 - White Nike jersey

'06 - Long sleeve Gold with slash Adidas jersey

'09 - Blue road jersey

'12 - White home jersey

And will probably buy a '15 new road jersey if I like the style.

:)

7. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a nice collection. Would love to see pictures when you have time!

8. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know if anyone is interested in trading jerseys but I'm interested in authentic jerseys with players names, preferably from the 90's. But I'm also looking for this Beckham one:
    image.jpg
    I have these two for your trade consideration:
    image.jpg image.jpg
    They are both authentic and signed by Buddle and Donovan. They are both size Large. The Buddle is a long sleeve Home 2008-2009 and the Donovan one is a 2006 World Cup U. S. Jersey with the World Cup Patch on the sleeve.

Let me know if your interested.

henryo repped this.
  9. Drew Klemp

Drew Klemp New Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hey I collect jerseys as well! Maybe we can trade/sell something! Send me an email at drewklemp@gmail.com

10. Striker6

Striker6 New Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Howie are you still on this thread?

11. GalaxyGuardian

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm trying to raise some money for Christmas and the holiday season, so I'm selling some jerseys from my collection. Two of which I'd rather fall into the hands of fellow Galaxy fans:

--The Black/Really Dark Blue and Gold Third jersey introduced in 2011

--The ultra rare alternate jersey from 2006 that I think was only worn in one match (that hideous first loss against Chivas USA). This jersey looked like the normal gold with green sash from 2006...but with a blue sash. I seem to remember hearing that the team wanted a "Club America-esque" look against Chivas USA. I never saw this jersey worn on-field again.

I have some other jerseys up for bidding as well...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/leesplanet37/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

King Koopa, L.A. Native and tehphil repped this.
  12. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If the punjab one was a L or M I'd snatch it up. Do you know if the sizing runs small for the gold one like the new ones do?

I'm amassing a collection, all 2009 or newer, though. I had an '04 that got lost or stolen.:(

Just got a new authentic road jersey on Cyber Monday for less than half price! :)

13. GalaxyGuardian

Apr 13, 2007
    I think the sizing runs smaller for the black/blue/punjab, though to be fair...that might just be my growing belly trying to shift some blame.

If it helps, according to my notes the black/blue/punjab jersey is approximately 32.5 inches long (from the top-center of the neck collar to the bottom of the back of the shirt) and 23 inches wide (across the front chest).

As for the gold one...it's definitely a M. 31 inches long by 20 inches wide (same measuring system as above).

L.A. Native repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the authentic and replica "Punjab" 3rd (black with gold piping) shirt is Adidas Climacool style, which is the more relaxed fit than the Adizero style used for the current authentic shirts. I wear Ms for most jerseys and it actually runs a little looser than most, so you'll definitely be fine with whatever your normal size is.

L.A. Native repped this.
  15. King Koopa

King Koopa Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Is that the Formotion version?

I was lucky enough to get the long sleeve Techfit version of the black and gold, but I really want the Formotion version of it.

16. GalaxyGuardian

Apr 13, 2007
    The black and gold is not the Formotion version; just a standard replica adidas jersey. ("Replica" as in not the ones players wear...but it is a genuine adidas jersey.)

King Koopa repped this.
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, ok. Totally know what you mean. Easily one of the best, if not the best jersey we've had.

GalaxyGuardian repped this.
  18. GalaxyGuardian

Apr 13, 2007
    One of my favorites as well. I've always wanted to pick up the full-on authentic version...I'd even lose the appropriate amount of weight just to wear it!

TrickHog and King Koopa repped this.
  19. Marv23

Marv23 New Member

gaLAxy
    Mexico
    Sep 15, 2018
    Hey guys how's it going if anyone is still on this. I'm looking to expand my collection of gaLAxy jerseys if you guys are willing to sell or trade it would be highly appreciated. The last years I been in the hunt for all the kits. It's a fun journey so far but you can only get so far but finding this thread was inspiring and motivating to know that their are collectors like me that cheer and love the LA GALAXY it's amazing

20. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    I have so many I’ve lost track

Gold Nike Jersey
    Several Beckham Jerseys
    Blank long sleeved navy Herbalife jersey
    Blank navy and gold galaxy 3rd kit
    Game used de la Garza jersey
    Game used sturgis jersey
    Game used Miglioranzi jersey
    Game used Ruiz jersey
    Game used

Don’t know specific years though

MPNumber9 and rokstedy repped this.
  21. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes you can find gems on eBay. I found a replica 2010-11 jersey, no name on back and won the bid.

22. Corey Abernathy

Corey Abernathy New Member

Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 28, 2019
  23. Corey Abernathy

Corey Abernathy New Member

Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 28, 2019
    Would you be willing to sell any of them?

24. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry it’s taken me over a year to respond but I’ve been away from the forum for too long. But to finally answer your question, I don’t have any available for sale at the moment.

TrickHog repped this.