Any comic book/graphic novel fans?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Know, Dec 26, 2005.

1. bioskope

bioskope Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I do have a huge collection but only get to read it like every now and then as novels seem to take up more time. I recently finished up the entire Civil War arc ( I know dont say it!!!!) and I have mixed feelings about it.

2. bioskope

bioskope Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I recommend Superman & Batman : World's Greatest then

3. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I just picked up a huge stack of things to read for the next month or so

I got

Watchmen
    Arkham Asylum
    100 Bullets #3
    Dark Victory
    Batman: Black and White

and the new X-Files comic.

Looking forward to reading them.

Anyone got any other Batman suggestions besides the obvious Year Ones and the like?

4. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Paul Pope's Batman: Year 100. One of my absolute favorites.

But anything Paul Pope does is magic to me.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    The Long Halloween
    The Killing Joke

6. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Got em both. Great books.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm actually a big fan of the Batman Adventures and the various continuations of that series, which are based off the Batman: The Animated Series TV show instead of the normal Batman universe. They should be available in collected book format. A great place to start is the graphic novel "Mad Love".

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That is pretty great. Gooner, you should check it out.

Some of the Batman Elseworld's stuff is good. Gotham by Gaslight since it's drawn by Mignola is one I really like.

And for page creation/layout and use of colors Greg Rucka's run on Detective Comics is very interesting to say the least.

I think Grant Morrison's run on Batmanneeds to be read as a whole and I've really liked some issues but I'm going to need to sit down and read them all together once he's finished his opus.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of Batman Elsewhere graphic novels out there that are really good. The Elsewhere gn's take the character and place them in alternate realities.

I'm also a fan of the Batman/Grendel graphic novels. There have been 4 of them.

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For those following Marvel's big Secret Invasion story:

[​IMG]

11. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Has anyone read the graphic novel "L'Incal" written by Alejandro Jodorowsky and illustrated by Moebius? Is there an English translation of it?

12. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Hush, parts 1 & 2
    Dark Victory, the continuation of the Long Halloween

13. Cha Bom

Cha Bom New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm curious of the AvP comics. Unfortunately, they don't sell it anymore. I couldn't even get it from Amazon. I waited for several weeks until Amazon sent a message that they couldn't find it.

14. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    A little self-promotion....

[​IMG]DAREDEVIL NOIR #1 (of 4)
    Written by ALEXANDER IRVINE
    Pencils & Cover by TOM COKER
    Variant Cover by DENNIS CALERO
    “LIAR’S POKER,” PART 1
    The latest addition to Marvel’s red-hot Noir line offers a unique spin on the Man Without Fear! Prohibition-era Hell's Kitchen is Kingpin territory, and until now, his only problem has been the masked vigilante known as Daredevil. When gangster Orville Halloran arrives on the scene, fresh from a stretch in Sing Sing and eager to stretch his wings, Hell’s about to get hotter. For P.I. Foggy Nelson and his loyal assistant Matt Murdock, it all starts when a desperate woman comes to their office with an irresistible story about her and Halloran. To Foggy, she's a client -- to Murdock, she's enough to make Halloran Daredevil's next target. But Murdock is about to find out that half-truths are poison truths, and that the Kitchen is full of history that will put him on a collision course with both the old Kingpin and the man who wants to replace him.
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Looks like a trip to the bookstore is in order.

16. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Tell your friends!

It doesn't come out until April 1. The next novel, BUYOUT (shamelessly plugged above) is out the day before. It's going to be a busy week.

In other reading: Poe, Hawthorne, about to reread The Things They Carried for a class I'm teaching.

Edit: Oh. But those aren't comic. Wrong thread.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Wait, so Daredevil Noir doesn't come out till April? Damn I was planning on looking for it today.

I was also reading the premise for Buyout and it seems very interesting.

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out his other books, too, if you haven't yet. Great stuff.

19. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Man is that a kickass book. Got lucky and had him come talk to my students when I taught it a few years ago. (I didn't arrange it--admin did, but I happened to have class at the right place, right time!)

20. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Yeah, I had the same experience in 1995 when I was in grad school. He was very cool, and the book never gets old, man. I don't even know how many times I've taught it, but every time I look forward to it all over again.

21. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    bunga, you flatter me...

Covers for DD Noir #2:

[​IMG][​IMG]

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I admit I teared up while reading Fables #81.

[​IMG]

- Alex, I'll be checking out DDN. DD is my favorite superhero plus I like noir and most of his best stories have been done in noir settings/styles. And I always enjoy Tom Coker's art.

23. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Wow. Sounds like you were the reader we all envisioned. May I ask how many of you there are?

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would hope anyone who reads Criminal, Incognito, Sleeper, or Daredevil would check this out. Hmmm.... Those all seem to be written by Ed Brubaker.

Getting the word out that DDN is worthwhile (or any new comic for that matter) is always the toughest part.

And I don't know if DDN should be compared to the other Noir books or what the sales have been like for them. Personally, this is the only one I have been looking forward to and plan to purchase.

25. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    That Fables cover reminds me that I need to catch up that book. Also Jack of Fables, which I think is a lot of fun.