Antonio Puerta 1984-2007

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Prenn, Aug 28, 2007.

1. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R.I.P Antonio, my condolences go out to his family, Girlfriend, and teammates. Our beautiful game today mourns the loss of such a promising talent. Thank you for all the memories you created for Sevilla fans in Spain and around the world, you will never be forgotten. Que descanses en paz mi amigo y con Dios ahora estas.

2. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    So rare that not he, his family or especially the Spanish National Team doctors didn't know about it? And I've got a good plot of bottom land for sale. And what would account for his being reanimated numerous times only for his ticker to fail once again?

3. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this is what happens when you have money hungry clubs in this world, Champions league, league play, world cup and domestic cups, world cup and euro qualifying, friendles, domestic cups, summer tours. Some of these players get overworked and it isn't any better now a days when you have 2 capable players on your bench ready to take your spot. Players are over worked and over pressured to perform to there best.

R.I.P. another tradegy in football.

4. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    R.I.P Antonio!!! Our prayers will with you, your wife, and unborn child.

This is a similiar case to what happend to Miklos Feher from Benfica a few yaers ago. Just collapsed and died right on the field of a heart attack.

5. cuñao

cuñao New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Very sad :(
    R.I.P Antonio Puerta

6. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RIP. Very sad. Shades of Hank Gathers. Best wishes for Puerta's GF and child.

7. team_usa

team_usa New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    NoVA
    this is very sad that a kid died on the field...but performance enhancing drugs can have this tragic effect....i know alot of you are saying it was hereditary but it is possible that he brought this upon himself. Im not sure the coroner tested his blood for any type of performance enhancers. All the facts should be weighed because if there was some type of foul play FIFA or La Liga should investigate.

8. mixtil36

mixtil36 Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Corona, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This sucks, RIP brother. I would say a prayer for you and your family tonite.

9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, most leagues dont make it mandatory to get an echocardiogram(i believe thats what its called) but many teams her in the USA are begining to have their players take one. about 99% of the time these test will show is there are problems with the heart so steps to prevent this kinda stuff can happen. I took one before i began an intense workout program as my trainer recommended it.

11. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So you see this is why Futbol is not just a game , it is life ...

12. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    R.I.P Antonio.
    :(

13. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing at this point that indicates any drugs were involved. Last night the Spanish TV was reporting medical authorities identified a generic defect that is very hard to find in normal testing. I'm confident the medical authorities took the needed samples to ensure they find the exact cause of death.

The way you worded your post you make it sound like performance enhancing drug use is a foregone conclusion. It is not.

RIP Antonio.

14. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    It is tragic news and I am just one of thousands of football fans who will probably remember that accident until the end of their lives. Like 99% of us I thought that the worst is behind Antonio and that everything was going to be right when I saw Puerta leaving field on his legs. And when I watch this again and again on Youtube, I can't believe it was going to be his last walk...

But I really believe that pregnancy of his girlfriend - despite all the cruelty of this situation - can help her to live through this. Maybe it sounds strange, but I think that she will found the power and motivation to cope with that. Their baby will need her and it can be small light at the end of the tunnel. I know that baby will not have father... but I know people who are orphans too and they are such a wonderful persons. And I hope that club, federation, other players will help Antonio's family financialy. I know it seems not to be important at this moment but it will be crucial in future.

In moments like this I feel like a part of great football family among with other fans. I'd like to believe we'll never see something like this again.

15. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    He had a rare hart condition, it's been confirmed.

16. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    R.I.P Antonio Puerta

My thoughts are with your family, the club and the fans.

YNWA

17. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
  18. BlueIsTheColour

BlueIsTheColour New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Singapore
    Antonio Puerta died persuing his passion. To him, football is his life and he would shed blood, or even life for football. Let's be proud of him.

19. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    His girlfriend was pregnant... :confused:

20. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
  21. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    So young, so much live ahead of him... May his soul rest in peace!

22. newyorkerr

newyorkerr BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 26, 2007
    Rest In Peace Antonio.

Few words though. As always after such an accident (I wouldn't go beyond that, its a tragedy for family and friends, but then 1000's die everyday from similar heart condition) we try and look how to make sure that an accidents like this wouldn't happen. I would say that with money that each big team gets nowadays, they can afford a special clinic where they will try and find this conditions when players are still alive, and not postmortem.

Few players before that were saved, one of them Kanu don't remember the others. Its a continuous effort, but ultimately it will save human life, so no money should be put before that.

23. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Rest in Peace May God Hold you Close. Sad day in Sports.

24. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    What a shame, RIP.