Antic agrees new Barca deal

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by chrisc, Apr 28, 2003.

1. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    From Planet Football:

RADOMIR ANTIC has agreed a one-year extension to his contract as coach of Barcelona.

The Serbian was appointed to the Camp Nou helm in January after Dutchman Louis van Gaal was sacked in his second spell in Catalunya.

Antic has performed a sterling job in charge, guiding the Spanish giants to the Champions League quarter finals, where they were narrowly beaten by Juventus.

He has also alleviated their relegation concerns in La Liga by lifting them seven points clear of the drop zone and to within touching distance of a European berth.

After discussions with Barca's president Enric Reyna, Antic has agreed a contract to remain as coach until June 30, 2004.

The decision to award Antic a contract must be ratified by the board of directors which will be voted in at the forthcoming club elections.

Reyna confirmed the renewal of Antic's deal was an indication of the confidence they have in the former Luton Town midfielder.

2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    They need the approval of the new board in other words hes got nothing!

3. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    By the time the elections are complete and the new board named, Antic may be the only choice. I am sure the one year extension was to ensure that we had a coach fo next year.

Of course we could always dream about Koeman or Cruyff....

Paul

4. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Koeman's contract goes until the end of next season as well..

Things that make you go ... hmmmmmm

5. Jay Clark

Jay Clark New Member

May 21, 2001
    Wrigleyville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. He's a good 'insurance policy' so to speak. And this way the new president doesn't have to go hunting for a new coach in the days leading up to Intertoto and at the same time he won't have to deal with a long-term contract and the implications ($$$) if there is a falling out. Its a smart move. Not a move that will make us jump up and down, but smart nonetheless.

6. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I think we should keep Antic one more year, then hire Koeman

7. mikeb3142

mikeb3142 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Pasadena CA
    I like this move too. Not only for the reasons stated above but also because right now it would be more difficult for us to attract a manager like Koeman. The squad is in shambles. Who knows who will be the next president and the board will be turned upside down.

I also think Koeman might want one more run with his Ajax squad after they nearly made it to the semi's of the CL.

It makes too much sense for Koeman not to come but I couldnt see it happening at this time.

8. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, a Barca president who actually thought logically and practically, using sound business and management techniques to ensure there would be at least the chance of continuity?

It shows you how bad things had gotten that even a simple act of continuity seems like a beacon.

Tony

9. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    The way you put it sounds like an impossible feat!