Another YA to MLS??

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dandal, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Eddie Gustafsson, goalkeeper currently on camp in California with the swedish NT B-selection, could be considered a YA in spite of being cap-tied for Sweden since he has dual swedish and US citizenship (I think he's on Dave's YA list). He turned down an offer to renew his contract with the norwegian premier division side Molde late last year to try and find a contract with a continental european team. His best shot was NEC Nijmegen in the dutch league, but when they fired manager Johan Neeskens they also stopped all transfers.

So Eddie is out of job at the moment. He has confirmed that his agent is in contact with several MLS clubs. He's been named as a starter in Sweden's game against Korea tonight, which might put him in some kind of shopping window for at least the westcoast MLS clubs.

Newslink.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm sure he's good enough to play in MLS but the money he's gonna likely want is more than most MLS teams are going to be willing to use on a goalkeeper.

Looking around the league, who needs a GK? I mean, Tony Meola doesn't even have a job as a starter right now because there are so many good GKs and I would think a team would dedicate money to Tony before this guy.

TO be clear, I'm not saying Tony's better. Frankly, I have no clue. What I'm saying is that in terms of cap room, Gustaffson isn't likely to find many teams willing to throw much his way.

3. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago
    While I may be wrong, I don't think the Swedish teams pay particularly well either.

Perhaps he'd like the opportunity to move 'home' for a while, showcase a little, then get back to Europe? Just a thought.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if MLS offers him a one year deal? How are the expansion teams set at GK? Chivas drafted a GK (Guzan?), so if they're high on him but don't think he can start right away, and they don't already have a first string GK on hand, this sounds perfect. Sign this guy to a one year, cap friendly deal, put Guzan in goal next year.

5. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Chivas are importing a veteran GK from Mexico. RSL traded for a backup for Countess in Jay Nolly. It might have made sense for RSL to want this guy before they wasted an allocation on Nolly, but now it seems extremely unlikely that either (or, really, any team) would want him.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Onstad (a Canadian) is the only foreign GK in MLS now. Chivas will bring in Zuniga as a veteran from Mexcio, but I'd guess that over time they'll start to go with only Americans. There's a possibility an Irish college player (O'Hara) will get a developmental contract at DC or elsewhere. But any foreign GK would take up a precious senior or youth international spot. If they're not starting, they're not playing. So teams will likely focus on using these spots on other posititions. The USL (former A-League) has a good # of GK's that aren't too bad. If he's a dual american-citizen, maybe he won't count as an international (probably won't actually).

But most teams are set at GK and unless he's willing to take a developmental contract, most MLS teams aren't going to pay him much. SJ has Onstad and Conway. Chivas has Guzan and Zuniga. Galaxy have Hartman and Cronin. Galaxy was brining in a Costa Rican backup GK but that may have fallen through. Dallas has 4 GK's. SLC has 2 23 y/o's and would likely only want a cheap veteran backup. Colorado had 3 (including Cannon). KC is moving to the east, so unless Galaxy want him, if he wants a full roster spot, he'd probably have to go that far east.

7. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    And, Onstad has a green card, so he doesn't even count against the international limit.

8. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys, he's not foreign if he has dual-citizenship.

he wouldn't count against the si or ti limits. he would be just as american to an mls roster spot as eddie pope, so i doubt that the "strength of american goalkeepers" arguement is hardly relevent here.

if he will play for the money mls offers, then he would probably be a nice fit for a team.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for this, Dandal.

Just in case people are wondering, I believe Eddie is American by virtue of being born in Philadelphia. He may also have an American parent but I don't know that for sure offhand.

Interesting news.

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    It's relevant if he expects a European salary. If he hasn't heard of a "developmental contract".

And are we sure he's technically a US citizen? Sometimes guys born abroad are eligible, but do we know the paperwork has been filed. I was probably a Swedish citizen at birth. But by not claiming it (by living in Sweden) by about 21 years old or so, I probably lost that right.

edit: Just noticed the born in Philly news. Are we sure of that? Still there could be paperwork issues.

My main point above is that teams aren't likely to use discovery options on GK's (those are limited to 3 per team each year) and the west coast teams are mostly already set at full roster GK spots.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

It's nice to receive table scraps.

12. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    We lose a player to the Irish second division, you throw a fit.

We're connected with a Swedish national (B) teamer, you bitch that he's not good enough.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

We lose Beasley to Europe, it's alright because players should go where they want. When Donovan used to shrug off Leverkusen, half of this board was ready to kidnap and expedite him to Germany.

Don't talk to me about contradictions.

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I can't be responsible for the board's irrationality, Roehl. I certainly wasn't happy to see Donovan go.

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

That much I keep track of, that's why I don't say "guys like you." But I won't be held to a higher standard than that of the other nuts on this particular board.

16. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, if that's all you're aspiring to, I'll withdraw my complaint. :)

17. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    First of all it's not "nuts" anymore, it's "sensibly challenged" thank you all the same.

Secondly...standards? Big Soccer?

Being held to standards? Big Soccer?

Ni to you sit. I say ni.

Yeah, since that post the other day I've watched The Grail & The Meaning Of Life. Snowstorms mean indoor projects and silly TV, but standards????????

Ha!