Another reason WE are right!

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Liv'poolFaninAZ, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    By WE I mean us Soccer nuts that are addicted to FSW, soon to be FSC. I tried to watch the Super bowl because I remember a time when it was a great game to watch, and I've just been reinforced as to why I love REAL football (Soccer) so much!!!

First, I could do without the half-hour music numbers before kick-off!!!! Speaking of which, does anyone have any doubt that this game is being played in America? I mean "America the beautifull" then some tribute to some retired soldiers, and a dedication to the "Stars and Stripes " or something like that. WE GET IT !!!!! WE'RE IN THE U.S.A. Start the FREAKIN GAME!!!!!!!!

Now the game itself is undeniable proof of what parity does to sports. If these are the best teams in the NFL, then I can look forward to the Arizona Cardinals playing in the Super bowl soon!!!!! This has got to be the BORINGEST game I've ever seen!!!!!!!! I remember those great 49er teams of the 80's and 90's and the Cowboys when they were good, those were definetley the best teams in the league and deserved to be in the game. If the Patriots are the new "Dynasty" then the shape of the NFL is pretty bad! The best team in the NFL wouldn't be turning over the ball and having to punt so much against an allegedly lesser team.

The game is not even to the halftime yet and I've had enough. I'd rather watch the re-run of the Arsenal-Aston Villa match!! Now THERE'S some ACTION!!!!!!!

2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the is the big finale of the NFL season, I don't mind the pomp and circumstance so much. If I were down in Jacksonville, I'd be disappointed if they didn't entertain me. Just you wait until the 9 July 2006 WC final.

Thanks to my father, I was raised a diehard Tennessee Volunteer football fan. About ten years, I started drifting away from American football and tuned onto soccer because of the '94 WC. I don't give a sh!t about football nowadays. Lasts way too long and boring as hell. Start, stop, commercial, start, stop, commercial, touchdown, no wait, take that back, flag on the play, stop, start, commercial. Too each his own I guess.

The other day, my 4-year old son was looking at a photo with several different balls related to sports. He pointed at the soccer ball and said "soccer ball". He pointed at the tennis ball and said "tennis ball". He pointed at the golf ball and said "golf ball". He pointed at the football and said "What's that?" I'm not kidding.

3. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    LOL!!!!!

My almost 3-year old, whenever I'm watching a match, says "Daddy's watching Football but here they call it Soccer" he says the same thing everytime....Cute as hell!

4. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Boyzzz Murtaugh New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Anyone who likens appreciation of one sport vs another as to being morally right or wrong needs to be lobotomised.

Or, most likely, already has been.

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you missed the second half, you really missed exciting stuff.

[result]Bad time management by the Eagles[/result]

6. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

What he said.

The last thing the sport needs is snobbery.

7. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Who said that?

8. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with the first 2 posters here - when I came to the US 20-odd years ago I became a big NFL fan. But since I've been able to watch soccer year round for the past 3 years on FSW I find it hard to sit through a 3-4 hour NFL
    game - there's just too much 'dead' time. Like Bobby said on FSWR the other nite, Arsenal - ManU left you drained. I didn't feel that way after SB39. That said, however, there's no question that SB is one of the great spectacles in sports - a 'can't miss' event.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I watched the pregame and the first few minutes of the game. Then I left to do some chores, came back an hour later and caught the last few minutes of the second quarter and then Paul McCartney. Then watched the Premiership highlights on MSG, and turned back to see the last few minutes of the Superbowl.
    It's amazing how much you can do during a "60" minute game and still not miss much.

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the league's championship game and its the biggest single annual TV event in the US. If you don't like it, don't watch. There's no right or wrong here, the Superbowl is what it is. As to the celebration of America and tributes to retired soldiers, its the NFL saying thank you to people who made it possible for one to slag off the game on internet forums. It's also a tribute to the kids we have overseas today, one of who is my brother, for which the Superbowl is a pleasant distraction and connection to home. celebrating America is part of what the Superbowl has become as well. It's practically an unofficial holiday. I'm not a big NFL fan at all, but the Superbowl is a great event just for the opportunity it provides to get together with friends and family. There's something in the day for everyone whether you like the game or not.

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

LOL. Yesterday as we were watching the Superbowl, my wife who only has played soccer and b'ball in Mexico asked me, "So. How long will the game last?" She asked me this at 6:00P.M. I answered "Well......up to 9:30PM or 10PM. Depends. "Almost 4 hours!? Well. How long is game time." "Technically. 60 minutes." "So. Where do the other 3 hours come from." "Uh...well...time outs, two minue warning, the guys getting up from the tackle, Sir Paul MacCartney doing his thang, commercials, time for commercials, etc."

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved the game. It was great stuff. I filled the in-between time by talking with friends or by skipping through it on TiVo after riding home to put the kid to sleep.

But most importantly, I don't think I'm a better person than anyone because their opinion of the game differs from mine. Sad that people have to try and justify their choices by criticizing other things, but insecurity is a tricky trait.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Some of you folks need to get over your inferiority complexes.

BTW, I just watched Sky Sports do a segment on West Ham's Hammerettes cheerleaders. They followed that with a segment on some sort of FA mascot olympics.

14. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny that people complain about all of the stuff that goes along with the Superbowl because I picture these people as being the same types that complain about not getting the hours of pre and post game coverage that go along with the English coverage of the Premier League, FA Cup, etc.

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For me, it's not the pre and post game or even the half time thats the problem. But there is so many breaks during the game that makes it unwatchable for me. I actually really liked the Alicia Keys bit and the National Anthem.

16. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Funny how it looks as though EVERYBODY missunderstood my thread! I did NOT say that we are better for liking soccer over football (American) I was just pointing out how different both games are and how after geting spoiled by finally being able to watch soccer 24-7 on FSW it's been damn near impossible for me to watch a NFL game, even if it IS the superbowl.

And nobody is going to tell me that I'm bashing America because I felt that all the tributes were too much. I'm a Desert Storm Veteran USMC WPNS co.3/3 KMCAS HI!!!!!!! I'll let other ex-military decipher that!! I can say whatever the hell I want.

As for the actual game itself let's not fool ourselves, the final score would have anyone believe that it was a good game, but it wasn't, New England put the game away and in a mistake, Philly got more points to make it close.

If you don't get my post, ask me what I mean before making your assumptions.

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    You're getting some REP boy !!!!

18. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I'm going to be making back window stickers soon that say

*FOOTBALL* but the stars will be soccer balls, the same size as the letters.

Pre-orders appreciated! :)

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DVR was made for football. You can watch a regular season game in like an hour.

20. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if we're getting cutesy, how about a sticker that says:
    I "heart" Football

where the heart is actually a soccer ball squashed into a heart shape.