Another pro/rel thread yayz!

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Black Tide, Apr 13, 2012.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't have too.

[​IMG]

They're going straight to the 8K - Phase II.

Odds are, that with the stadium they'll be drawing at that 8K and pushing it even several dates a year. Phase III is 12K, which is right on par with what SJ has been playing in as they've searched for a stadium and what SKC was using for three years (08-10). That Phase III could easily be done in the off-season, ditto Phase IV.

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really but lets not go so quickly. I know we have learned from the old NASL days but I feel that 20 teams would be best... maybe not for 5 years but somewhere within that. Perhaps 3.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as MLS continues to be diligent with their feasibility reviews, pulling a NASL should not be a problem.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose in theory, if you had 30+ teams and there was quite a range of support levels, you might get to a stage where the bigger clubs were feeling they were being held back - especially internationally - by the cap being set to a level the smaller teams could afford.

If you had 32 teams drawing from maybe 20,000 to 35,000 it's less likely to be an issue, but if crowds are ranging 40,000 down to 10,000, it might.

One option in that scenario is going to two divisions, which could be a better option than culling the smaller clubs or raising the cap to levels which sees them condemned to struggle.

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The demand is clearly there ... so why not ? especially given that the ownership groups in position t0 make the moves aren't of the NASL variety (meaning old NASL).

6. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there are teams ready to join the league that meet all the requirements that MLS is looking for? Sure. Why would MLS keep someone out of the league in those circumstances?

I think we'll see a 22-team MLS by about 2016.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly. You could potentially make the argument that dividing the pie more ways is not optimal. (The counter-argument is that the pie gets bigger.)

The biggest thing I could see is that it actually behooves a league to have more demand for franchises than there are slots. It creates the perception of scarcity and prestige (in other words, "resale value") and gives you options. If you tap out the reserve of markets, then what? Where do you go?

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree ... I think though, that you'd agree, that we aren't at that point yet.

9. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Is phase IV the final phase for an MLS club? I seem to remember there being five phases to the stadium with the last one being something along the lines of the phase III photo above. If so, it would look so much better for MLS.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What point? The point of being tapped out? No, we're not. But we're a lot closer to it than we were in 2004 and we're a lot closer to it than some people think.

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the "new" rendering for the final project. The old:
    [​IMG]

^ personally, I think that looks worse and pretty dumb on that "grand" stand side. I much prefer the new design and 500 more seats.

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

^ personally I think that's a two part answer.

Demand/want/interest .... I don't think so.

Viability ... I agree.

13. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    ITA. :thumbsup:

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interest is usually interest right up to the point where someone has to write a check.

Not everyone with the means has the stomach. Not everyone with the stomach has the means.

15. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what difference there is is in the type of muscle mass, not in fat.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine the differences are more like differences with sprinters and distance runners. (then again Bolt looks like a distance runner and is the fastest dude in the world).

17. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bruch Arena, one of the most respectable figures in US soccer has certainly no faith in college thing for soccer. If so then.. you know..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-house-visit/2012/05/14/gIQAKG40PU_blog.html
    "We’re inefficient in how we allocate resources in the academy. There’s a likely argument where you can say we have improved the ability to move kids to the age of 17 or 18. Where do they go from there? It’s a black hole. It’s insane. We should have a USL type of league [to develop players]. Right now, the kids would be better off going to college, and then we are back to the same thing again."

18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not relevant to the discussion. Stay on topic.

Also, note (from your quote): "Right now, the kids would be better off going to college"

19. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

We had talked about this player development. It's all inter-related.
    College thing is not for soccer unlike other US sports.
    The best thing is to have strong lower divisions in a structured competitive environment.

Also note: "and then we are back to the same thing(shit) again." after what you noted.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this makes sense, based on what Bruce said

Until this.

21. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Uh.. why? Bruce said "We should have a USL type of league [to develop players]"

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But...but...USL is not the League you describe, the open pyrmaid competitive whatever-you-said. USL is now, and has always been, a closed league with a serious of closed divisions.

23. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bruce pointed out college is not it, should have lower divisions.
    Making it more competitive in a structured organized system, and thus making it stronger is only better.

24. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's not what he said, but I can see why someone like you would think that's what he said

But he didn't say that. That's your opinion, one you've said 10,000 times before, but it's academically dishonest to pretend Bruce Arena agrees with you

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... because that's kept him from posting the countless other dribble he's shat all over these boards ?

Jasonma repped this.