Another One's Off The Reservation

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Smiley321, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
  2. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
  3. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    What the people here (Archer's forum) don't understand is that Bush has ruined it for Republicans for several years. We already had a bunch of Republicans voted out of the senate and congress and it's doubtful a Republican will win the Presidency.......say hello to bigger taxes and innefecient social programs. Which is ok because most of the Republicans wo were thrown out of congress weren't very good to begin with and the republican presidential nominees are nothing to get excited about.

But the Democrats are in trouble too because although the economy is good right now, there are all sorts of indicators for a big slowdown/possible recession and Hillary or Obama or whoever will get the blame (even if they don't deserve it - as Bush got the blame early in his presidency for inhereting problems that started before him).

Maybe Hillary will tackle the trade deficit which is a bigger problem than Iraq and affects way more Americans

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070601/BUSINESS/206010344/-1/news

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    First off, the fact that Bush has descended further into incompetence does not warrant simply writing off the Republicans chances at winning the White House.

Hilary is the likely candidate, and you don't think Republican operatives aren't salivating at getting after her? She's so vulnerable on so many counts.

Second, the three main Republican candidates --Giuliani, Romney, and Thompson -- are nicely positioned as "outside the Beltway" candidates. (McCain is toast). They have already done an excellent job of distancing themselves from Bush. If the main Democratic strategy is to connect them up with Bush, and the Republican candidates succeed in distancing themselves, you think that strategy is going to work??

Meanwhile, if you want to read a very interesting and thoughtful piece on the current state of the Republican party, read Jeffrey Goldberg's New Yorker piece.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/06/04/070604fa_fact_goldberg

The final paragraph jumped out at me:

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. The tooth fairy will be by later to pick up your third set of teeth.

I suggest you take a look at some recent numbers. The only reason anyone is taking Fred Thompson seriously is because the other candidates smell like an East River wharf on a hot afternoon.

As for Goldberg's prognostications, his track record would lead to bankruptcy if he was playing the horses.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    You're mixing up Jonah Goldberg (National Review) with Jeffrey Goldberg (New Yorker). Haven't read this article yet. But I do agree with you re: Jonah's prognostications.

As far Fred Thompson's "outside-of-the-beltway" position, as soon as he formally announces, that position will get demolished. Not only was he a senator (and a fairly unremarkable one at that), but he worked as a lobbyist for nearly 20 years. He is the insider's insider, and his opponents--both Democrat and Republican--will tear him to shreds over that.

And as far as the economy goes, well, the GDP had been doing pretty well up until this last quarter. Although it may recover in time for November, if it doesn't, no Republican will win. And Microwave, as we've discussed before, the notion that Democrats always kill economies and Republicans always nurture them simply doesn't stand up in the face of historical evidence. Nobody pines for the Nixon or Bush I economies.

7. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Did you read my post? Nowhere did I say Republicans nurture the economy and that Democrats ruin it. I said there are indicators that predict a slowdown and the next President will get the blame - I even added that it will be undeserved.

Reading. Is. Funda. Mental.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Sorry--busy day here at the office. I just assumed that you were blaming Democrats for something. :D

9. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I don't hate democrats. I'll likely vote Democrat (and I didn't vote for Bush in 2000 or 2004) for the next president. I hate the far left though. I'm talking the Gore Vidal, Michael Moore, Noam Chomsky, Rosie Odonnell type.

10. Lulu 69

Lulu 69 New Member

May 7, 2007

homophobic polack. check the kinsey scale mr catholic no one is straight. according to kinsey, freud and anyone who has ever studied human sexuality we are all lesbians or homos it's a scientific fact that you are 85% queer so go ahead and hate rosie all u want but u r ignorant polack.

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Re: Moore: I enjoyed Roger & Me in spite of his flexibility with the facts (I learned about this much later). His more recent movies have moments of genuine comedy and pathos, but Rush Limbaugh can probably crack a good joke, too. In general, I have serious problems with his reflexive politics, vanity, and willingness to doctor evidence, but the left wing is nuts if it cedes the low road to the right wing. Until the AM dial balances out, Moore belongs in our stable.

Re: Chomsky. Manufacturing Consent was a brilliant study of media bias; everything else is a turgid, reflexive mess. He's a brilliant--genius, even--linguist, but he also has a reputation for being a tyrant in the classroom and for having little tolerance for dissent. I stopped reading him in college. His writing on Yugoslavia appalls me.

As far as Vidal goes, put it this way: I like Norman Mailer.

The flap about O'Donnel revealed to me that Republican men watch The View. Ha ha ha! Sister, they're not hot flashes--they're power surges!

12. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Q: What does a lesbian bring on her second date?

A: A U-Haul!

13. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

The world would be better off without Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, that guy on the radio is who is a right wing nut who yells at everyone (?) but it would also be better off without Michael Moore and Noam Chomsky.

I enjoyed watching Ben Affleck (liberal) and PJ O'Rourke (conservative) discuss things on Bill Maher last week (Maher is an ass). I think we need more open minded and intelligent people like Affleck and O'Rourke and less of the Limaughs and Moore's.

As for Rosie, I don't watch the view but AOL (my homepage that I havn't changed since I got the computer) has clips on it's front page of her claims that 9/11 was staged by the American government and all her conspiracy crap.

14. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I'm with Lulu, shut up you ignorant polack

Ann Coulter is 10x the intellect of Moore and most liberals, and she's funnier, too.

15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Ah, yes, confusion reigns in your brain.

The Goldberg thing was already taken care of.

See, here's the difference between you and me. When I look at an issue -- say the Republican candidates distancing themselves from Bush -- I see the possibility of them doing it, though not necessarily the certainty of them doing it. And I see the possibility that if they succeed, that the Democrats are much worse off.

In stark contrast, you, in your unthinking stupid idiotic moronic lefty delusional brain, effectively assert that they WILL fail in doing this.

Then again, your inability to distinguish between "hoping" and "asserting" conforms nicely to your general inability to make any useful distinctions of any kind....which stems, inevitably, from an insufficient number of chemically active neurons in your cranium.

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Ben AFFLECK? You're joking right?

Of course, we can always throw Coulter and Limbaugh into a camp, yes? That would make the world better off, yes?

I've got a concept for you: free speech. That means, everybody, even if we don't particularly care for Limbaugh or Coulter (or Moore or Chomsky) we celebrate their right to utter what they want and find an audience.

Frankly, I LOVE the idea of a Michael Moore. I would NEVER wish that he would go away. He gives liberalism a really bad face (and a really fat body) and I think it is great that Hollywood loves him. Nothing like seeing true colors.

17. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Karl what are you talking about? No one said anything about limiting anyone's free speech.

18. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smiley.......you kiddin' right.......explain why then she used to be hardcore liberal, and that this whole thing of hers is a complete act. You catch more flies, by being a filthy bitch

19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    She used to be a hardcore liberal? I don't normally ask for evidence from people, but this claim is interesting. Where does that come from?

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yeah, that narrows it down. :D

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *blink blink blink*

*rubs eyes*

*blink blink*

Still there... dang.

22. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

I've heard him talk about politics several times and he's not bad at all. So you guys don't like him simply because he's a democrat? By the way, on Maher's show he spend alot of time bashing the Democrats too.

23. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    No, it's because he's a democrat and a bad actor.

24. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from what I've seen/heard he is neither intelligent nor open minded.

Admittedly I stopped paying attention to him 5+ years ago, so maybe he's moreso now.

25. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, hardcore might have been a bad choice of words....but she used to be a Libertarian moderate and then got involved in the Paula Jones case, which swung her farther right (my guess is that Bill Clinton denied Skelator's offer for a BJ and she got mad at him).

I know that she ran in 1998 or 2000 as an independent to hopefully swing votes to a democrat...not sure why, i think the republican voted against impeachment of Clinton....