another graphic car query

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mad_Bishop, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I need a pci graphics card that has video output, either s-video or preferably component (or composite, i forget which is which). I'm using an old celeron machine as an mp3 server for my home theater and only need to use the video as a moniter for the thing...so graphics capability is really a non issue...it really only needs to be able to do like 16 colors

2. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    thanks...gives me options.

I was looking for something cheap and simple at first, now 'm thinking about shelling out a little more for a card that also has TV Tuner, etc. so that when i'm not using it in my remote machine, I can through it in my DV setup and capture non-digital source. I'm thinking about the ATI all-in-wonder. Anyone have any opinions on this card?

On a seperate note, looking at these cards made me realize how out of date my current machine is: the video card I'm using right now is the original for this machine. A TNT Riva2 with 16Mb. Wow. And to think that my p3 550 coppermine was once top of the line!

3. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder New Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    For a TV out, the cheapest you may go could be for the ATI series cards. I know I spent around $150 at the time for my present card, but I know for a fact that they have dropped down in price quite a bit. The same card that I have now goes for closer to $100. I suggest reading some reviews as well. I am a huge fan of ATI that I tout them more than any other make (NVIDIA)....so I am sort of biased.