Another DCU OldSchooler to Return?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dale_wilster, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From this morning's paper in Santa Cruz, Bolivia (his hometown)

http://www.eldeber.com.bo/20041116/deportes_5.html

Marco A. Etcheverry Prepares His Return

El Diablo admits that in 2005 he will return to MLS and in November will have his farewell.

translated excerpt:

....Even though he has various offers that he is considering, Etcheverry said his return to DC United almost completed.

-What are your plans for next year?
    -There is the possibility of playing one more year with DC United and that idea gets me excited.

-When will your farewell game be played?
    -For November 2005 and those in charge will be the same that organized the farewell games for Carlos Valderrama and Jose Luis Chilavert.

-Are you motivated to return to play?
    -After that I went to DC and spoke with Coach Bruce Arena and explained my intention of saying farewell to a league, which I don’t think I left on good terms. In that case, the coach told me what I needed to do with this team and I turned down the possibility of playing in Los Angeles, where I also have an offer from Chivas.

-Are there other offers besides these?
    -There are some people interested in taking me to play in China and others to Qatar, but there is nothing finalized. But for now, I would like to rest and in January start with everything.

------

This was the relevant part pertaining to DCU. He also spoke about the possibility of Chilavert becoming the head coach of the Bolivian NT and Etcheverry and an offer to enter the political arena in Bolivia.

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    coach Bruce Arena?..I don't see this as anything other than him coming back for a farewell match. There is no way Nowak would put up with Etcheverry's lack of defensive work ethic. The only old DC player I could see coming back would be Eddie Pope if Ryan Nelsen does indeed leave.

3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I was thinking Thor Lee was seriously thinking comeback......

JMO but Marco should have seriously considered the offer from Chivas. He had a great run here, but it's time to move on. How could DCU afford him anyway unless they sign him for 50k?

4. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    [​IMG]

Is he quilting?

5. AB727

AB727 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Yes, I know Marco is much older, and it's not the same thing, but people should check out some of the things written about the return of another certain Bolivian before they completely write off a possible return by El Diablo.

Of course Nowak wouldn't put up with the Marco as he was when he left. But maybe Marco is willing to play a role that could help the team in some way (and no, I don't know what that would be, but I trust Nowak to know).

6. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    That's a ridiculous comparison. Jaime's problems were due to injury, not age and pace. Even when healthy, Etch played very poorly at the end of his career. Plain and simple, he held up the attack because he was too slow.

This article is not worth commenting on. It's not going to happen.

7. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

Please, lets not turn this into another Marco bashing thread! :confused:

8. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what role exactly would United need Etcheverry to fill next season?

I seriously doubt he's a 90-minute player anymore. He's not going to take Stewart's role on the wing, and the combination of Gomez, Eskandarian and Moreno was more than enough to run the offense this season, and I firmly believe all 3 of those players will again be in United colors next season. United needs them and they've earned the right to their spots in the first XI when the 2005 campaign begins.

Marco was a great player. I really don't want to see him come back and risk the prospect of looking like Willie Mays with the Mets or Steve Carlton with the Giants. Even if he comes back and is an average contributor, that's not up to Marco standards, and I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough to help this team. There's a lot more ways that would end badly than ways it would have a positive effect.

And I'd hope we wouldn't have to wait til November for a farewell match. That's not right, either.

That's a nice little story in that paper, but I'd have to think at this point, that's all it is, a story.

9. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farewell match would be nice, and that's what I infer from that translation, not a full season in MLS. Until I see another article saying Raul Diaz Arce also is coming back to recreate the magic triangle I won't believe it ;)

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post (Sorry, I'm a Phillies fan, and therefore bitter).

But I agree with you. Even as a substitute, I don't think there's much room on the team for Marco, I think that Freddy is the first choice AM sub. The midfield is crowded, and as much as I'd like to see Marco roam the RFK pitch once again, I think that's behind us.

But maybe they can bring him on as an assitant in hopes of furthing his coaching career? I like the concept of United bringing players back into other roles in the organization, it helps with team loyalty.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't have Raul Diaz Arce back!!! He is playing for the PR Islanders and loving it... so I hear... well I read it... in some local paper... yeaH!

12. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Perhaps he is coming back in some sort of Coaching or FO position? Wasn't it mentioned that he was moving back to DC to start up some youth program or coaching youth squads? Maybe he will be a reserve team coach? dunno...just throwing out ideas.

13. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter which way you slice it gang, we all know that El Daiblo just isn't going to fit into Nowak's system and it would be a shame to even have him come back and do poorly. I'd like to see him come back in some role other then a player, and have his tribute match as he so deserves. Long live the LEGEND El Diablo!

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Good to see a pic of Marco again. I hope he comes back in any fashion.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think fashion and that outfit go together?

Is Marco looking to hangout with Tony, Christopher and Paulie Walnuts?

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This explains why there was no testimonial match...Marco still thought he could play.

Not to bash him, but he is a shadow of himself and it would hurt the team if he tried to return. He doesn't fit this system and the players ahead of him for that attacking mid spot are younger and, at this point, much better.

17. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    He can come back in bad fashion. He can come back looking to hangout w/the Walnuts. Or the Waltons, the Brady Bunch, the Partridge Family, or DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Cause it's Marco. There is nobody like Marco.

18. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can come back and coach, run the Academy w/ Harkes, be a 2nd Assistant to Soehn and Nowak. But as a field player...I'm sorry but please no.

19. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    I'm a huge Marco fan, and I look forward to cheering myself hoarse for him every time he touches the ball and every time he doesn't play defense ;) in the testimonial match. I look forward to bringing all nine of my kids to the game, and telling each one of them they are witnessing a player who was one of the very best players ever to grace a pitch in North America.

But the fact is regardless of his intentions, if indeed they really are to return to the team in any kind of regular playing capacity, under Nowak he would have to "make the cut" just like everyone else. As much as I love Marco, I just don't think he still has the ability to do that.

20. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Today's Goff article indicates that Gomez is on a short term contract.
    I really don't like where this is headed......

21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Nah, Freddy should be deserving of a starting spot next season and his position is the same as Gomez. So unless Nowak switches things around (unlikely) either Gomez or Freddy will sit when the deserve to start.

22. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not totally convinced Freddy is ready to be a permanent starter, especially in the 2-5-3. If we go 3-4-3 then its definitely possible. But I favor Gomez, and hope DCU is smart enough to get this guy a long term contract. He definitely injected what we were lacking all season.

23. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I'll never begrudge a guy his skepticism, but I will point out that there was logic to why Gomez was on a short-term contract: it was the only way to bring him in this season. I am optimistic that the team brought Gomez in the way that they could but had lined up a means to make it permanent at the end of the season/year.

Tim

24. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    shouldn't the fact that he claims bruce arena as the head coach be the tip off that this article is just nonsense? if you are about to be offered a contract, don't you ususally talk to the coach at some point. and its not like he doesnt know who arena or nowak are, nor do they look, talk, or act alike. i say, lies! all lies!

25. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    He never claimed Bruce Arena was the head coach of United.

It's entirely possible that Etch happened to have a talk with da Bruce ( I believe they were both at the conference final match and perhaps shared a booth) so maybe Etch just asked BA for his opinion, and then Etch blabbed about it.

Also, I know some in the United organization have commented privately that Etch would have been a very different player under Nowak and may have worked out much better.
    I'm tellin' ya, I don't like where this COULD be going....