Another club drinking from the poison challis (FRC)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BigFrank, Jul 21, 2005.

1. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    No gold stars for Red Star!

Zenga new boss of Red Star Belgrade

BELGRADE, July 21 (Reuters) - Serbian club Red Star Belgrade say former Italy goalkeeper Walter Zenga is to become their new head coach, replacing Ratko Dostanic.

Red Star president Dragan Stojkovic said a deal would be signed next week with Zenga, who was fired from his post as coach of Romanian club Steaua Bucharest in May.

'I will sign a two-year contract with Zenga on July 28 in Belgrade, when the team returns from the training camp in Austria. He will take over the team from Dostanic tomorrow,' Stojkovic told Belgrade daily Politika on Thursday.

Zenga coached National Bucharest for one and a half seasons in 2002-2003 and took over Steaua last July. He won 58 caps for Italy from 1986 to 1992 and played in the World Cup in 1986 and 1990, when he was voted world's best goalkeeper.

'Zenga is a coach whose authority can bring a positive push for the club and the team which need changes in all segments,' Stojkovic told sports daily Zurnal.

Red Star's 2004-05 season was one of its worst in years. They lost the league title to bitter city rivals Partizan and the cup final to outsiders Zeleznik Belgrade.

They also made an undignified exit from Europe, suffering a 7-3 aggregate drubbing from PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League third qualifying round and then losing their UEFA Cup first round tie with Zenit St Petersburg 6-1 over two legs.

Red Star's board of directors resigned en masse in late May and long-serving president Dragan Dzajic, a former Red Star stalwart who led the Serbian club to their 1991 European Cup triumph, quit for health reasons.

He was replaced in July by Dragan 'Piksi' Stojkovic, one of Serbia's most famous footballers who made his mark as a midfielder for Red Star, Olympique Marseille and J-League's Nagoya Grampus Eight. He pledged to restore Red Star's fortunes with a five-year programme that would turn the team around.

'Zenga is a great name in world football (great name, great player, lousy coach, certifiable personality), we expect to work well with him,' Red Star captain Marko Pantelic told Blic daily.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Jesus, if they're expecting Zenga to crack the whip, I hope they realize that he might just bend over and enjoy a few lashings from whomever his young, nubile "chippie of the moment" is.

The Magpie

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the players like Expresso. :rolleyes:

4. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
  5. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A poison challis of expresso?
    Where is ProfZodiac, board spellchecker, when we need him? :D

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    BF: Is the parenthetical statement your $.02?

Seriously, is there anyone on this board who knows what kind of coach Zenga is at this point?

If we were to judge every coach by their first shot at it, wouldn't we be judging Nicol by Nott's County results?

7. "Red" Foley

"Red" Foley New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    I had an uncle who once played for Red Star Belgrade. He often said things are better left unspoken, but I, on the contrary, prefer to keep it all out in the open.

I suspect Big Frank would agree with me that true Revolution is just a T-shirt away.

Cheers,

"Red"

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Red" Foley]I had an uncle who once played for Red Star Belgrade. He often said things are better left unspoken, but I, on the contrary, prefer to keep it all out in the open. [/QUOTE]

Say, do you drive a Mitsubishi Zero?

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, why shouldn't Zenga have done well as our coach? He had Harkes, Stumpy, Geo, Babba, Go-loser, Gori, Dunseth, Burns and many other world class (please note typed in lower case) players to mold into a winning side. Heck, with what he had to work with he should have won the triple. :rolleyes:

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Red drives one of those three-wheeled cars they used to have in the UK about 15 years ago, but stopped making them because they were too dangerous to control.

Well, those of us who closely followed the team in those years would agree that it doesn't come close to the 2005 team, but they should have done better than they did. For whatever reason, the teams always seemed to under-achieve. The 1998 team actually had some decent players, but when Rongen left the team in mid-season to go to France as Steve Sampson's assistant (who ever heard of a coach leaving his team?), it became that much harder to get players (other than Joe-Max) to run through a brick wall "for the good of the team."

Tom

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think the Revs ever had even an "average" roster until the last few years.

Let's be honest, those guys stunk. We never had the kind of impact foreign player that was the bread and butter of the contending MLS teams back then and our USNT players were not really impact players (Lalas previously, Burns and JMM).

Here's out '98 team:

Raul Diaz Arce - quality finisher, nice season.
    Joe-Max Moore - 7 goals in a 32 game season, if he's your 2nd leading scorer ...
    Edwin Gorter - injured and/or slow - when your most creative player is stuck on D, ...
    Imad Baba - afraid to go forward
    Mike Burns - competent defensively, couldn't shoot within a time zone of the goal
    Ivan McKinley - tough, but slow, lots of cards, temper often took him out of matches
    Johnny Torres - seemed to have lots of tools, just couldn't seem to find the goal
    Ted Chronopoulos - 2g, 3a - ouch!
    Jair - nice lookin player, but 8 starts, 3g, 1a
    Paul Keegan - popular, but only a hard-working, journeyman
    Richard Goulooze - slowest player in the league? Needed a LOT more from int'l.
    Manny Motajo - Did he really play in 15 games?
    Carlos Rocha - non-factor
    Jamar Beasley - 49 minutes (total, not average)!
    David Nakhid - nice player, but 0g 0a, 12 starts, not exactly Etcheverry or Valderrama-like
    Janusz Michallik - part-time, role player
    Damian - non-factor
    Dahir Mohammed - non-factor
    Brian Dunseth - mistake-prone
    Jesse Van Saun - non-factor
    Tom McLaughlin - more of a non-factor
    Ian Feuer - I always like him - better reach than AB
    Jeff Causey - didn't play much

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do any of the under 20 gang on this Board know what Jesse did while playing for the Revs that makes him famous?

13. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    He reacted the same way that I do when I agree with something that you have posted! :p

BTW, Zenga was a lunatic, completely ill-suited to be a coach and not even the Doc and legion of top shrinks could ever straighten him out.

His "coaching career" since the Revos has included beng sacked by the quivalent of an Italian pub team that actually began to much play better during one of his lengthly suspensions and getting into all sorts of trouble in Romania with charges of stealing the girlfriend of wealthy patron, who then allegedly planted drugs on him at a restaurant while turning him into police from his cell phone a few tables away. Made for a funny story in When Saturday Comes if anyone still has that issue.

14. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for not saying "treble."

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    ....damn, I was just going to answer this, then I saw the "under 20 gang" stipulation.

Help, help... age discrimination!

:D

The Magpie

16. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come see the violence inherent in the system!

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right here. :D

I was gonna leave this thread alone, cause I always liked Zenga, but I couldn't argue he was a good coach. I was too young to give a damn about the coach. If we won, yay, if we lost, oh well. I could name two-thirds of the starting lineup, but that was it.

Oh, and the obligatory spell-checking. The chalice would be full of espresso. But I think that the way some of you guys are talking, it'd be full of hemlock.

18. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    i agree with you in certain instances
    and i know you did 98,
    but zenga wasnt the only terrible coach, it was all of them
    and on top of the terrible coaching was bad player moves
    so im gonna cover a few of them

now youre missing quite a few players here
    but they didnt stay on the roster long either
    like ariel graziani, otto addo,
    and the cape verdean d mid whose name i forget
    which they then replaced with the terrible rocha
    those were top class players,
    the trouble is... we never used them well enough
    same with jair, and jamar beasley
    and then they wasted their time with savarse, etc.

for defense
    chrono was just as good as heaps/franchino are now
    dunseth got the bad rep because of his girlish looks, but hes an ok defender
    but burns was never that great, just an avg player, but local
    and ivan mckinley was a hot-head that always f--ked us over

in the mid, we never had one, it was always forgotten
    the trouble with MLS for all those years,
    was the typical american model of sport
    offense v defense, and nothing existed between
    what we needed to do was to take advantage of the open style of play
    and go with a 3-5-2, with 2 d mids and a creative player
    gorter was great, but had to spend too much time defending,
    because we never used a solid d mid
    it was the same trouble with mauricio wright
    he isnt a sweeper, no matter what anybody tells you
    he is a d-mid, and should have been used as such
    otto addo and

we also lacked a true striker, like twellmen is now
    joe-max not to take anything away from him, was a withdrawn forward
    he would pouch on chances, but he needed forwards in front of him
    let's also not forget he left us high and dry for england
    diaz arce is terrible, he capitalized on dc's overwhelming talent
    keegan blew, people liked him solely because he was local and irish
    torres blows, still does in MISL
    and the old decrepid goulouze didnt belong here in the first place

so what they shouldve done was this, a 3-5-2

GK= Jeff Causey (feuer and sommer wouldve done as well)

Left Center Back= Mike Burns (found/traded for a better player)
    Center Back (stopper)= Dan Calichman (unfortunately retired)
    Right Center Back= Brian Dunseth

Left Defensive Midfielder= Paulo dos Santos
    Right Defensive Midfielder= Otto Addo(later wright)
    Left Flank= Jair (replaced by Imad Baba, later harkes or better option)
    Rright Flank=Teddy Chronopolous
    Creative Midfielder= Edwin Gorter(subbed out, and replaced by Jair)

Left Forward (withdrawn)= Joe-Max Moore (graziani in joe-max's absence)
    Right Forward= Jamar Beasley

(needed for sub,
    a replacement forward who could be used regularly
    a center back for calichman's departure
    a true left flank)