Another Clint Mathis Thread, NOT started by Clint Mathis

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci_3652573

So I read this article, and I completely bought the spin put on Mathis' tumultuous career since 2002. 4 goals in his first 5 games at Hannover, and then immediately benched by a coaching change. Finally gets a late game sub in, scores immediately, makes obscence gesture, benched again, then moves to awful RSL, surrounded by players who just cannot produce in MLS, has poor stats, shipped away to Colorado by the coach who he quit Hannover and his big Bliga contract and took a huge paycut to leave for.

Now he is out of USMNT contention apparently. This is now probably the 3rd or 4th different time recently I've seen Mathis quoted as saying he is desperate to get back not he USMNT and to impress Arena. He has said all the right things, he seems to have been reborn (or at least gives this impression).

Granted, he has got to produce immediately and immensely with Colorado to probably get anyone's attention, as what you did 2 years ago doesn't matter today.

But can you think of a more unpredictable, prolific second half sub than Clint Mathis in the world, much less the US? You put him on the field, as a late game sub, tell him to sprint the whole time he's out there, play defense, everything, if he ever hopes to play with the USMNT again, and I think that is a very dangerous player.

He's fit, he's saying the right things, he's motivated, he's still the same soccer genius he's always been. I think he should be brought in vs. Jamaica. What the hell, why not. Can we afford to squeeze him on the roster in place of a Noonan, or a Ralston? I think so.

I know most people will not consider him, I usually don't, but this article reminded me of how great he can be. I think it is silly to completely dismiss potentially our most dangerous and unpredictable offensive weapon. If we're thinking about bringing Adu (not that we are), we should be considering Mathis.

2. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Well I just noticed the Mathis thread in News and Analysis. I was so sure that any Mathis thread that was posted there would be immediately closed or booted out to US Men, so I didn't even bother looking there to see if there was one.

Lo and behold, there is. How unpredictable BigSoccer can be. My bad. Ignore this thread.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    You're Clint Mathis, aren't you?!

4. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas
    Chances are much better that he'll disappear entirely, refuse to play defense, and bitch constantly at his teammates and the referee. Finally, sweaty and frustrated, the cameras will focus close-up on him untucking his jersey and rubbing his beer belly.

In post-game interviews, he will blame society.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    unpredictable as in: I thought he would run, but instead he is walking and arguing with the ref.I never would have predicted that! :)

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hi Clint!!!

7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it better to have boring players in the mold of Boy Scout "Mike Burns" to grace the usmnt? Those type of guys choke with pressure. Mathis enjoys it.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, here's the thing about Clint. Here's the problem.

He sucks.

There are many MLS teams* he wouldn't even start for, and you jacknuts want him in Germany?!?!?

*Cuz I know people are gonna want to go there...he's not as good as any of the Revs' attacking players, at least at their roles, he wouldn't start in DC, I don't see how he could start for the Mutts. And that's just the East.

9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope he's motivated enough to have a great April, so his fantasy value can skyrocket. Of course, when he isn't named to the roster, I will sell him as all motivation will be gone. Huge profit!

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His primary concern has to be contract renewal. Getting picked is unlikely, getting to play meaningful minutes if picked is even more unlikely, and getting to make a contribution on the level of his 2002 contribution is extremely unlikely.

What he is doing well is getting media attention focused on MLS and the WC. The media likes complex characters with talent.