Another British perspective of U.S. Soccer

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by hackattack, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with you that, like herpes, they're a universal phenomenon. It's just that, in the US, they dare to present themselves as the true fan of the sport, the connoisseur, etc., and I'd be surprised if they dared to do that in the case of, say Reading. Though I could be wrong.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    to an extent you will always get a similar effect, in that success brings the crowds in. My point was more about the fact that for some people only the big event is enough for them. OK, if you have enough big events some of those drawn along that day will certainly consider going more often, but it's almost impossible to get them to come along without that initial big incentive.
    What I'm saying is forget those who think it's a level 'beneath them' and concentrate on those not prejudiced against it.

kind of. The way it works out here though is that all 4 teams share the receipts from the play-off games. I'm sure the accountants are glad of the cash, but as a fan you don't tend to find if you lose a play off final that thinking of the financial gains brings a rosy glow to your cheeks.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just "SIX YEARS OLD" ? Damm, I must be losing it. I could have sworn that I went to the SJ Clash vs DC United game in 1996.... ;)

Interesting article. I take it was a grain of salt. The author could have been doing his research at the local pub. I did like this part:

"Clearly, not enough Englishmen have been on the end of a crunching Troy Dyak challenge to realize that these views, through no fault of their own, are purely the product of distorted perception. MLS is as aggressive if not tougher than any league I have seen—a factor that has established the U.S. as a country of choice for players equipped to cope with the physical nature of the English Premiership."

4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are 30 years old, yes? in proportion, that's more team history (as compared to the oldest clubs in England) than the US has history as a country (as compared to England).

That lack of US history hasn't seemed to hinder us much.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Classic