ankle weights again?

Discussion in 'Player' started by hectordagreat11, Dec 6, 2004.

1. hectordagreat11

hectordagreat11 New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    i have read some of the previous comments in the other ankle weight thread but i have a few questions?

do ankle weights really hurt ur knees after a while?
    i mean they wouldnt have been invented if they were dangerous right?

ok so i am in the top 5 fastest players on my highschool varsity soccer team...i think im number 3...lol ok so i want to get faster and my acceleration could be better so i have looked at ankle weights but i have not yet bought them because i certainly do not want to have knee problems...

so if i were to get them? can i run in them? or just wear them to walk...like for example...wear them all day at school?

2. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    just walking wont hurt ive heard from doctors and trainers

3. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    Hey,

I think i've probably used ankle weights more than anyone on the boards (for about two years almost four times a week) I posted the first thread regarding them (that I know of) about a month ago in this forum.
    I used them when I was desperate to get better really fast. I did some stupid things with them on, but they made me such a better player on so many levels. You know how pros kick the ball like it's a beach ball? I put the weights on and overinflated a basketball. I chipped it with my left and right foot for an hour until a normal ball felt like a balloon. I wasn't coordinated enough to do scisors, so I went out with the weights on and did hundreds. I did them with the wieghts on going up and down hills. Then I would lay on my back like I was doing a sit-up and do scisors in the air. It looked silly but it made you feel like C.Ronaldo and strengthened your abs a lot. I learned to shoot without spin, with downspin, and everything else. They gave you so much quickness... But I'm currently in Physical Therapy dealing with knee problems. I havn't used weights for about two months and my knees didn't start hurting untill about a month ago but I kinda think they were the cause. I stopped because my weights got torn not because I had pain. I used the weights pretty consistantly for two years, only stopped during a few injuries.(One was lower back which could have easily been due to the weights) Maybe you could find some real excersisces that are recomended by professionals. (I made up all of mine.) I am almost better after a month of pain and a week of therapy (Expected to take 5 weeks) so it's not like it was a career ending injury (I hope not as Im 17) and could have been simply growing pains as I have grown a lot this year.

Anyways, sorry to blab but I would try to talk to a trainer or someone before you consider them. But they are amazing. If you find out anything at all PLEASE let everyone on this forum know.

-Yourself

4. hectordagreat11

hectordagreat11 New Member

Nov 9, 2004

thx a lot man...i appreciate ur input...

5. Andreas07

Andreas07 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Norway
    ankle weights

I'm thinking of getting some ankle weights, and woundering how heavy is your weights, 'yourself'?? is 1.5 kilos or 3.3 pounds too light? or too heavy?

andreas

6. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    The weights I had were adjustable, with the most weight at ten pounds each, but could be reduced by two all the way down to 4 pounds. The box said they were ten pounds but I think they were a lot less, probably closer to eight at the max. I took some weights out of mine and probably used them at about 4 or 5 pounds. I would definitly recomend getting adjustable ones.
    Be careful with whatever you get.

7. sockacrazy

sockacrazy New Member

May 6, 2004
    I talked to a running coach and he said that he used ankle weights for his athletes but at like 2 and a 1/2 pounds not too heave and they didnt run in them just put them on for a couple hours a day while they were walking around. and they didnt have any knee problems. I've been using them some and no effects on my knee at all. But it has helped my running greatly.

-justin

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let me tell you right now to get rid of this idea. It is the sure path to being injured or fooled out of your money in countless ways.

9. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    I think it would be nice to wear them to school and in the car so that when you get out just before the game you can take them off and make yourself feel lighter, just as a short term solution to get you going.

10. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    Spejic,
    Do you have some information that could back that comment up? I believe that they do have the potential but if you know from a higher knowledge, ie a doctor or trainer, please tell us.

11. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    what u said about if they were dangerous they wouldnt have invented them was wrong. i guess u forgot about those little lung killers known as cigarettes. if u dont have any injuries now u will. the only thing they are guarenteed safe for is to put on as extra weight when u are working out like when u do leg lifts on ur back and exercises for hips and thighs and things like that

12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I ment that comment in general. People do invent useless or harmful products all the time in an attempt to seperate you from your money.

If you talk to doctors, almost all of them will say ankle weights are a bad idea. They place undue and unnatural strain on ligaments and tendons. Remember that when a leg swings, the g-forces exerted by the weight is going to be a couple times what it says. The only time they should be used is part of stationary excercise, like leg lifts.

13. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    ok thanks,

but by the way, they are DEFINITLY not a useless item. Dangerous maybe, but not useless. Use them for a day and I guarantee you'll agree.

14. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    they created phen-fen and that isn't dangerous!

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to ************ up your knees for life, go ahead and use ankle weights.

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they won't be harmful if you use them in certain ways.

i would say NEVER run with them. it just isn't worth it or smart really.

to use for exercises such as high knees, butt kicks, leg lifts, etc are good ideas.
    nothing with explosion, nothing high paced.

walking with them would have minimal bad effects on your joints and could probably make a difference.