Andrew Yang will be your next president

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Feb 24, 2019.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Robots.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yabbut, who's gonna build those robots? Other robots?

3. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Eventually. :)

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replicators.

Damned if Stargate-SG-1 didn't have some sort of inside info about secrets of the past AND the future .....

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This debate reminds me of a book I read a couple of years back called the Cloud of Unknowing. It was a sort of instruction guide from an old monk to a young monk in the 13th century. The most fascinating part to me was how medieval Europe felt about work. It's a completely different mindset. It's very disorienting to us moderns.

It's a short book. @Dr. Wankler

bigredfutbol and Chesco United repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's a classic of English mysticism, but it doesn't have much to say about robots. Of the 14th century mystics, Catherine of Siena or Margery Kemp might be more helpful.

luftmensch repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it says a lot about what to do with your life if you don't work.

From a 21st century perspective, it's shocking that (IIRC) there's no defense of the monk's lifestyle, in which he feeds, literally, off of the labor of others so that he can spend his entire life praying and thinking about God. The writer felt no need to defend it.

bigredfutbol, Dr. Wankler and luftmensch repped this.
  8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be fair, my understanding of medieval history is monks often worked to expand our understanding of the natural world, preserve histories, literacy, and traditions, and create art/poetry. In medieval terms, monks may have often been the closest thing to scientists conceived.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To be sure, mnastaries get donations, etc, but most monastaries are self-sustaining in some way. The nuns at my wife's college run the college, as did the Benedictines at a prior job. Similarly, Thomas Merton'a monastaary in Kentucky, Gethsemene, sells really good cheese (and I assume still gets a cut from Merton's books), and The Abbey of Genesee outside Rochester NY sells bread, while another Cistercian monastary in Massachussetts sells damn good beer.

Strangely enough, the editor of The American Conservative has suggested that monastic life might be a model for religious people in a post religious world

[​IMG]

More left-leaning christians are pursuing similar ideas. There is an element of work to support the monastary (the Latin motto of the Benedictine order translates as Work and Prayer) in these mostly-protestant places, and a pooling of resources, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Monasticism
    There are better resources, but I need to get supper started.

10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was true but it went well beyond that, and continues to in regions where the monastic or holy life is still treated with more societal respect (like in India or many southeast Asian countries). In the context of certain religious systems those who forego worldly pursuits for the sake of spiritual practice are seen as doing God's (or Whatever's) work, and thus worthy of support, whether or not it results in an obviously tangible benefit to that society.

MatthausSammer and superdave repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but not the ones in this book.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Andrew Yang with a good point here...

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WeWork is a good example on how "sophisticated" investors can also be suckers.

Lost of wall street rich guys are going to lose lots of money here.

But the biggest loser is going to be Masayoshi Son and his investment bank.

Talk about convoluted investments, His investment bank was supposed to be separate from his regular bank Softbank (Edit; I guess it is not really a bank, but a software company), but now Softbank may be forced to swallow WeWork and inject it with more capital to keep it afloat.

Investors in Softbank should be pissed, but since it is Japan, nothing will happen.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/wework-investor-softbank-could-take-over-company-wsj-2019-10/

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yang has hired Tad Devine, who partnered with Manafort in Ukraine.

sitruc repped this.
  15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I saw my first Yang campaign sign.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Is he Tulsi Light?

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yang gets a pants on Fire.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...-yangs-claim-support-among-trump-voters-rate/

But something I found interesting.

Is that some flip voters that they are detecting? Or just some Trump voters that like primaries and since their is not a real one with the reps they will vote Democrat?

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ever feel like we're going too far with this "everyone's an asset/useful idiot for Russia" thing? Or is it just me?

Dr. Wankler and stanger repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Word.

I'd also like to see a stop to Dems claiming to be the big tent party and then crushing all non-harmonious voices.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That is false. Nobody is saying that any candidate but Tulsi doesn't belong. No such claims have been made of -

Warren
    Pete
    Biden
    Kamala
    Beto
    Cory
    Bernie
    Kobluchar
    Castro
    Williamson
    Bennet
    Yang

Only with Tulsi.

sitruc repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And, frankly, I have no problem with Tulsi Gabbard being the Presidential race. She has the right to run, she meets the minimum qualifications and I am fine seeing her exposed.
    I do not want her to rise above 1.3% in the polls and she is delusional if she thinks she will be president. Also,
    I certainly don't want her to run as a third party, running the Democratic Primary is just fine.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, Sanders is not a real Democrat has been used, probably not by a lot of people, but it has been used.

Then the crazy health lady (Williason?), we I do not know if she belongs or not, maybe we do need one very crazy person to make everyone else look normal.

Edit: Tulsi, is the most pacifist candidate of the bunch, so obviously she does not belong anywhere near the presidency. Just like the Paul's on the repugs, they are too naive with their lets stop bombing our "enemies" talk.

23. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If Gabbard won the Democratic nomination I'd have no problem voting for her in November but there is no way I'd vote for her as a 3rd party candidate.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That was a whisker complaint, not a mainstream argument. Similar to the comments by some Republicans than Trump wasn't a true conservative because he had previously been registered as a Democrat. Standard stuff.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like what a Russian Bot would say. I'm not saying anything, but this comes across as pretty third-party adjacent, if not disinformation-proximate.

Moishe and Timon19 repped this.