Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    not sure how a guy who setup a couple of goals against el tri 'busted' but some potential was not realized for any number of reasons

2. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Dare I say it, but looking at these goals they remind me of Messi goals (of course Messi has 30 or so times as many!)--the great curling left foot shooting from distance, the free kicks, the very quick release, the cutting to the right and pausing just the right amount, beating defenders for the tap ins, and even the headed goals. It goes to show how greatest hits videos can be deceiving, but based on his best moments he was a transcendent talent who looked like he could be a superstar. Unfortunately those moments were far too few . . .

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, Reyna is a 17 year old starter for a Champions League team and one of the best prospects in the world in his birth year, and he's still getting a fraction of the hype that Adu got at the time.

People forget how much of a cultural phenomenon Adu Hype was.

4. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So he's out of contract at the end of the year. What's next for him?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    MLS expansion draft. Barring that, MLS re-entry draft.
    An MLS club probably will pick up his MLS rights in that process
    If I'm Claudio Reyna and Austin FC, I'd give it a long and hard look

He can chose to go that way or give it a go in Europe.
    However, his stock isn't high in terms of a "good" Euro move.

6. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I doubt he would want to stay in MLS at this point. Based off of his one interview with OneGoalUS, it sounded like he had a good deal going with NYCFC to go to Man City after a couple years but in came ATLUTD. I think his stock might've dropped but he'd still have suitors and clubs interested just because he'll be on a free so he'll likely do the trial tour.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We'll see.
    He's not a 17 year old prospect.
    He's a 20 year old that's been playing in the American 2nd division.
    So we'll see what kinds of opportunities he has. His MLS rights will probably be picked up, so he'll hopefully have options.

Hopefully his agent is working the phones setting up trials. However, COVID may be putting a damper on that. I don't know. Seth Wilson's experience has made me think that its pretty darn difficult right now.

8. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta should have one more option year on his contract, but it would be pretty shocking if they pick it up.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Really?
    This is his 5th full year in the league, right?
    He signed in the spring of 2016.

So 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.

Time flies..........................

You could be right. I have no idea.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ya think?

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry Wingo is a starter for Molde. That seems about AC's level. He should give Scandinavia a look. I don't really see it happening for him in MLS or USL.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    it seems like the level of coaching and focus on development in the danish league is very, very high right now. also seem to be willing sellers.

13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    This is ATLU 4th Season.

He did sign in summer of 2016, but assumed (wrongly perhaps) that his first team contract started in 2017 with ATLU inaugural season. He did play a little bit with Charleston after signing in late 2016, but again assuming that wasn't on a first team deal yet.

Also pretty sure that I saw that 2020 was the 1st option that ATLU picked up...while declining Goslin's contract at the first opportunity.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ah, so he was on a USL contract in 2016? Makes sense.............................
    That was the year he was loaned to the Battery.

15. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I not sure exactly the type of contract.

I did read that when he signed (early June 2016) that Carlton was still in residency and needed to complete HGP player requirements.

I am basically just assuming that the deal wasn't a slightly under 4.5 year deal with the first ~.5 year while ATLU wasn't even in existence and was really a 5 or 5.5 year deal with an option for 2021.

Likely moot because I don't see ATLU picking up his option, so he would be in the same place as if this year was the last year.

Also it makes little sense to pick-up the last year of a contract and immediately loan out to Indy on a year long loan. You have to think that ATLU paid him the $90K in hopes that he dominated USL and could be brought back to ATLU in 2021 or sold for some sort of fee. Hard for the math to check out if he is out of contact at the end of 2020.

16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulling a Haji sounds like a good idea for him. Those leagues yearn for creative players anyways. A good year in Scandinavia gets him a move to the Netherlands or Germany, which seems like the best path at the moment.

17. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I went based off of what Transfermarkt has which says December 31, 2020 but I know sometimes contracts could be off when it comes to MLS rules and contracts.

18. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they don't consider the team options years...technically his contract is up in 2020, but with the option year it can also be extended for another year.

19. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They could exercise the option but for what? The team is struggling right now for creativity and you rather not accept him back for the rest of the season? I think that almost says without saying, we’re likely not going to pick up your option. I could be wrong though but this is how I see it.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I hate to kick a man while he's down and beat a dead horse, but the release of today's USMNT roster reminds us how far Carleton has fallen.

Seven fellow 00s were called up today - Dest, Gioacchini, Ledezma, Richards, Sargent, Soto, Weah.

Meanwhile, 9 00s have played at least 800 minutes in MLS this year - Aaronson, Amaya, Sands, Dike, Perea, Akinola, Lindsey, Ferreira, Keita - and two of them - Aaronson and Ferreira - have already been capped.

All told, 13 00s have played in MLS but at this point, Carleton is even behind the ones who just played sparingly - Bailey, Mines, Lemoine, Cerillo.

Just goes to show how important the 17-20 age period is for prospects and if you aren't in a good place you can go from highly rated prospect to not even the top 20 in your year.

frankburgers repped this.
  21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Atlanta didn’t pick up his contract option. He is released.
    This cements his status as a top 5 ynt bust.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not yet.......................he's still only 20.
    Or at least I haven't given up on him yet.

My concern is surely Atlanta thought of picking up his option and then trying to get something in return for him. Anything.
    They didn't do that which makes me think interest might not be that high. That's just mindless speculation on my part, though.

The next step I guess is that he goes into those end of year drafts in MLS.
    If I'm Austin, I take a serious look.
    I just don't know what kind of Euro options he might have.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An MLS team would really be taking a flyer, when he's not even changing his situation much, hasn't shown accountability here, & wasn't consistently good in the US' 2nd tier even.

Gardiner's experiment at Helsingor in Denmark's 2nd tier would be a good fit for them both. About the right level now, maybe he gets motivated if they're more demanding of him, he has theoretical upward ability, & there isn't much nightlife.

don Lamb and Thundering165 repped this.
  24. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end?

25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Somebody needs to get this kid in a room with Benny Feilhaber and off to the Peter Vermes home for wayward midfielders.