Anderlecht [R]

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by BrianCappellieri, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Anderlecht Demand Reduction

Anderlecht president Roger Vanden Stock has stressed his determination to reduce the number of clubs in the Belgian first division...

Sporting Life

2. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Everything about the team at this address: www.rsca.be
    (english available).

3. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    do you think Seol Ki-hyeon will get full time play this season after his World Cup play/

4. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    He has great chances to have full time play.I attempted to a friendly match against Metz two weeks ago and he was the best of the team.I think the managers of the club were very surprised to see how good he was at WC and now they have great hopes for him but also of course expect a lot from him now.

5. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Anderlecht Successfully Separate Zewlakow Twins

The Zewlakow twins are no longer together at R. Mouscron following the successful acquisition of Michal Zewlakow by Belgian heavyweights RSC Anderlecht, who reportedly beat out competition from Lille and Ajax...

SoccerAge

6. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Galatasaray is interested in Seol Ki-yeon.The 2 clubs started negociations yesterday.
    IMO the price to pay will be very high as Anderlecht was impressed by his WC.

7. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Really? Where did you hear this?

8. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    I read it in two national newspapers and Anderlecht confirmed this information so... As soon as I have more news about it I'll let you know.

9. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Friendlies: Willem II - RSCA: 4-0 (08/03)
    RSCA - Everton: 2-0 (08/06)

Alexandar Ilic has been proposed to Mouscron has they are looking for a left footed defender.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the link in the first post. What is the reason for the new name, adding Brussels to the end of RSCA? And why the English name and not Brussel or Bruxelles?

And surely Verschueren can't be serious about an 8-team league with Ajax, PSV, Feyernoord, and ??? from Holland and Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard Liege, and ??? from Belgium. I first thought he meant a super league composed of 8 teams each from Holland and Belgium, but he says a 14-team league is too big...

Tom

11. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Hi Tom !
    the reason the club is thinking about adding Brussels (in english) is that the management wants the club to be known worldwide as beeing a club from the capital of Europe (personnally I prefer the name like it is now).Regarding the use of english it's because as you may know in Belgium we have 3 national linguishes: dutch,french and german and the club has supporters in the whole country using english can be considered "diplomatic".
    Regarding Vershueren's projects the only one that can be considered "serious" regards the reduction of the championship to 14 clubs in the first division.He is supported by the other strong teams: Brugge,Standard and Genk.The other clubs are radically against this project (we can understand them !).He would like his proposal to be effective but he has to convince a lot of people and I personnaly think this won't be possible until season 2004-2005.
    If you have other questions don't hesitate.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Gerby. I know about Brussels because I used to live in St. Gilles way back a long time ago. Then, it seemed that most of the center city (or at least in my area) spoke French, but the surrounding areas spoke Vlaams. It wasn't until you went further south that most of the towns speak French. I went back a few years later and it seemed that a lot more people in Brussel spoke Vlaams than in the past. Maybe it's just that more people are bilingual and tend to speak their native language with each other.

I suppose if Anderlecht are looking to be a "big European club" then it would make sense, but I still like the traditional name. It reminds me of when Glasgow Rangers took the motto "Aye Ready" off their jersey a few years ago, because they thought a regional Scottish slang expression (meaning always ready) wouldn't fit the new image they wanted as a "world-class" club.

In some ways a Benelux (or maybe just Be-Ne, with no Lux) League might make sense, but it would definitely hurt the small clubs. As it is, a lot of clubs have merged over the years, and a lot of others will probably have to do that, or go out of buisness if the big clubs leave.

Tom

13. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    HI Tom,
    so you lived in Brussels ? I lived there too 15 years ago (in Ixelles).You're right when you say that most of the inhabitants have French has their mother tongue.In facts it'around 85% of them even as you wrote the city itself is located in the dutch speaking part of the country.
    Regarding Anderlecht the change of name won't be effective before several years I think.A large majority of supporters is again and wants the club to preserve its identity and leave the name like it is: RSC Anderlecht.
    The Beneleague will be discussed by the belgian and dutch top clubs chairmen regularly this season but I have no idea when it will be organised and with how many clubs.If the belgian league is re-organized with 14 clubs then this project will have no future.

Tonight: Westerlo-RSCA
    Game 1 of the season !!

Bye
    Gerby

14. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Westerlo-Anderlecht: 0-2 (Seol+OG).

Not a fantastic match.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerby how do you compare the Belgian leagues to the rest of Europe?

I've got a lot of questions for you - hope you don't mind.

By the way, grab a Duvel for me.

16. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Cheers PanicFC !!!!
    The level of our championship can be compared to the swedish,danish,norwegian,portuguese and dutch one.
    The main problem we have to be more competitive is of course MONEY !!! without money you can't get great players and increase your level of performance.That's why you will never see a belgian club going very far in champion's league or any other european cup.Now we have to be confident with our young players instead of buying foreigners (no racism in my sentence !!) which is a very good point.Clubs have to keep their money to teach very young players and bring them to the top in our country and then they can expect if they are really good to "sell" them to a top or subtop european club as a reward.
    If you have other questions please go ahead !

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was that Duvel?

Next, have some Mussels and a Duvel.

Okay, all leagues in Europe need to reduce the amount of foreigners if they are going to develop better players, but Belgium continues to have an open border.

Anderlecht has a good core of players, well had a good core a few years back, but the loss of Radwinski, Koller and Goor have left the team much weaker than expected.

Belgium will be the place for players to enter the big European competitions and move from their to bigger leagues.

With that in mind, Anderlecht should be looking at the US players...Mathis, the injured Josh Wolff, and company.

How is Broos doing at Anderlecht?

18. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    The Duvel was excellent, thanks !
    well you've made a good analysis of the club.
    This season is starting very well (3 victories in 3 games) and Broos is doing a good job (but as you know as long as the team wins the coach is good !).
    On September 19th we'll meet Staebaek (Norway) at the UEFA 1st round (1st leg in Brussels).That's very good.If we don't qualify we'll have to play another sport.In a little bit more than one hour I'm gonna watch AA Gent-Anderlecht.This is a tough game as Gent has never be an easy team to match and has always cause problems to Anderlecht. Well cross fingers for us please !!!!

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duvel is always good. My local wine & Spirits guy has it, but at $5 a bottle I don't drink it often.

I've been a fan of Belgian teams for a long time, went there in November 2000 and tried to see Anderlecht v Lazio, but wife and son were too tired to go, and my friend told me the game was sold out. It wasn't, but we didn't have any ideas how to get there.

Have a great time at the match...cheer for me as well.

20. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Anderlecht - AA Gent:2-2
    As I thought this was a tough match.Great opportunities for both sides.Result is deserved for Gent.
    For more details see on www.rsca.be (available in English).
    PanicFC 5$ a Duvel it's a shame !! The man shoould be in jail !!!!
    Personally I'm a Leffe fan (all of them !)
    I hope you'll have another opportunity to atempt to a game in Belgium.I only attempt to 2nd division matches in Virton (15 miles from home).It's too far for me to go t Brussels,Charleroi or Liege t watch a game.Now you also have to buy a special card named "fan card" where is mentionned your name,address,...and the club you're supporting.So if you support Anderlecht you cannot go and see Genk-Brugge.It's stupid because a lot of persons are not really fan of a club or are supporting one but often decided on Sunday morning to go in the afternoon to a certain game and without this card (costs +/- 12$/season) it's not possible to attempt a single 1st division match !.This was supposed to reduce hooliganism ! it only succeeded in reducing attendance !

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I visit that site and

More information on www.anderlecht-online.com <http://www.anderlecht-online.com>

Best regards,
    Purple Dynamite Webteam.
    www.anderlecht-online.com <http://www.anderlecht-online.com>
    http://purpledynamite.cjb.net

I like Leffe as well, I'll check if he has that one.

Virton...do they need a central defender? I have an American one who wants to try in Europe.

I've heard about this. In fact I think that is why they said we couldn't get tickets to the Lazio game.

How is Mr. Baseggio doing?

22. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Baseggio is doing fine thanks for him !
    He has now a lot of pressure from the dutch speaking journalists.It's due to his quite bad match last week end but those guy seem not to remember the previous matches when he was really the new boss of the team.
    He is supposed to become the new Marc Wilmots with the national team despite his rather young age (24) and he also dream to play in Italy so this year is an extremely important one for him.
    I'm glad to see that he reacts very well with the media and stays cool.I'm sure he'll be very good this year.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He impressed me in the couple of times I've seen him on TV.

Anderlecht hasn't replaced Radwinski or Koller, but it looks like Aussie Clayton Zane is excellent.

24. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    We do miss Koller and Radzinski but Gilles De Bilde is really good for the moment (if he continues like that he may be back in the national team),Seol is playing like during WC (the guy is surprising everybody !),Mornar was injured before the beginning of the championship but is coming back "fit and well".So you see our strikers are OK.The problem is Zane.He seems to have difficulties with the rythm.He is good with the B team but not enough to play regularly with A team.I hope it's just a question of weeks because such a tall player is a real danger for any defence.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the attack will be in good shape. Have they signed a younger goalkeeper yet?

Isn't the current guy, De Wilde, about 60 now?