Andalucian Team Predictions 2002-03

Discussion in 'Spain: Clubs' started by Pichi, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well with the upcoming season about to begin and with four teams representing Andalucia in this years liga who do you think out of the four will finish highest in the classification?

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    That's a tough one to call. Betis, Sevilla, and Malaga all will fight for a UEFA Cup spot I think. Recreativo will be fighting just to stay up (which I don't think they will). I really can't say who will finish the highest. Being a homer I'd say Sevilla but I am just hoping here.

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that this is a toughie. The signing market hasn't been all that active, so with everything equal, I think that things will end up about as they did last year. Betis will probably end up with the highest position in the table, with Sevilla and Malaga scrapping it out for a UEFA spot. Recreativo will be fighting for a spot which I'm sure their goal this year is just to stay in primera.

That said, things have a funny way of working out in La Liga. In the 1999-2000 season, Betis were supposed to contend for the title with the new signing of Denilson and ended up being relegated... (sorry Pichi)

Just for the record, I believe Malaga won the championship of Andalucia in Primera last year in the games between the teams...

Here's how the games turned out for the 2001-02 season:

Jornada 1 - Malaga-Betis result - 3-2
    Jornada 11 - Malaga-Sevilla result - 1-3
    Jornada 12 - Sevilla-Betis result - 0-0
    Jornada 20 - Betis-Malaga result - 1-1
    Jornada 30 - Sevilla-Malaga result - 0-2
    Jornada 31 - Betis-Sevilla result - 0-0

Malaga - 2 wins, 1 loss, 1 tie = 7 points
    Sevilla - 1 win, 1 loss, 2 ties = 5 points
    Betis - 0 wins, 1 loss, 3 ties = 3 points

So, I hereby award the inaugural Big Soccer Trofeo Andaluz to Malaga CF.

Who will win this year, and with one more team added to the mix?

4. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah but unless your team qualifies for the UEFA Cup via the intertoto you, Sevilla and Huelva will be watching Betis playing in the UEFA Cup on TV this year! Eat your heart out guys! ;>)

Saludos y Viva Er Eurobeti Manque Alfonso y Lopera!

Pichi

5. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but that may not be so good for Betis. Look what happened to Zaragoza and Mallorca while playing all those mid-week games. ;)

Seriously, Sevilla, Malaga and Betis should all show well and maybe fight for a European slot. I go with Sevilla as the best of the lot. They're a young team with an extra year experience. I hope Recreativo shows well, but it will be a fight to stay up. Order of finish:

Sevilla
    Betis :p
    Malaga
    Recreativo

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way Pichi, CD Malaga was the older incarnation of Malaga in the 80's before they went under financially. Malaga Club de Futbol is now the official name of the club.

My prediction since I didn't include that in my last post...

Betis
    Malaga
    Sevilla
    Recre

Malaga and Betis will be close this year...

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks for the correction, I knew that Malaga's previous team had disbanded due to bankruptcy but never realized they had
    it was CF not UD. I echo your predictions I think that this is the year for Betis to make the CL and Malaga to get a UEFA slot outright. What is hard to swallow is that in the years when no team wants to win the liga Betis plays like crap, but in the years when the champ wins with 5 games left in the liga Betis has a great season but to no avail!

Saludos y Viva Er Eurobeti manque alfonso y lopera!

Pichi