And the reinforcement is ... Erpen - The Argentine Defender?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by España '82, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: And the reinforcement is...

Definitely the offense. Out of 16 matches, we have 6 wins this season. Making us 2 pts away from the last playoff spot currently held by Metro.

How many 2 goal wins do we have this season?
    Saturday, April 2 @ Chivas USA W, 2-0 (notice the dates btw wins)
    Saturday, May 7 Columbus Crew W, 3-1 (notice the dates btw wins)
    Saturday, June 18 New England Revolution W, 2-0 (bit of a winning roll here... but)

How many 1 goal wins do we have this season?
    Saturday, May 21 Kansas City Wizards W, 3-2
    Wednesday, June 15 Chicago Fire W, 4-3
    Saturday, July 2 @ Columbus Crew W, 1-0

Definitely the offense. We have 4 draws, had some of those gone our way... We also have 5 games lost by 1 goal. So the defense is clearly keeping us in the game, but the offense, slump or no slump has to finish the chances, otherwise there won't be a 5th star this year.

2. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone willing to post a pronunciation guide (phonetic spelling)? Thanks.

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001

Crap, how good can a Argentine player be without a nickname? Facundo Erpen sounds like a lower G.I. malady. Please tell me they call him the Maldini of the Pampas or El Cannibal, or something.

5. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His club (Talleres) has the nickname of "Los Matadores" or "The Killers" so "El Matador" would seem to fit.

In terms of pronouncing the name, I believe it is:

Fa-kun-doe Er-pen

6. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Absolutely. I've said all along that the defense as it stands is a servicable MLS defense. I think that the deletion of Petke and the addition of Wilson is an even trade in on field skills ( but a positive on the financial side ).

The key seems to be getting goals, and getting them fairly early. I don't think that they need to score in the first 10 minutes, but not getting one until after the 70th minute puts a lot of pressure on the back line to hold.

If they don't get somebody who can score, then we better hope that Tino comes back from Camp Arena ready to go....and do it for the duration.

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Somebody told me that he had a boyfriend, that looked like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year.....

8. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004

I watch the Argentine league but I've never heard of him or at least don't recall. I won't write him off though he may still be a good player, at least hes young so they'll be room for improvement.

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001

Was that the mustache or the one eyebrow that made you think of the similarity? (couldn't help it) Are you implying the guy's a **************?

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I think this is the hairy chested Argentinian that Nowak has always wanted. :D

11. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA

There's already been an "El Matador" in MLS, didn't work out so well. Let's try to come up with something else. Maybe "La Araña que Ladra" (can that be masculinized?) to pay homage to his lower GI disease sounding name (at least according to nickthegreek). ;)

Cherno

12. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United

Except things that get you a yellow card in Argentina will get you a red card in MLS!

13. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
  14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: Erpen - The Argentine Defender?

Behold my moderatorly power!

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was a Killers reference.

17. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen

"Características técnicas:
    Un jugador con buena técnica, fuerte y con mucho temperamento; tiene muy buen salto, lo que le permite cabecear tanto en su área como en el área rival."

I believe "temperamento" is more akin to "temperance". In other words, he is NOT the type to pick up unnecessary cards and such. From my Velazquez English/Spanish dictionary, temperamento, def. #2: Arbitration, compromise, means for ending disputes or dissensions.

The rest of this description (http://www.balon-sa.com.ar/web/erpen.htm) re-states what has already been translated on the MLS Website (...a very skilled player, strong and level-headed; he is very good in the air, in his own box or in the rival team's box).

I'm not the most cunning of linguists :cool: but I would say that someone with good temperamento is "level-headed", not someone with "a temper".

18. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    From La Voz del Interior
    Martes, 12 de Julio (July 12) [???]

Espera a Facundo Erpen ("Waiting for Facundo Erpen")

Con la salida de Luciano Nicotra, el Tomba necesita urgente un marcador central. Todos los cañones le apuntan a Facundo Erpen, quien podría irse de Talleres porque al club le decretaron la quiebra y hace rato que no paga los sueldos. De todas maneras, aún no se resolvió el tema y siguen las negociaciones.

TRANSLATION

"With the leaving of Luciano Nicotra, the Tomba urgently need a central defender. All the gun barrels point to Facundo Erpen, who may be able to leave Talleres because the club declared itself bankrupt and has not been paying wages for a while. At any rate, it is still not resolved and the negotiations continue."

In other news, I propose the following nickname for Mr. Erpen: El Vaquero ("The Cowboy").

19. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia

Oh. I thought that meant he was born in 1883, and I was a bit concerned.

:D

20. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Yeah, "Fvckin Erpen?!????" is exactly what I was thinking. :D

I am always excited to get new and exciting players on DC United, but I just hope this doesnt stop us from addressing more important needs on the team (say a forward IF Esky continues to be hurt/ineffective)

While I try to be an optimist, I always get the bad feeling that we are always a step behind in player aquistions... I mean are we getting Erpen based on real current need? Or is this simply because we thought we needed defensive help, pre Wilson/Boswell and already had our line in the water?

I have never liked the way we obtain players, it just SEEMS (and i could be wrong and will admit it) so half assed. --Does this team even pay a scoutllet alone a staff? We always seem to go into a season thinking we are set... panic... amass a stack of VIDEO TAPES (mind you not first person scouting reports... our coaches oddly have to fly off to do that in person) and then piss around for 3-4 months trying to get a guy in for a workout/visa/god knows what.

21. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a good feeling about this bandido....

Even if we needed this lined up end of last year...he may be a nice spark for our team!

~worm~

Unless he is bench fodder?

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    With Namoff out for a while and with no guarantee of him coming back quickly, a move for a defender is a pretty good idea. Prideaux is fluctuating between good and bad now on a weekly basis and Boswell is showing signs of hitting the rookie wall. Stokes keeps getting hurt in games, and no other rookie has shown signs of being able to step in if one of our starters go down. We need this move for depth and for flexibility, as we have way too many games to play in the next few months to be forced to rely on less than a handful of players.

23. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe I am missing this in other places but can someone tell us/me how Erpen's signing effects the teams ability to bring in other players (if necessary) later in the season?

IS this it as far as adding new players goes?

24. frcool

frcool Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Since he's from Argentina, "The Cowboy" should be El Gaucho.

My cousin in Argentina named his son Facundo, and they call him Facu for short. I've always hoped they don't bring him to the States and call him that. :)

25. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We waited all this time for a player from a 2nd division Argentine side that has recently gone bankrupt?

Why does this not make me feel better?