And the next WBA manager will be... [R]

Discussion in 'West Bromwich Albion' started by DevilDave, Oct 26, 2004.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The presidential election here in the United States - one week from today - will have a massive impact on the way this country is run, and will have repercussions throughout the world.

And almost as important... ;)

... the decision that WBA Chairman Jeremy Peace and the Albion board must make could impact the future of West Bromwich Albion Football Club for years to come.

The new manager will need to earn the respect of his players quickly. He will need to assess their skills and strengths quickly and adapt them into his system. We need a manager who will make good decisions on team selection, and can tell in two months' time (or less) where we need to strengthen during the January transfer window and what players may be surplus to requirements.

If the new manager fails to keep Albion in the top flight after the investments the club has made this season, it will be a nightmare. Albion fans don't want to go back to the days when we had a revolving door of managers who were unable to lift the club from the mediocrity of the First Division/Championship.

So choose, Mr Peace... choose well.

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: And the next WBA manager will be...

The BBC reported on their Albion page indicate that former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier, ex-Saints manager Gordon Strachan and former England boss Glenn Hoddle are allegedly the three favourites of WBA Chairman Jeremy Peace.

Meanwhile, the likes of Bryan Robson, Micky Adams and John Gregory have said outright that they are interested in the job.

3. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: And the next WBA manager will be...

The answer to the title question...

Robbo.

I've got to get to work... my thoughts on this later.

4. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK not quite the Robson some were thinking...

But another former Baggie... who really made his name as captain of England and a Manchester United player. But known more recently as the man under whom Middlesbrough surpassed Sunderland (arguably) as the number two team in the North-East. But Boro fans have mixed feelings about Robbo's long tenure as their team's manager. He led them to high points, but they were more recently in danger of relegation from the Premiership. A familiar situation to Albion fans...

I want to reserve my judgment until he's had a few games in charge. Sunday's televised match which marks Robson's debut as manager - against the club he left - will obviously be one many people will scrutinise.

Also Robbo has named former Boro captain Nigel Pearson as his number two.

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    wow ,thats a bad choice .
    His spell as Bradford manager was very mediocre and suddenly he gets a job in the premiership .

6. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, I'd forgotten about Robson's more recent job...

But weren't the Bantams already firmly entrenched in the bottom half of the then-First Division when Robson took over there? He didn't have anywhere close to the resources he had at Boro or will have at Albion.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Robson did not create Bradford City's problems. IIRC he was brought after the summer Bradford had to cancel all player contracts and scamper to bring in some very cheaps players in hopes of not vanishing completely as a club. If you're going to question Robson in regards to his time at Bradford, I'd suggest questioning why the h*ck he took the job in the first place.